Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2022 10:23:33 PM EDT
Are these still a thing?  Am trying to decide if they’re worth it, since AA’s in flux.

I have a kit—midi, I think, i bought it new, installed & never shot it, then removed it when i needed another upper.

Or, with AA’s “flux,” is it junk?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
GTG.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Did AA sell them with bolts & FPs?  I don’t want to mislead.  I usually used BCM BCG & Bolts, but this bolt isn’t MPI/HPT.

I bought it like 8-10 years ago.  It has a little CD/DVD.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you bought a completed upper or rifle, they typically don't come with a bolt or FP.  Carrier only if you buy the kits.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#4]
We do not sell the conversion kits with a bolt, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, or a cam pin. We do however sell a carrier completion kit on our website, which does come with these 4 items. Any questions on fitment or troubleshooting, please reach out to [email protected] or direct to me [email protected]

-Phil
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Phil.

I’ll post it in the EE.  I have no idea where I got the bolt.  I bought it around 2015, I think?  Whenever the piston conversion was reputed to be “better” and like I said—installed & never used.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
@AA_Phil

Do you have operating rod length specs?  The operating rod is ~9”. I’m 99.9% sure it was a carbine barrel, but i found an online source that says 7” for carbine, 9” for midi & 12” for rifle—I think someone extrapolated gas tubes to piston operating rods….

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I've built up AA kits on uppers for a few guys at work. Have never had a problem with them. I recently built up a 6.8 with an AA kit. It runs fantastic.  Zero problems.

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#8]
No interest—which is why I installed & never shot it.

It’s listed in the EE.  I shoot my 3 cans DI with a PRI Gas Buster.  The original plan was to use the kit for cans, but I never found I needed it with the PRI charging handles.

Thanks, though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@AA_Phil

Do you have operating rod length specs?  The operating rod is ~9”. I’m 99.9% sure it was a carbine barrel, but i found an online source that says 7” for carbine, 9” for midi & 12” for rifle—I think someone extrapolated gas tubes to piston operating rods….

Thank you.
View Quote

I have a verified carbine and rifle length op rod here, I'll measure so you can post for sure.

ETA: Carbine is about about 9 1/8", rifle is about 13 1/16"
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've built up AA kits on uppers for a few guys at work. Have never had a problem with them. I recently built up a 6.8 with an AA kit. It runs fantastic.  Zero problems.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89/20220105_103634-2229175.jpg
View Quote

Hey, that's a close example what I did with my 6.8 AA drop in kit project I did 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are these still a thing?  Am trying to decide if they’re worth it, since AA’s in flux.

I have a kit—midi, I think, i bought it new, installed & never shot it, then removed it when i needed another upper.

Or, with AA’s “flux,” is it junk?
View Quote
They’re great!
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top