User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 82
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the best bcg you can buy, preferably high pressure with dual ejectors?
View Quote

JP Full Mass Operating System Carrier Group with JP EnhancedBolt
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got an email from AR15.com about 30% off in stock Arken Optics scopes.  I decided to roll the dice for my Aero build on a SH4 4-16x Gen2 FFP MOA 34mm scope and their scope mount.  Total was $335.  I figure if the scope isn't that great I can put it on a .22 bolt gun I have.  These scopes seem to get okay reviews for what they are.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

While it doesn't have dual ejectors, the Rubber City Armory BCG in my 6.5CM AR has been phenomenal.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

While it doesn't have dual ejectors, the Rubber City Armory BCG in my 6.5CM AR has been phenomenal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks like a nice unit. I've never heard of them before but they do have a "lifetime warranty". Does anyone have experience with the JP bcg listed above? It looks different than most other bcg's. The priorities here are reliability and accuracy. I want to build something as close to a KAC as practically possible.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That looks like a nice unit. I've never heard of them before but they do have a "lifetime warranty". Does anyone have experience with the JP bcg listed above? It looks different than most other bcg's. The priorities here are reliability and accuracy. I want to build something as close to a KAC as practically possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought two of the Rubber City BCG’s.  I only have one in use currently and it has worked flawlessly.  They are machined very well and the finish is fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone order from Huckleberry arms first link above, GTG?
Doc Holliday memes not needed
View Quote
I ordered and had tracking info next day. $113 for a Toolcraft bcg was like $120 shipped
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#7]
This BCG says dpms lr308

?

are these gtg for a aero upper and lower?

https://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bcg-308-nickel-boron-with-9310-mpi-bolt.htm

debating one of these if it fits correctly
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This BCG says dpms lr308

?

View Quote

Yep, the M5 is DPMS pattern.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This BCG says dpms lr308

?

Thank you

This being my 1st big bore build I wanna do it right
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I ordered and had tracking info next day. $113 for a Toolcraft bcg was like $120 shipped
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone order from Huckleberry arms first link above, GTG?
Doc Holliday memes not needed
Got the bolt in today looks great, 3 days from Texas to Minnesota Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Got the bolt in today looks great, 3 days from Texas to Minnesota https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463612/20220506_162624_jpg-2374543.JPG
View Quote

@grizzlygunner999

sweet

i cant wait to get mine done and topped off

still havent ordered a bcg as of now

upper gets picked up tomorrow 40miles from my house in west va then i have to wait for what ever bcg and mags and optic in the coming week

this gun will be primarily for my coyote problem

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Is there a way to check headspace without a gauge using spent brass and caliper?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I got it headspaced at my gunsmith checked out just fine. Shot about 100 rounds of different box ammo ans the beat group 150gr federal fusion. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well I got it headspaced at my gunsmith checked out just fine. Shot about 100 rounds of different box ammo ans the beat group 150gr federal fusion. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463612/20220516_141409_jpg-2386306.JPG
View Quote

Looks like a nice shooter!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well I got it headspaced at my gunsmith checked out just fine. Shot about 100 rounds of different box ammo ans the beat group 150gr federal fusion. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463612/20220516_141409_jpg-2386306.JPG
View Quote

If it shoots Fusion that well consistently I wouldn’t even bother looking at other ammo
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#17]
7.62x51 was about 1.5 too. 168 grain fed gold match kings were 2 in at best
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If it shoots Fusion that well consistently I wouldn’t even bother looking at other ammo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG!

Tracking History
May 16, 2022, 3:44 pm

Available for Pickup
SLANESVILLE, WV 25444

Your item arrived at the SLANESVILLE, WV 25444 post office at 3:44 pm on May 16, 2022 and is ready for pickup.
May 16, 2022, 9:52 am
Arrived at Post Office
SLANESVILLE, WV 25444

May 15, 2022, 3:53 am
Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
HARRISBURG PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 14, 2022, 3:57 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
HARRISBURG PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 14, 2022, 12:28 am
Departed USPS Facility
HYATTSVILLE, MD 20785

May 13, 2022, 6:37 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
HYATTSVILLE, MD 20785

