Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that one of hyper touch's triggers?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just need the Go/No-Go Gauges. Trying to be patient! Ordered them as an in stock item last Monday.......https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472704/20171027_181432-345978.JPG
Is that one of hyper touch's triggers?
Yep its an Eclipse. I'm sold on Hiperfire triggers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yep its an Eclipse. I'm sold on Hiperfire triggers.
View Quote
Nice!  I've got my first hiperfire coming right now.

Well, I had an EDT, but I sold it.  This time I picked up a 24e for ~120.  Maybe I should buy a second.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
How many of you guys checked headspace before pulling the trigger the first time on your builds?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I did.
I kind of need all my parts attached and functioning so I didn't feel like risking a big boom.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I did.
I kind of need all my parts attached and functioning so I didn't feel like risking a big boom.
View Quote
I feel the same plus I was advised to elsewhere. I just had one guy recently say "just shoot it". Which got me to wondering how many others decided to risk it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 1:15:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Where there's no real "Mil-Spec" on these large frame guns I wasn't inclined to just trust that everything would fit perfectly.
Yeah, the gauges cost a few bucks for something I won't use very often, but compared to what I've spent on the gun overall it's really not very much to be safe.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Where’s a good spot to procure a set (.308 or 5.56)?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Headspace checked on a stripped bolt. Brownells has gauges and a tool that greatly helps stripping the bolt down vs a vice grip.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Got to shoot my M5E1 6.5 CM today at 611 yd, the thing shoots like a dream.  Out of 32 shots, only one miss and that was because I forgot to dial the 14.75 MOA back into the scope after resetting to zero.  After fine-tuning the dope, most of the hits were clustered around a ~6 inch circle.  I must say I am really digging the SWR Radius as well!
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How many of you guys checked headspace before pulling the trigger the first time on your builds?
View Quote
I'm very OCD, but I've built over a dozen AR platform rifles in various calibers, and used nothing but quality parts from known vendors. I've yet to check headspace on any of them, I'm sure some here will say I'll regret that some day. I believe it has everything to do with correct, and meticulous assembly. I do use a wet (painted) inert round to check for any chambering issues, for me this is verification that I've done my job. Headspace gauges are cheap, and plentiful, but IMO unnecessary if you do your part. I would not recommend this mentality for an M2 .50 cal, though. Arrrrrrmy training, Sir!
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I noticed a few of you use the Strike Industries ejection port cover.  Do they work well with the M5E1 upper?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I noticed a few of you use the Strike Industries ejection port cover.  Do they work well with the M5E1 upper?  Thanks.
View Quote
Mine required no fitting. It popped right in, locks in place nice and snug, and opens as it should. No Ragrets.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have the weight of a stock 22" 6.5cm aero complete rifle?
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 12:21:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I have wanted to build a 308 rifle for a while but until now I wasn't sure what direction to go until I saw the builder set from AP.

AP Builder set in a ghosted camo w/ 15" mlok tube
Upper:
AP black nitride bolt
Radian Raptor ambi charge handle
Faxon 18" match barrel
SLR adjustable gas block
Spikes black ss gas tube
Precision Armament M4-72 comp

Lower:
AP takedown pins + mag release
Geissele SSA trigger
Battle Arms Dev ambi safety
Forged bolt release
dpms carbine tube
dpms nut
BMC QD retainer plate but didn't fit the PRS, swapped for the dpms retainer plate from one of my AR-15's.
Heavy buffer
Orange spring
titanium buffer retainer
Magpul MOE+ grip
Magpul PRS gen3

Misc:
10 pack of Magpul 20rd pmags
Pelican case, rifle doesn't fit assembled, need a longer case...

TBD, still trying to make my mind up...
Vortex Viper HST 6-24X50 on some scope base
Vortex Venom 3moa on a 45deg mount
Bi-pod, harris?

Rifle as built is 5 lb 10 oz without mag or ammo.  Seems my scale is out of calibration...

Link Posted: 11/19/2017 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have wanted to build a 308 rifle for a while but until now I wasn't sure what direction to go until I saw the builder set from AP.

