Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2021 12:15:08 AM EDT
Hey there! Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm having a lot of issues with my recent aero precision epc build.

My pistol is 100% Aero parts and build from a complete aero 5" complete upper.

No matter what I do, including sending the firearm back to them for inspection, ends with my gun pushing 5 out of 6 bullets about 50% back into the case when chambering the first round out of other a fully loaded 27 round Magpul mag or a 33 round Glock factory mag.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice I'd really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd recommend contacting their CS, they are quite responsive.

I've had the one of the EPCs since it debuted, it has run flawlessly. Have you tried other mags? perhaps factory 15 or 17rd glock mags? Only reason I mention it, is that I've seem some PCCs (not my EPC personally) have issues with extended mags if the individual is gripping or putting pressure on the magazine itself.

It also could just be a barrel/feed ramp issue. Regardless, I'd contact aero to get it sorted out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Factory ammo or your reloads? What bullet profile?
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
should probably post this in the PCC forum "Rimfire & Pistol Caliber".  that forum is overflowing with 9mm AR's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#5]
 AMMO...what brands.... reloads.... shape of projectiles, etc. ?
Flat point sometimes have issues....weak crimp on reloads could also cause problems.

Magazines....new.....well used....?

Worn springs can cause feeding issues.
New mags sometimes also have some issues....though not very often.
Try down loading 3-4 rounds and see if they feed the 1st round more reliably.

Next would be place weapon to safe, lock back BCG.

Take one round, load it into a mag. Load mag into rifle.

Now....look into the chamber, and  watch the action as you SLOWLY release the charging handle and letting the bolt close into the chamber.

Verify it strips the round and feeds it into the chamber.

Bonus points if you take video.....and upload onto a site you can link on here.

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 5:56:16 AM EDT
[#6]
https://app.photobucket.com/images/y396/jhwalkington79/PXL_20210720_210256374.jpg?Expires=1626861623&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIUSKKMKJH4ONW7TQ&Signature=q6EB0rSPAAgmqC7JbMcqd-VNKlx-xARti9q1UWxJlOHZTjR8z26g-Ux6iZeywakaaHZxlJSmOE81Z~zEbo5Ta~7DGLyzeslP7jv08Qluxxb4DZ9Ny8ZomYVZAvuHPgcM5r-Kurg06a-MCUzMAN-U7eAFGldem5hnh9M5jEsT-heOaqDooI4HDNy6oXVxEbSfMUTORG0q03dMwbZBJ9vmjCE4AT3izKpJMbkOL3B52zxO6MqtaXNZJ98SNoJmtmzAv9lTA~2bQ0u-FsTkPXkh1bLtn9kp5G-a2NHg7T0EQzn04xTHZ9DPQRSSk9u8ASuRsUosNHwRuZzykgIQhZnQ6g__
https://app.photobucket.com/images/y396/jhwalkington79/PXL_20210720_210252089.jpg?Expires=1626861623&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIUSKKMKJH4ONW7TQ&Signature=2mm5ko1bSL7ApZ1Oz~bva6V-agH75WmE1a~2v36MAYypfqUebpEJCjW7zmqZd9Ij7u08PKX9ffpGV4Rm8QsMYbSBtR3AmwUmNxBhGYg7tbmF~V13hr0-DcDTn0hkW4uuhHme3FpPWqJUKwlTIlFd6acwxCGOZgw4BNFzpKnqqRcJ5vAQwMkf9j~wfTL~EI9CLEsUCR-4QQi8zTOn-GJYYxDeJDvfLzg-Q8gWGpIptPt2PYLOtq0kDDK4lOw~tJE2Rn4czp5vhKcUj5y48Ud2LL~xj2HJKl88SuReujKyC1h0ol0vNXBr3XsqgDDOcdMhQtonsson2hDS9JlmnEXIKw__
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Tried to upload some pictures, not sure if it worked.

Brand new magazines and factory Winchester round nose fmj ammo (nice and pointy).

Someone mentioned feed ramp issue...what feed ramp ??

Not really willing to try magazines with a lower capacity since it was sold to me with the Magpul 27 rounders.

All brand new aero parts in the gun so it shouldn't be a spring issue.

I've already sent the gun back to aero and it was returned to me with a short video of them firing 3 magazines loaded with 5 rounds each. Not really my issue.

Was just going I wasn't the only one with this issue ??
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#8]
No matter what I do, including sending the firearm back to them for inspection, ends with my gun pushing 5 out of 6 bullets about 50% back into the case when chambering the first round out of other a fully loaded 27 round Magpul mag or a 33 round Glock factory mag.
View Quote

You're describing a very common problem with 9mm blowbacks.  Sounds like you need the feed cone re-profiled so it feeds properly.  Most manufacturers are sill using a feed cone/ramp design from the 80's because they dont know any better.

Contact Rudy at Macon Armory ( @mad-machinist here on the forums ).  His feed cone work fixed all my feeding problems.  He's done it for a lot of members who will vouch for his work.

Edit: picture for reference

A Macon Armory feed cone:

[Image of chamber feed cone]

My site: Blowback9.com

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Does the feed cone require me doing any modifications to three bolt face or require me using a completely different bolt?
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the feed cone require me doing any modifications to three bolt face or require me using a completely different bolt?
View Quote

No changes needed to be made to the bolt or bolt face.  I just sent the barrel to Rudy and he reprofiled it.  I also bought a guaranteed-to-feed barrel directly from him already machined that way. Both have run over 1000 rounds without any issues. Suppressed and unsuppressed, 115, 124, and 147gr factory FMJ rounds, and 147gr HST hollowpoints no problem. Boringly reliable.