May 13, 2022
In Transit to Next Facility

May 12, 2022, 8:27 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
ATLANTA-PEACHTREE GA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 12, 2022, 3:21 pm

May 12, 2022, 1:42 pm
ATLANTA GA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 12, 2022, 9:03 am

May 12, 2022, 4:28 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
ATLANTA GA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 11, 2022, 10:45 pm
ATLANTA GA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 10, 2022, 9:01 pm
Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility
SHREVEPORT LA PACKAGE SORTING CENTER

May 10, 2022, 8:50 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
SHREVEPORT LA PACKAGE SORTING CENTER

May 9, 2022, 1:20 pm
USPS picked up item
NACOGDOCHES, TX 75964

My bolt carrier went on a adventure

2 days priority mail my ass . USPS is a joke

Now to find a heavier buffer and spring and some mags and ammo

anyone try a expo 5.3 oz buffer?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That Federal Fusion shot best out of mine too. Haven't tried any FGMM yet.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I use the SRC 308 Xtreme performance bolt in my M5 recent build. I've had this bolt for a few years - bought it back when it was on sale for ~ $180 I think. It has dual ejectors.

Other than an initial failure to extract due to a missing inner extractor spring that the bolt uses it has functioned beautifully. SRC sent me the spring and a set of extractor parts immediately after I contacted them.

Whatever BCG you go with buy it from a company that has great customer service as well as a quality product. You don't want to go cheap on the BCG.

https://www.srcarms.com/ar10-parts/308-AR10-xtreme-performance-bcg-dual-injectors-dlc

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Finally got it put together.  Scope is just finger tight on top.  I already found out I need to move it back a bit to get a good sight picture.  I also need to lube it before I take it out shooting.  I want to get a bipod but not sure what route to go.  I have a Harris on a Remington 700 that I like.  I also have a Magpul M-lok bipod on an AR-15 that I like.  I wish I would have bought the Magpul bipod that uses the sling stud and then just bought sling stud M-lok sections so I could swap the bipod around.

For M5 builds, do you guys check the headspace?  The barrel and BCG are both Ballistic Advantage but they were bought separately.  BA says they headspace their barrels.  I haven't tried to chamber a round yet.  I'm leaning toward not needing to check it but wanted opinions.  I could take it to a local gunshop and ask if they could check it.

ETA:  I forgot to add that this bad boy weighs 12.4 lbs without a magazine using a cheap bathroom scale.  It definitely is a heavy rifle.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168341/Aero_M5_complete_1_jpg-2390566.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168341/Aero_M5_complete_2_jpg-2390567.JPG

Finally got it put together.  Scope is just finger tight on top.  I already found out I need to move it back a bit to get a good sight picture.  I also need to lube it before I take it out shooting.  I want to get a bipod but not sure what route to go.  I have a Harris on a Remington 700 that I like.  I also have a Magpul M-lok bipod on an AR-15 that I like.  I wish I would have bought the Magpul bipod that uses the sling stud and then just bought sling stud M-lok sections so I could swap the bipod around.

For M5 builds, do you guys check the headspace?  The barrel and BCG are both Ballistic Advantage but they were bought separately.  BA says they headspace their barrels.  I haven't tried to chamber a round yet.  I'm leaning toward not needing to check it but wanted opinions.  I could take it to a local gunshop and ask if they could check it.

ETA:  I forgot to add that this bad boy weighs 12.4 lbs without a magazine using a cheap bathroom scale.  It definitely is a heavy rifle.
View Quote

Looks good! I’m going with a Harris and an mlok sling stud on mine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks great!

I went with the Magpul because it was light and the rifle is already porky.  Keep an eye out in the EE, you can get Magpul bipods for $70-$75.  

I check the headspace on every firearm I assemble.  I even have .22 headspace gauges because I have built/ put together multiple 10/22’s and changed bolts on Ruger MK pistols.   The gauges do get expensive when you have multiple calibers.  I bought 308 and 7.62 headspace gauges to make sure I was good on both.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m not advocating it, and I’m not saying my way is the right way, but the only gun I’ve ever come close to checking headspace on was a Savage bolt action I rebarreled and that was done with both a live round and a once-fired case.

