User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2018 6:46:39 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Tried shooting it for the first time today...after each round, I had to manually extract the casing. Sometimes it was pretty tough to get them out. I don’t believe the BCG is even cycling. 2 different types of factory ammo (Hornady & Federal).

I have no idea if it’s related, but I noticed all the casings have a noticeable scratch in the same place:

Attachment Attached File

It’s a build that the previous owner never fired; has all AP parts, black nitride BCG, and heavy buffer installed. Bolt has 3 gas rings on it. I really don’t know a lot about .308 AR’s.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of gas block? Is it adjustable? Can you see the gas tube?

If the BCG isn't moving AT ALL it could be the gas tube was accidently put in upside down... I've seen that before.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm far from the best one to answer this... so I'll be curious to see what the pro's say..

The extraction issue like the there is an issue with the extractor, the extractor spring.. I'd take a close look at the extractor and then break the BCG apart... although... that scratch on the front of the casing might be a defect in the barrel or something in the barrel that the rounds may be catching on. If the casing is getting hung up and the extractor can't pull it out that might be the problem.  That's a BIG problem, if the round is not seating correctly and there is some sort of impingement that may cause gas to escape around the round and back into the rifle. That could lead to a catastrophic failure.   You may want to check out the rim of the rounds for scratching and the primer for loosening.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If the BCG isn't moving AT ALL it could be the gas tube was accidently put in upside down... I've seen that before.
View Quote
Uhhhh or what he said  lol...

I'd still be concerned with the scratches on the casings.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
my guess to the scratching is the brass being scraped by the barrel extension lug. how many rounds did you shoot though? ive had ars with all new parts take maybe 20 rounds before things start to loosen up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pic of gas tube:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe it's just the pic... but it looks upside down to me. Can you tap out the retaining roll pin and pull the gas tube out and check? It's easy...
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Usually when the BCG does not move AT ALL... the gas tube is upside down... I've fit half a dozen builds from other folks over the years due to this.

You can also look to see if ANY gas has made it to the BCG.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
That gas tube doesn't look right, OP.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep!  Others already said it.  Based on that pic the gas tube is upside down.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep gas tube is upside down.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys....how does that impact gas reaching the BCG? I never would’ve guessed the tube orientation would be so critical.

Just to be sure, when everyone is saying “upside-down”, does that simply mean the tube needs to rotate 180 degrees, or does it need to flipped around so the end by the receiver flips to the muzzle side?

And how do I go about correcting it? Like I said my AR10 knowledge is about nil
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks guys....how does that impact gas reaching the BCG? I never would’ve guessed the tube orientation would be so critical.

Just to be sure, when everyone is saying “upside-down”, does that simply mean the tube needs to rotate 180 degrees, or does it need to flipped around so the end by the receiver flips to the muzzle side?

View Quote
Just push out the roll pin and spin it 180 degrees. Then put the pin back in.

eta: How it impacts the gas flow is that the hole in the gas tube does not align with the hole in the gas block when it's upside down.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes... upside down as in 180-degrees... not backwards as in needing flipped. Knock pin out, rotate, reinstall pin.

The single gas hole is on the side of the tube before the crimped/sealed part. Note the hole THROUGH the gas tube AFTER where the tube end is crimped/sealed, that's for the pin. Then notice the single hole at the bottom, before the sealed crimp area. The hole must be oriented down facing the gas port hole in the barrel.

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Am I the only one who can't wait for an update on this thread?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#16]
@OBird did you fix it yet?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Not yet; really busy this weekend...tomorrow afternoon hopefully
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#18]
i'm also waiting to see how this turns out...
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Id probably replace the whole tube, its bent so it'll fit into the lower and that will either be a pain to re-assemble correct or at least be aesthetically a minor issue. But flipping right side up will definitely fix the problem.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Is this now a safe thread?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#22]
My stupid punch set is all tapered so I couldn’t get the roll pin out

Will have to continue....after I get new punches...and possibly a new gas tube
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My stupid punch set is all tapered so I couldn’t get the roll pin out

Will have to continue....after I get new punches...and possibly a new gas tube
View Quote
I'm just fucking with you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#24]
At least it's an easy fix...
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Id probably replace the whole tube, its bent so it'll fit into the lower and that will either be a pain to re-assemble correct or at least be aesthetically a minor issue. But flipping right side up will definitely fix the problem.
View Quote
Vilya makes a good point. If the tube has been forced to fit then you may have an alignment issue with the upper, gas key or both once it is properly oriented. I'd probably order a new one just to avoid headaches.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]
At this point, I would also check the gas key on the bcg to make sure it's not mangled from banging against a misaligned tube.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At this point, I would also check the gas key on the bcg to make sure it's not mangled from banging against a misaligned tube.
View Quote
Previous owner never fired it, OP was hand-cycling individual rounds....if the gas key is mangled from hand-cycling a few rounds, then OP might could want to buy a whole new BCG if that's the quality standard.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Just when I thought I had seen it all..........

