Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2021 4:35:35 PM EDT
I was wondering which is the better option to mount on any AR.  I have never had the opportunity to see through either setup.   Just looking for input.

I already have the other option below mounted on 3 others.

Standard 2-10x scope
Trijicon MRO
and a 556 1-6 reticle.

I was looking to put an optic on my only bare AR besides BUIS.

Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The ACOG will have much better eye relief. Also has an etched reticle, so you don't have to worry about batteries. Which aimpoint were you thinking of using?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You want the RDS/mag if you mostly use the RDS but occasionally want magnification. You want the ACOG if you want a mid-range optic that’s still usable to further range or up close. You actually want a 31/RMR though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an ACOG 4x and for what it is, it is very cool.  However, I must admit that my go to is an Aimpoint / 3x mag set up that flips to the side.  Best of both worlds IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Ta33 Red Chevron and offset dot of your choice. Beats any magnifier setup I’ve owned

I would stay away from the 3.5x model you mentioned, as the weight just isn’t worth it imo. Admittedly, the ta11 is the best all around Acog if not taking weight into consideration
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Will also depend on your eyes. Some people dont see a crisp dot on the RDS well so look through some and not just as some gun counter. Take it outside. My eyes are getting old and I prefer the ACOG (the TA11 3.5X is my favorite).

The view through my ACOG is 10X better than Aimpoint and 3X. You are looking through a LOT of lenses on the RDS/3X combo and the image will not be as clear, especially in less light.

But as stated above, if you are shooting mostly 50 yards and in, I'd get a good RDS and use the 3X for the rare long shots. If most of your shots are past 50, especially past 100, ACOG all the way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on your intended use.

If you shoot a lot inside 50 yards then RDS/magnifier.

If you shoot mostly 50+ yards then ACOG.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:17:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks i tthink I will take a look at an Acog TA33.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Does the aimpoints dot clear up when under magnification?

I thought the eotech cleared up tremendously under 3x magnification
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the aimpoints dot clear up when under magnification?

I thought the eotech cleared up tremendously under 3x magnification
View Quote

For my eyes, EOtech dots always looked 10X better through a 3X. Maybe because the EO's 1moa center dot, maybe just how they are made. Aimpoint dots turn to shit under a 3X and look like comas and are constantly changing shape as I look at them. I probably have some brain damage...

Personally, if I was going the RDS plus 3Xmag route, I'd seriously consider an EOtech. No 3X and blasting up close...Aimpoint. Shooting past 50...ACOG.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks i tthink I will take a look at an Acog TA33.
View Quote

The TA33 is the perfect balance. I wish they would carry it over to the LED ACOG line.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For my eyes, EOtech dots always looked 10X better through a 3X. Maybe because the EO's 1moa center dot, maybe just how they are made. Aimpoint dots turn to shit under a 3X and look like comas and are constantly changing shape as I look at them. I probably have some brain damage...
View Quote

That's not just you, my man. Pretty sure everyone sees the same lol. I know I do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's not just you, my man. Pretty sure everyone sees the same lol. I know I do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must have the brain damage, not that it would be surprising, because my Aimpoints go from shit to sharp with the 3x mag.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top