Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2020 10:43:43 AM EDT
A buddy gave me this. An unused tube of 33. Is this good to use for AR receiver threads?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Just to be clear, the manual calls for Aeroshell 33ms (now Aeroshell 64) and 33 isn't the same thing; I think 33 lacks moly, but not 100% sure. I only draw the distinction because some don't realize 33ms was renamed to 64 and assume 33 is what they want to follow the mil-spec.

That said, it'd be fine.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I here lots of people talk about this grease, they say this is the stuff to use on the barrel nut threads. I have not heard why this is better or what about it makes it better? What about a moly type grease or a high pressure bearing type grease?

Not trying to stir up shit, I am just looking for information

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I here lots of people talk about this grease, they say this is the stuff to use on the barrel nut threads. I have not heard why this is better or what about it makes it better? What about a moly type grease or a high pressure bearing type grease?

Not trying to stir up shit, I am just looking for information

Thanks
View Quote

Literally any quality EP Moly grease will work.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just to be clear, the manual calls for Aeroshell 33ms (now Aeroshell 64) and 33 isn't the same thing; I think 33 lacks moly, but not 100% sure. I only draw the distinction because some don't realize 33ms was renamed to 64 and assume 33 is what they want to follow the mil-spec.

That said, it'd be fine.

View Quote

5% Molybdenum disulphide added for 33MS.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
So what is the possible issue if you use the wrong grease ?

Just put two uppers together and used whatever the brown grease
I have for the Garand is.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The grease is really an anti seize method, less of a functional reason. That way you can unscrew everything much easier later on down the road. With that said, I used tetra grease for my builds as recommended by Fulton Armory in their book.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The grease is really an anti seize method, less of a functional reason. That way you can unscrew everything much easier later on down the road. With that said, I used tetra grease for my builds as recommended by Fulton Armory in their book.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Torque values in the TM are based on greased threads. TVs will not be the same on dry fittings. Grease prevents galling of fittings.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Torque values in the TM are based on greased threads. TVs will not be the same on dry fittings. Grease prevents galling of fittings.
View Quote

This is my understanding, has to do with the torque values.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#10]
That is the wrong grease, it isn't the 33ms.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Evidently products containing graphite (and possibly other additives depending on the specific components in question) can promote galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals such as the receivers threads and (most commonly) steel barrel nut, also the receiver "snout" id and steel barrel extension. Anodizing has electrical insulating properties but only if it is not compromised, seasoning threads by repetitively tightening and loosening a steel barrel nut on anodized aluminum threads is not the ideal way to maintain the integrity of the anodizing imo and I would not trust anodizing as a sole means of preventing galvanic corrosion in this application personally.

Thread fatigue, galling, corrosion and inaccurate torque values are all possible with use of improper lubricants.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:29:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Galvanic corrosion is a reaction formed when two unlike metals come in contact with electrolytes in an electrochemical rection. This reaction is known as galvanic corrosion. This corrosion occurs when there is the presence of bimetallic couple in between dissimilar metals within the solution or electrolyte. Without all these components, galvanic corrosion will not take place.

The most common electrolytes are chloride as well as contaminants with chloride like:

•Road salts
•Seawater
•Cleaning agents
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:46:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Galvanic corrosion is a reaction formed when two unlike metals come in contact with electrolytes in an electrochemical rection. This reaction is known as galvanic corrosion. This corrosion occurs when there is the presence of bimetallic couple in between dissimilar metals within the solution or electrolyte. Without all these components, galvanic corrosion will not take place.

The most common electrolytes are chloride as well as contaminants with chloride like:

•Road salts
•Seawater
•Cleaning agents
View Quote

Ahh..but according to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Advisory Circular AC43.13-1B ACCEPTABLE METHODS, TECHNIQUES, AND PRACTICES - AIRCRAFT INSPECTION AND REPAIR section 6-90 (d)

"d. Graphite should not be used as a lu-
bricant for any component. Graphite is ca-
thodic to all structural metals and will generate
galvanic corrosion in the presence of moisture,
especially if the graphite is applied in dry
form."

In subpart C they even go as far as to say

"c. Do not mark on any metal surface with
a graphite pencil"

The document can be found here in PDF format.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentid/99861
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Will it be ok? Probably. If it were my OCD, I'd buy the right stuff. Plus I'm really not a fan of lithium grease. You can buy enough to build 25 rifles from multiple sources for under $10. I think that I might even still have some in stock.

You also have a second option. You could be like Colt circa 2011 and not use any grease. The worst that that would happen would be that you'd have to cut the barrel nut assembly off of the receiver.

Ask me how I know .....
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This^

Actually, the cheap STP Moly-EP has better specs. I just use it. But as long as it’s a Moly grease and NOT a graphite grease, you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This^

Actually, the cheap STP Moly-EP has better specs. I just use it. But as long as it’s a Moly grease and NOT a graphite grease, you should be good to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This^

I've been using a moly, PTFE, and graphite mix for YEARS without issue.

The issue of galvanic corrosion is completely overblown for barrel nuts.  The only place I regularly see galvanic corrosion occur is with cheap ass detents that are NOT cadmium plated.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The issue of galvanic corrosion is completely overblown for barrel nuts.  The only place I regularly see galvanic corrosion occur is with cheap ass detents that are NOT cadmium plated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This^

Agreed!  Funny that you brought it up, one of my rifles I assembled many moons ago with a cheap PSA LPK had a case of the frosty detents.  I was disturbed, for sure.

I have pulled many barrels from years of use, no issues with corrosion.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That said, it'd be fine.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Agreed!  Funny that you brought it up, one of my rifles I assembled many moons ago with a cheap PSA LPK had a case of the frosty detents.  I was disturbed, for sure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This^

Drives me insane.

Everyone jumps up and down about galvanic corrosion in regards to grease on the barrel nut - yet completely ignores the very likely galvanic corrosion that can occur that WILL impact weapon performance.

I think it's yet another case of hens cackling about something they know little about.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

> hens cackling
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That said, it'd be fine.
View Quote

I think you're correct.   I, of course, bought this same tube when I built mine (before 33ms was changed to 64).  So now I have a full tube of the wrong grease.   I used it anyway.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

> hens cackling

You know I'm right lol
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You know I'm right lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

> hens cackling

You know I'm right lol

Undoubtedly man.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#25]
10 years on a 6721 upper, Used loctite 271 (red)  everything still fine. IIRC I did the extension and threads.

per JP instructions.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I just used Amsoil red general purpose lithium grease to assemble an upper. Am I going to die?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Not this shit again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
I just used Amsoil red general purpose lithium grease to assemble an upper. Am I going to die? 
View Quote

Welcome to life, no one gets out alive.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top