Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 3:29:41 PM EDT
Age old discussion ACOG+ RMR Piggyback vs offset...

Anyone please chime in who has had experience with both, pros and cons, please and thank you.

I just can't make up my mind, I'm surely overthinking it. I currently have 2 ACOGs on my SCAR 16&17 and am planning to buy another TA31 M193 for a 16in SR-15. Looking at the factory Trijicon mounts RM35 or the 45 offset QD AC32078 for all 3 rifles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
NV: piggyback

No NV: 45 offset
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Get one that you intend to use for the AR and just test it on the SCAR to see if you run into the same problem I did.

I got an Arisaka offset mount for my SCAR, and when I mounted it up it felt...off. I attribute it to the height of the rail over your cheekweld and how the stock pivots in comparison to an AR. I had to keep re adjusting the stock on my shoulder when I pivoted to the offset optic. Since the axis is more inline on an AR, it feels more natural to me, and I don't have to readjust anything. YMMV. The Elcan on my SCAR now sports a piggyback mount, and the 45 degree offset mount is on one of my AR's with a LVPO.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Buddy has a piggyback setup and when you change over it's zeroed for tilting the rifle and using your opposite eye. Lightning fast and actually works, but YMMV...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I ran an RMR on top of an ACOG for years but as I got more serious about shooting it I grew to dislike that, too much difference in head position plus the huge offset between the RMR and the bore.  PLUS for some targets, say 25 to 50 yards, not liking making the decision on which sight to use.  Now I use the same ACOG but with an offset dot and like it.    Nearly identical head positions.  Use the RMR for single targets out to 25 to 35 yards, ACOG after that.  Also better for multiple targets close up and if I need to switch between the dot or magnification.  Being able to use nearly the same head position was perhaps the biggest improvement for me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Offset is better.  You can have the exact same zero and ballistics for both optics.  I have tried both.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]
The piggyback solution requires changing head position and is slower to transition.  The only advantage of piggybacking is that your rifle stacks slightly flatter in a soft case.

See my recent post here a bunch more reasons why a 45-degee offset is better
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Benefits-of-making-a-45-degree-offset-micro-RDS-your-primary-optic/18-760814/
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Nevermind, tittle says RMR on Acog
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buddy has a piggyback setup and when you change over it's zeroed for tilting the rifle and using your opposite eye. Lightning fast and actually works, but YMMV...
View Quote
I've done this before and it works well, its sort of similar to using the BAC.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Piggyback all day and twice on Sunday. I’d rather raise my head 1” than turn the whole rifle and deal with 45 degrees offset manipulations. YMMV.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top