Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2020 10:27:40 AM EDT
I'm a first time builder here and I've run into a snag. I'm building an Aero M5 (308). It looks like for normal ARs the rear takedown detent and spring go through the back of the receiver and the end plate is supposed to hold it in place, but with the M5 the detent channel actually goes down to the grip. Aero included a small set screw to keep from yeeting out my spring. Unfortunately I can't quite get the spring compressed enough to get the screw started.

Since the detent just retains the takedown pin is there any harm to trimming it a little bit? If that's really a bad idea are there any easier ways to get this set screw in?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Since the detent just retains the takedown pin is there any harm to trimming it a little bit? If that's really a bad idea are there any easier ways to get this set screw in?
View Quote

The spring is likely long enough to use without the screw so it may be necessary to shorten the spring by an amount equal to the length of the screw.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

The spring is likely long enough to use without the screw so it may be necessary to shorten the spring by an amount equal to the length of the screw.
View Quote

This.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top