That rifle absolutely should NOT cycle the BCG when fired.  If it did, something would be wrong with the world.

I've seen plenty of gas tubes installed backwards, but never upside-down.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:53:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd bet that either alcohol was present during assembly, or, the workshop is very dimly lit.  visualizing: 15w lightbulb dangling from a cord...

or, talking on the cell phone while installing gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Day 15
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#32]
@OBird

Any update?
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@OBird

Any update?
View Quote
Yup:

Attachment Attached File

That roll pin will simply not budge.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
in which case you might have to remove the gas block off the front of the barrel:
loosen and remove muzzle device;
loosen set screws on gas block;
pull gas block and gas tube assembly off the barrel.

inspect the gas block though the set screw hole to see if gas tube is installed upside down (blocked).
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yup:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/62477/image-687607.JPG

View Quote
No way... send that upper to me, I'll square it away for free.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 2:37:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yup:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/62477/image-687607.JPG

View Quote
That's pretty impressive. I too will fix it for free if you cover the shipping. I'll even function check it before I send it back. Do you know what length that gas tube is?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Same here. I'll fix it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#38]
It's possible there's so much tension on the gas tube being bent upward like that, that the pin has too much pressure against it holding it in place.

Maybe back off the gas block screws, tap it off the barrel, and see if freeing it from that tension helps?

or just dremel and a cutoff wheel CAREFULLY cut thru the gas tube and see if that helps.

ETA:  Get a proper roll pin punch as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the offers guys! I might just do that....but the seller offered to buy it back due to the issues. He didn’t build it, someone else did...but it was sold at a silent auction for charity so I feel kinda bad. I got everything in the top picture for $1150, minus the sling/bipod/foregrip.

Good enough deal that it’s worth keeping it and working the bugs out?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#40]
It should cost you $20 to fix it. Why would you return it over that? Buy another tube, buy a proper roll pin punch, and take the 5 minutes to fix it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Dremel cut that gas block 98% thru to barrel then use a screw driver to crack it off.

Then new (Adjustable) gas block and gas tube
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Might as well check the torque on the barrel nut while you have it apart. Who know what else he assembled wrong before you got it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Dremel cut that gas block 98% thru to barrel then use a screw driver to crack it off.

Then new (Adjustable) gas block and gas tube
View Quote

Don't do this..
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#45]
You need better punches. I've bent tons on the gas tube.

Got some punches from Germany, Rein something or another. Been good for a few years now.

Keep the rifle, get some better punches, a small ball peen hammer and you'll be good to go.

You won't need a new gas block, it's not kinked. I doubt there is any damage to the portion going to the gas key.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I purchased cheap US punches from HomeDepot and they're not tempered, my 1/16" looks similar.  Junk.  My Chinese Wheeler punches are trash also, but they're tempered and do not bend easily.

Trash your gas tube. Buy a single high quality 1/16" punch. You should also spend the money on a premium gas tube.  I use Colt Defense, many commercial tubes are trash. can use cheaper punches for the larger ones if you have to. Inspect your BCG for damage.  It looks like your barrel may have an issue use chamber guages to check specs.  Go/NoGo.  If everything checks out reinstall new gas tube and lube.  Function check and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone telling you to use regular punches on a roll pin is a retard.

Roll pin starters:

Roll pin punches (note the nipple which goes in the hole to support the interior diameter, while the punch drives the pin):

Get a set of both.  Using the wrong tool for the job is no reason to get pissed when the tool fails.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Roll pin starters:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61AArEcltOL._SL1500_.jpg

Roll pin punches (note the nipple which goes in the hole to support the interior diameter, while the punch drives the pin):

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/880x660/Primary/191/191653.jpg

Get a set of both.  Using the wrong tool for the job is no reason to get pissed when the tool fails.
View Quote
+1 on the correct punches. If you intend to Assemble AR's or maintain them, then getting the correct tools is an early investment which will go far to avoid later, greater expenses to replace ruined components.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I've never used roll pin punches and I've never ruined a split pin or roll pin? Split pins and roll pins are cheap and should be replaced after they've been installed and removed for the most part.  If these punches help you get the job done, then wonderful. But saying they are a requirement is absurd.  I use a surgical clamp to start pins, and hold small parts during assembly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anyone telling you to use regular punches on a roll pin is a retard.

Roll pin starters:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61AArEcltOL._SL1500_.jpg

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/880x660/Primary/191/191653.jpg

View Quote
Maybe Im just a dumbass, but the starter punches never work well for me.

The holders do though.

These are what I got.

They have held up great. I also got the Gracie I think, starter punches, and the small ones peened over like nothing. Didnt think I was hitting it hard enough to do that, but it did. AND didnt damage the roll pin at all, just the punch. I havent sent the back to Gracie yet, but they will replace them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top