Upper:
AP black nitride bolt
Faxon 18" match barrel
SLR adjustable gas block
Spikes black ss gas tube

Lower:
Geissele SSA trigger
Forged bolt release
dpms carbine tube
dpms nut
BMC QD retainer plate but didn't fit the PRS, swapped for the dpms retainer plate from one of my AR-15's.
Heavy buffer
Orange spring
titanium buffer retainer
Magpul MOE+ grip
Magpul PRS gen3

Misc:

Bi-pod, harris?

Rifle as built is 5 lb 10 oz without mag or ammo.

https://i.imgur.com/nmlQ3xC.jpg
View Quote
Welcome! Looks good btw and that seems really light also.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Weird the weight isn't listed on their site. Somebody goofed.

Adding the weight of that upper to the weight of the complete M5 lower with the PRS stock I get 10 lbs 7 oz with the M-lock rail. Add 1 oz for Keymod, or add 5 oz for the quad rail.

Quoted:

Upper:
AP black nitride bolt
Faxon 18" match barrel
SLR adjustable gas block
Spikes black ss gas tube

Lower:
Geissele SSA trigger
Forged bolt release
dpms carbine tube
dpms nut
Heavy buffer
Orange spring
titanium buffer retainer
Magpul MOE+ grip
Magpul PRS gen3

Misc:

Bi-pod, harris?

Rifle as built is 5 lb 10 oz without mag or ammo.

https://i.imgur.com/nmlQ3xC.jpg
Looks good. I like that finish.

No way it weighs less than 6 lbs though. Mine is similar and weighs over 12 lbs with a 3-9x40 scope.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Well crap, I thought it seemed damn light too.
I just weighed it again and it came up 5lb 10oz on the scale so I tried a 5lb bar bell, 3lb 6oz... hmm tried an 8lb bar bell, 4lb 3oz... damnit this scale is jacked.

Anyone able to recommend a reliable food scale?
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 12/16/2017 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#19]

My original build, an Aero Precision M5 Upper/Lower set in FDE, Magpul PRS in FDE, and a 15" Troy Alpha in black, because it was on sale from Primary Arms. Optic is a US Optics ER25 5-25x MRAD atop a LaRue PSR 20moa mount. 18.5" match-grade Criterion barrel and BCG from Fulton Armory. Other goodies include a JP Silent Captured Spring, Geiselle SSA-E 2-stage trigger, and the Harris bipod attached to the bottom rail via a LaRue quick release Harris Bipod Adapter (LT130)

Not that I EVER expect this to be a lightweight rifle, but I decided to shave some weight and try out the Luth-AR stock that I had heard so much about. It's a nice stock, and as others have mentioned, you get a bit more adjustability and lighter weight, but sacrifice a bit of rigidity.

I had always intended to have the rifle itself be fully finished in FDE, but held off on getting the Troy rail done in Cerakote due to the fact that the rifle would be down for at least a few days to a week in the process, and the cost. It just wasn't a priority. Finally, I ran across the AeroPrecision 15" M5 Keymod rail in FDE from Schuyler Arms, and it was on a HUGE sale for their moving event... I couldn't pass it up. It ended up costing just a bit more than a cerakote job, and I ditched the LaRue harris mount for a PWS Keymod Harris mount. Again, sacrificing the convenience of quick-release, but shaving a bit more weight off the front end. Honestly, I hardly ever remove the bipod anyway.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Barrel / handguard length's? Spec's?
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Barrel / handguard length's? Spec's?
View Quote
16" Faxon Mid length gas
CMT UHPR 15.0 MOD1-HP Handguard
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Even though the price differential has pretty much made up my mind regarding what bcg my M5 build is going to get, I've got a question for the hive...

Anyone have any good info on whether or not the "Aero" NiB BCG is a toolcraft NiB BCG? Here's why I ask: the Aero is routinely listed near, at or well over 2 bills while the toolcraft can be had for $130-160 all day.

