Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2021 6:21:35 PM EDT
Alrighty,
So my 10.5" build is coming together.  Just got my Red McCloud brace.  Final thing I need is an optic.  Due to my astigmatism, a traditional dot is out.  I found this out with my Aimpoint.  SO, without spending "Aimpoint money" what are some good examples of Holographic or Prism sights?  I was looking at a Spitfire, but I just saw the thread for the new PA 1x prism sight.  I was also thinking of a Holosun 510 with green reticle, but they're nowhere to be found.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the EE frequently.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check the EE frequently.
View Quote

Yep.  I check every day....I'm usually too slow.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#3]
If I'm not mistaken, the only holographic sights are either Eotech or the Vortex Huey.  I'm a fan of the Vortex.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#4]
The current Primary Arms 1x Cyclops is good. If the only issues with your eyes is astigmatism, you'll probably be fine with the small reticle (I was).

There's also the Swampfox Blade 1x prism. Great quality optic; large, easy-to-see reticle; great features; and affordable. Neat Bullet Rise Compensating reticle. Only downside is that it is a bit chunkier than the Cyclops and uses a proprietary mount.

You already mentioned the Vortex offering. Never used it because I wasn't a fan of the reticle, but some people love it.

Last one I know of is the Bushnell Lil P. Some people really like it, but I don't have any experience with it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used most of them.

Vortex spitfire is simple dot with a circle. Great for up-close things where you would use a red dot.  

Swampfox blade has a bit more flexibility insofar as reticle and subtension - great for a CQB weapon.  a bit heavy and clunky. Shake awake feature is nice.

Eotech and Vortex Huey are the traditional holographic site.  I have shot both and I could see them both as a battle site. I don't like them as much for precision target shooting beyond 100 Yards.  No problem with man size targets 200 yards plus.

Reticle on primary arms 1x was too small to be anything more than a red dot to me.  I am waiting on a 2x.

Have not used holosun but they look nice if you can find them.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Least expensive will be the lil P at natchez shooter's supplies, it is 149.00. It is also the smallest prismatic at this point. I have a couple of those, and they work great for what they are. Bright illumination, and lifetime warranty.
I also have several 1x Spitfire from Vortex. It is larger and heavier, bit I am a fan of the drt reticle. It is very basic, and in my opinion as close as a simple dot like a red dot has. Good illumination, and lifetime warranty.
I have an eotech xps2 sitting in it's box. It is the only optic I have that has failed on me, and they wanted to charge me to fix a known problem they had. Their warranty sucks, and I will never buy another one of their products.
I personally don't need a ranging reticle in a 1x optic, to me simple is better, and these are the ones I have experience with.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Vortex Spitfire (old model) is where I ended up when I was chosing.

Etched reticle works even if battery dies.
Red or green daylight-bright illumination.
Twist knob not buttons.
Clean, clear glass.
Includes a mount.
Decent price ($250).

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies so far.  I don't really need any fancy reticle, it's going on a 10.5" pistol/range toy.  The blade seems pretty darn bid, whereas the Lil'P seems awfully tiny.  Hopefully we'll start seeing some reviews on the new PA 1X.  Hopefully, it's not too $$.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Vortex UH-1 but have not used it yet, waiting for the BRN-180S upper to be restocked. However, Primary Arms just released the gen2 SLX Cyclops 1x17 MicroPrism scope and it looks pretty sweet and it is only $250. I have an astigmatism so I had to ditch my MRO which was really awesome little green dot scope.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Vortex UH-1 but have not used it yet, waiting for the BRN-180S upper to be restocked. However, Primary Arms just released the gen2 SLX Cyclops 1x17 MicroPrism scope and it looks pretty sweet and it is only $250. I have an astigmatism so I had to ditch my MRO which was really awesome little green dot scope.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm def watching for that.  It's not out yet though...is it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top