Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2020 9:34:23 PM EDT
I'm looking for some specific information on barrel recommendations and adjustable gas blocks that will work well with an M5 - not M5 E1 - ATLAS S kit to make it in to an accurate PRS 6.5. I bought most parts all Aero as it has been suggested to me that this is the way to start. I do have an AR15 build that I put together with an Odin Works barrel that is 'very' accurate. It uses the silver 'tunable gas block. Not really very familiar with the difference between tunable vs adjustable but I feel that being able to regulate the gas will enable me to lessen the impulse and make the rifle recoil easier. I am not set on Odin and welcome suggestions particularly from people who built using this exact same model as the handguard is on the small side so clearance can be an issue from what I've heard on other another PRS site where people aren't all that respectful and all I get is a lot of sarcasm. I'm not at all new to arms but this is my first large frame AR build and I'm hoping for some help from folks smarter than me. I really want to turn this in to a mail driver platform if that's possible and welcome suggestions. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm building off an M5 set currently and I bought a Criterion 18" barrel and an SLR Sentry adjustable gas block.  That seemed to be the consensus of the folks here

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/large-frame-ar/dpms-pattern-hybrid-6-5-creedmoor-ar-barrel-nitride/
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with an Odin Works 22" +2 gas system barrel on my M5 build. Fantastic quality and very accurate, as you probably already know. The only thing to note is the 15" Aero handguard does not cover the gas block with the longer gas system.

I used their adjustable gas block. The tunable is designed to be dialed in initially and left alone. The adjustable allows you want to make a change well in to the future or if you want to run suppressed sometimes and unsuppressed others.

Criterion, White Oak, and JP all make high quality barrels.   Likely can't go wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#3]
So they sell the 22 inch it seems only with the tube and tuneable block. Did you just buy an extra adjustable in addition? I really am leaning towards the folks at Odin Works. When I bought that barrel no one had heard of them. They are seriously very good and this is coming from someone who uses Kriegers and Bartleins on my bolt PRs. I do like the SL Sentry block. Time to make some calls tomorrow. Thanks! Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]
BTW I asked Odin about 308s today. On the calendar but 6 months or so they said.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're running the gun unsuppressed only I'm not sure I see the need for a tunable/adjustable gas block unless it's imperative to run on the ragged edge of reliability to minimize recoil.

I will say that because of the pressure curve of the Creedmoor cartridge that you should run as long a gas system as possible.

Best of luck with your build.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Good to know. Thanks. A few more questions if I may. I historically put very upright grips on my LPR rifles. Magpul has a lot of very similar grips and the ones that are upright are sold as being best for SBRs. There is no compare feature. Grip recommendations? Finally I don't think there are any stocks that compare to the PRS and in NJ adjustable is not allowed. Any thoughts on this?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top