Strongly recommend a 7.5 oz or greater extended length deadblow buffer paired with a standard carbine spring as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it a factory built upper/lower, did you buy it from someone who put it together or did you put it together? I got my mine finished the week and it runs great. What bolt is it? Have you tried different mags? I would try factory Glock mags.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]
i'm guessing, with your 27rd or 33rd mags fully loaded, the spring pressure on the first few rounds is causing them to launch out of the mags at a flatter trajectory, they then don't make it into the Aero factory feed cone.  sometimes it's due to the shape of the mag follower.  probably got a lot of copper witness marks just under the feed cone on the barrel face from the bullet impact.  after the first 5-6 rds, it seems like your mag spring pressure isn't as great, and the bolt and mag feed lips, mag follower are able to launch them at a better angle to get them into the feed cone.  After all, your barrel feed cone isn't anywhere close to what a Glock barrel feed ramp looks like.

if these are new mags, after the mag springs are broken in, i'm guessing this problem will disappear.

Aero gets their barrels from Ballistic Advantage.  I had a 9mm BA barrel, sent it to Rudy for his magic.  no feeding problems.  I've sent five 9mm barrels to him for his feed cone enhancement so that I can avoid this headache.  The last few, I sent them to Rudy before installing them, just to save me the trouble of having to disassemble the upper to send the barrel out.

if your feed cone looks like a primitive 45-degree chamfer, it's a prime candidate for Rudy's fix.

as always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You're describing a very common problem with 9mm blowbacks.  Sounds like you need the feed cone re-profiled so it feeds properly.  Most manufacturers are sill using a feed cone/ramp design from the 80's because they dont know any better.

Contact Rudy at Macon Armory ( @mad-machinist here on the forums ).  His feed cone work fixed all my feeding problems.  He's done it for a lot of members who will vouch for his work.

https://i.imgur.com/YAfGP9Y_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

View Quote

I am a member of the EPC9 Facebook group that Aero also is in and monitors. Most of the function issues I have seen with the EPC9 have to do with the feed cone. Macon is the answer (or a barrel that is not the Aero/Ballistic Advantage).
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I know ballistic advantage and aero barrels are the same. I've had 2 5.5" ba 9mm barrels and both of the feed cones were pretty much non existent. It would only feed round nose. I had rudy fix one and the other is in the spare parts bin.

Haven't had any issues with failure to feed and the bullet pushback since. No idea why pcc bbl mfgs make bbls with no feedcone.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I just ordered an Aero barrel.  I'm glad I found this thread before I assembled everything.  I just messaged Mad-Machinist about getting the feed cone re-profiled.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just ordered an Aero barrel.  I'm glad I found this thread before I assembled everything.  I just messaged Mad-Machinist about getting the feed cone re-profiled.
View Quote

Just order one of Rudy's barrels. It is what I did and it has functioned great.  My only issues have been running suppressed with really heavy bullets, 158gr subs.  With those I get a failure every couple mags, but half the time the trigger fails to reset and it doesnt seem to be a feeding issue.  I mostly shoot 147gr subs and they run like a champ.  I also use one of the Macon dead blow buffers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#19]
What mods need to be done to bcg when using a macon barrel?
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:55:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What mods need to be done to bcg when using a macon barrel?
View Quote

none.  didn't need to do anything to any of mine, regular ol' commercial off the shelf BCGs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:00:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This

I had a Ballistic Advantage barrel that caused the same issue. IIRC Aero uses BA barrels in their builds. Having him reprofile it was worth it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:02:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OK, as this Aero issue is getting out of hand, I have a EPC receiver set inbound so I can build a test platform to find out exactly what is wrong with the lower, I suspect too much similarity to New Frontier...........if all of those who have had issues fixed by me would suggest to Aero that they contact me for consulting services, I'll be happy to help. I have offered my consulting services by email and my communications have been met with deafening silence. It is getting to the point I can't make my own stuff due to the flood of EPC stuff.
View Quote

Oh wow, when I sent you that barrel a long time ago, I didn't mention it but the lower was a New Frontier lower.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#23]
For the record, I don’t doubt Rudy on what he says about the barrel needing tweaks. That said, my EPC9 has been 100% for several hundred rounds, albeit all FMJ ammo in oem glock mags, with a BAD bcg, aero spring, and buffer.  Sample size of 1, and it’s only with 115 and 124gr ball thus far.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I have one of Rudy's barrels in a 9mm Colt pattern SBR and it runs great and I would buy from him again. I have also built 2 EPCs and both have run fine with a variety of ammo. One did require a mag or two to break it in before it would run. Both were built with all Aero parts, except for a Tool Craft BCG in one of them and I have only used Glock 24 or 33 round mags.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is my BA barrel Rudy profiled for me. Works flawless now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here is my BA barrel Rudy profiled for me. Works flawless now.
https://u.cubeupload.com/Jpatnorman77/20200409151650.jpg
View Quote

Great work. Honestly my biggest hang up was probably 147gr and hollow points before he did the work
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#27]
How much did it cost to have the feed ramp worked on by Rudy from Macon Armory?
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honestly give him an IM. I cant remember exactly but it was very reasonable and had a quick turn around at the time.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last check it was about $85, but that may have changed. Rudy would need to confirm.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top