Toolcraft: (from WC and others)

Weight- 17.92oz
Bolt: 9310, Shot peened, MPI
Extractor: Shot peened hardened D2 Tool Steel
Carrier: 8620 Full Auto profile
Gas Key: Hardened 4140, CL w/Grade 8 hardware
Cam Pin: 8620
Firing Pin: 8740, Centerless Ground, Hard Chrome Coated

Aero: (from AP website)

Bolt: 9310 MPI
Carrier: 8620
Weight- 17.92oz

They both have the same rear carrier profile (unlike AP's other bcgs), they both have the EXACT weight specs, they both have the same "toolcraft" forward carrier profile, and both have the gas ports and serrations in the same location.  So, is it safe to call a spade a spade?
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#23]
reposting, after photobucket implosion.  UTG MTU026SSKB rail, showing pic rail alignment, the alignment tabs.  15" rail.  downside is no QD sockets.

Link Posted: 1/25/2018 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mine required no fitting. It popped right in, locks in place nice and snug, and opens as it should. No Ragrets.
View Quote
Internet searches say this does not fit Aero M5. Is that not the case?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Internet searches say this does not fit Aero M5. Is that not the case?
View Quote
if you're referring to the Strike Industries ejection port dust covers, they fit great on my Aero M5 uppers too, that's the only dust cover I use now on my M5 uppers.  just make sure you're getting the 308 version, not the AR-15 one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

if you're referring to the Strike Industries ejection port dust covers, they fit great on my Aero M5 uppers too, that's the only dust cover I use now on my M5 uppers.  just make sure you're getting the 308 version, not the AR-15 one.
View Quote
I’ve had to send too many things back on this build just want to cma. Looking to put it on aero 308 fde

Website says the following.....

Note:
for the AR-10 308

The SI UDC has been tested and fits on Mega Arms MATEN, DPMS Oracle, SIG 716, YHM, and SW perfectly. It is easily modified to fit other receivers with light sanding.

The 308 UDC-E is not guaranteed to fit all receivers nor be able to be modified to fit due to there being no standard for the AR10 platform
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I’ve had to send too many things back on this build just want to cma. Looking to put it on aero 308 fde

Website says the following.....

Note:
for the AR-10 308

The SI UDC has been tested and fits on Mega Arms MATEN, DPMS Oracle, SIG 716, YHM, and SW perfectly. It is easily modified to fit other receivers with light sanding.

The 308 UDC-E is not guaranteed to fit all receivers nor be able to be modified to fit due to there being no standard for the AR10 platform
View Quote
that's them covering their ass.  and here's me covering my ass: YMMV.

seriously, I also bought the FDE version for my Aero FDE M5 uppers.  the smooth one, not the one with slots n things in it (dust n dirt collectors).

first pic, I forgot to flip the L-shaped spring around.  2nd pic shows correct location.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#28]
While I'm at it is there a cool forward assist I don't know about to finish out my upper?? Does anyone make a FDE?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Well my "ugly" dazzle receivers arrived and i finally got around to finishing the build. Sorry for the crappy pics. Better ones to follow:

Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#30]
FDE M5E1 build. Loving it...amazingly smooth and accurate.

Untitled by hoevito, on Flickr

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:45:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
While I'm at it is there a cool forward assist I don't know about to finish out my upper?? Does anyone make a FDE?
View Quote
Strike Industries. While you're getting your dust cover you can grab one of theirs and save on shipping. I'm not sure if they have an FDE one or not, but I know they have some in different colors.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:35:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Strike Industries. While you're getting your dust cover you can grab one of theirs and save on shipping. I'm not sure if they have an FDE one or not, but I know they have some in different colors.
View Quote
Strike Industries doesn't make onw in FDE, they do Black, Chrome, and Gold tho.

The FDE rifle I posted just above actually has the Black SI forward assist installed along with the FDE dust cover FWIW...
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
@hoevito
Sweet looking rifle.
What caliber, barrel length/make?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Better pic although still low quality for some reason:

Aero precision dazzle M5E1:

Ballistic Advantage 18" Heavy profile barrel
Geissele SSA
VG6 Precision Gamma 762
ACE SOCOM Stock
Magpul MIAD Grip
BCM 7.62 CH
Aero Precision BCG
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@hoevito
Sweet looking rifle.
What caliber, barrel length/make?
View Quote
Thanks