Maybe I’m just lucky [shrug]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got the Magpul bipod that has the AD-170S flange (ARMS-17S), and then mounted that to an ADM 170S QD pic rail adapter.  I have short (5-slot) aluminum pic rail sections mounted at the bottom front of all of my handguards.  This way I can move the bipod around depending on which gun I'm shooting that day.  I did this for an FDE Magpul bipod, and a black one.  The ARMS 17S is a standard interface, several pic rail adapter manufacturers make a QD pic rail adapters for this standard.  Some are thumb screw instead of QD.

American Defense Mfg AD-170-base
Midwest Industries Universal-QD-Base-Short

ETA:  crappy pic:

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I got the Magpul bipod that has the AD-170S flange (ARMS-17S), and then mounted that to an ADM 170S QD pic rail adapter.  I have short (5-slot) aluminum pic rail sections mounted at the bottom front of all of my handguards.  This way I can move the bipod around depending on which gun I'm shooting that day.  I did this for an FDE Magpul bipod, and a black one.  The ARMS 17S is a standard interface, several pic rail adapter manufacturers make a QD pic rail adapters for this standard.  Some are thumb screw instead of QD.

American Defense Mfg AD-170-base
Midwest Industries Universal-QD-Base-Short

View Quote

I thought about going this route but didn't want the extra height of the extra adapter.

I might end up putting the Magpul M-lok bipod on this because I don't think I'll remove it too often.  Then, get another Magpul sling stud bipod and a few sling stud M-lok adapters for my other guns that I might want to use a bipod on occasionally but not have a dedicated one for each.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Lower and charging handle and 51t flash hider at my house along with toolcraft bcg

picked up the upper but forgot it At work so i'll grab it tomorrow before heading west

springco orange buffer spring and expo heavy carbine buffer and mags arrived here in virginia

gonna hit rural king tomorrow and see what .308 they have

but still need a scope and rings
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Lower and charging handle and 51t flash hider at my house along with toolcraft bcg

picked up the upper but forgot it At work so i'll grab it tomorrow before heading west

springco orange buffer spring and expo heavy carbine buffer and mags arrived here in virginia

View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/My-budget-spare-AR-scope-setup/18-772518/
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#30]
My Aero M5 right now. Waiting to get a bcg for it next. I’m planning on a Vortex PST 5-25x to top it off along with Harris bipods.

I am assuming they will take a normal AR15 trigger group? If so I plan on using a Timney Impact trigger.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My Aero M5 right now. Waiting to get a bcg for it next. I'm planning on a Vortex PST 5-25x to top it off along with Harris bipods.

I am assuming they will take a normal AR15 trigger group? If so I plan on using a Timney Impact trigger.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53155/62468796-E2D7-4B81-89A3-AF170A0927FB_jpe-2393669.JPG
View Quote
Yes some cassette type drop ins may not. I used a ALG ACT works good but could be better. I got a Toolcraft bcg for 113 at huckleberry arms.  See above
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes some cassette type drop ins may not. I used a ALG ACT works good but could be better. I got a Toolcraft bcg for 113 at huckleberry arms.  See above
View Quote

Hopefully the Timney plays well with it. Thanks for the heads up on the bcg!
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My Aero M5 right now. Waiting to get a bcg for it next. I’m planning on a Vortex PST 5-25x to top it off along with Harris bipods.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53155/62468796-E2D7-4B81-89A3-AF170A0927FB_jpe-2393669.JPG
View Quote

My Geissele SD-C works without issue
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@grizzlygunner999

I wish i could buy one but 2022 has been a cunt to me and this weekend is no exception

2 trips to the emergency vet ( 1 euthenize and one bad bite wound )

1 broken cetral ac unit that i still dont know how bad it will be at moms house. I hopped back in my truck and did the 45 miles back home to my place

Im beyond spent

gonna dig thru my boxes and see what buis i have for now and try to snag a box of 147grain at the gas station or ace harware store friday on the way home for testing
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I know what that's like shit never ends for me aswell.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I wish bcm would make a MCMR for the M5. The atlas is ok but the aluminum is thinner and feel like would break easily compared to my MCMRs
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wish bcm would make a MCMR for the M5. The atlas is ok but the aluminum is thinner and feel like would break easily compared to my MCMRs
View Quote

URX4 is the answer you seek

Link Posted: 5/29/2022 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes, can you recommend a good vendor that has them
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Looking to build my first AR10 and am thinking Areo M5 in FDE. I have not read all 75 pages of this thread by the last several.
Aero has the M5 lowers in stock but not the M5E uppers and during a net search I have not seen any builders kits which contain the E upper.