Faxon Match series 18" heavy fluted 5R barrel w/ rifle gas in 308 to go along with a matching Faxon 308 bcg
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:11:36 AM EDT
[#36]
How do you like this combo? I was looking at the Faxon site yesterday with this combo (well, the 20" barrel)
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How do you like this combo? I was looking at the Faxon site yesterday with this combo (well, the 20" barrel)
View Quote
Rifle is amazingly smooth and accurate so far. The 18" barrel only weighs 36 ounces, so it's deceptively lightweight and handles very nicely. The rifle with sights and keymod rail panels only weighs 8lbs8oz unloaded. Not necessarily a featherweight but for an 18" heavy barreled 308 it's quite nice. The rifle ran 7.62x51 Malaysian surplus, cheap steel Tula 308, ZQI Nato M80 Nato spec, and several different Match grade loadings without issue. Ate 150 or so without issue once the gas block was dialed in. Got a half ass zero on the scope but didn't do any formal accuracy testing yet, but just humoring myself at 100 yards with some 168gr Gold medal match produce a really nice 5 round group, and an exceptionally nice 3 round group. The Faxon barrel is definitely capable of some really nice accuracy...

2018-02-06_10-24-13 by hoevito, on Flickr

20180208_141954 by hoevito, on Flickr

20180208_141958 by hoevito, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
Hey what barrel, handguard length is that? I'm weird and like the exposed gas block look.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hey what barrel, handguard length is that? I'm weird and like the exposed gas block look.
View Quote
18" barrel, 12" handguard
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Okay here goes. I've been reading this thread for a while now and finally ordered my first AR 10. I basically ordered everything to build the m5e1 .308 complete rifle (in black) with ss 18" barrel, MOE grip and PRS stock. I did order the complete upper but I am building the lower. It will be delivered tomorrow so I am super pumped!
2 questions for everyone.

The first 2 things that I will be adding is a drop in trigger and muzzle brake. Any suggestions? I am curious if a Stainless muzzle brake would look good with the ss barrel or to just stick with black. Next does anyone use the Elftman drop in? I have it in my 5.56 and love it. If not other suggestions. Also single or 2 stage recomendations?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I built mine for hunting and target shooting so I went 2-stage.
I splurged and went with a Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger I caught on a good sale. I love it. I have the SSA in another rifle and it would be fine too, though you could go SSA-E if you wanted a lighter trigger.

I considered Elftmann, Timney, and Larue before I bought what I did. They all come highly recommended though I don't have any personal experience with them. I had decided on a Timney Targa 2-stage until the Geissele went on sale. There's a very good chance I'll pick up a Larue MBT if/when I build another gun.

I'm sure others can chime in on single stage triggers, but there are tons of other threads about triggers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Thank you. I will also be using for target shooting and some hunting so I was leaning toward the 2 stage.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Well I ordered most the parts to build a 6.5 Creedmoor today from Aero . With their Presidents day sale I couldn't resist ordering . The feedback seems to be good on the Ballistic Advantage barrel in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well I ordered most the parts to build a 6.5 Creedmoor today from Aero . With their Presidents day sale I couldn't resist ordering . The feedback seems to be good on the Ballistic Advantage barrel in this thread.
View Quote
I just ordered their M5E1 build kit in the Arctic camo for a 6.5 build as well. Time to start researching barrels.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Rainier arms match barrel or ballistic advantage premium barrel? Not sure which one. I have Rainier barrels and like them but I guess that’s the best choice but is it worth the extra cost over BA?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Well guys I just pulled the trigger on a M5 stripped lower. I'm excited to build one, it will be my first 308 ar build. Looking through this thread, there is plenty of build motivation!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Faxon has match-grade barrels in 6.5 Creedmoor as well - Starting at $280.

http://faxonfirearms.com/barrels/ar-10-lr-308/new-category/
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Dazzle 308 works so my build was successful I guess. Although I had one misfeed in 100 rounds not sure why. Might be a gas issue didn’t have time to mess with settings. Will fiddle tomorrow hopefully.

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
I hope you opted for the Aero Nitrided BCG. The one with the smaller firing pin specifically for 6.5 creedmoor applications. Ask me how I know this.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I hope you opted for the Aero Nitrided BCG. The one with the smaller firing pin specifically for 6.5 creedmoor applications. Ask me how I know this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ordered them together crap I know its Nitrided not sure if its for a 6.5 ?
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top