I realize the E version limits your options of rail but does it really aid in accuracy over the standard upper? Looking to build a fairly accurate rifle with the ability to a add a NV Clip-On device to it for some night fun.

Thanks

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Looking to build my first AR10 and am thinking Areo M5 in FDE. I have not read all 75 pages of this thread by the last several.
Aero has the M5 lowers in stock but not the M5E uppers and during a net search I have not seen any builders kits which contain the E upper.

I realize the E version limits your options of rail but does it really aid in accuracy over the standard upper? Looking to build a fairly accurate rifle with the ability to a add a NV Clip-On device to it for some night fun.

Thanks

View Quote

I had an enhanced upper for a few years and recently got rid of it for a standard upper and won't look back. I had no real technical issues so for what you're looking for it may be the ticket, I just didn't like the handguard.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Aero Precision upper, lower, lower parts kit and bcg
Vltor A5
Geissele SSA-E trigger
Vltor Emod
SLR rail and adjustable gas block
Rainer Arms 20” SS match barrel
BCM GFH
Larue mounts
Vortex PST 4-16 FFP
Harris bipod
AAC brake
AAC SDN6 (not pictured)
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#43]
M5 lowers: anybody else notice the little divot on the left-side safety-selector hole? left-side only.   supposedly to support the Battle Arms Development short-throw safety-selector.

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Adjustable aero precision gas block

There's one down the road from work were I got my lower

And I do plan to shoot suppressed

It's a must isn't it?

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
M5 lowers: anybody else notice the little divot on the left-side safety-selector hole? left-side only.   supposedly to support the Battle Arms Development short-throw safety-selector.

https://i.imgur.com/WEqUk2W.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/I3JUBjW.jpg
View Quote

It’s for the lawyer pin.  It was more popular years ago but not so much anymore.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It’s for the lawyer pin.  It was more popular years ago but not so much anymore.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/WEqUk2W.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/I3JUBjW.jpg

I looked on the BAD web page, I can't even find the short-throw safety-selector that requires this mod, probably discontinued.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I looked on the BAD web page, I can't even find the short-throw safety-selector that requires this mod, probably discontinued.
View Quote

Correct, their newer Pro safety no longer has the pin.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#48]
So I was drinking the other night and ran across the link to this thread. I have a bunch of parts on the way to put one of these together.  I have a gen 1 UBR, is it possible to use this, and if so; what buffer and spring combination do I need?
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So I was drinking the other night and ran across the link to this thread. I have a bunch of parts on the way to put one of these together.  I have a gen 1 UBR, is it possible to use this, and if so; what buffer and spring combination do I need?
View Quote

The UBR Gen1 uses a carbine length receiver extension (7" inside depth). The Gen2 uses the A5 length RE (7-3/4 inside depth). For the Gen1, you use a 308 carbine buffer which is 2-1/2" long. They range in weight from 3.8oz to 6.5oz, many prefer the mid 5oz buffers. Springs are 308 carbine specific for the 7" inside depth RE, but there are exceptions.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The UBR Gen1 uses a carbine length receiver extension (7" inside depth). The Gen2 uses the A5 length RE (7-3/4 inside depth). For the Gen1, you use a 308 carbine buffer which is 2-1/2" long. They range in weight from 3.8oz to 6.5oz, many prefer the mid 5oz buffers. Springs are 308 carbine specific for the 7" inside depth RE, but there are exceptions.
View Quote

I appreciate the info. Seems like there’s a big learning curve in what works and what doesn’t for these. I’m sure I’ll be back. Thanks again!
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top