Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2021 11:57:43 AM EDT
I've used Remington 40-X Bore Cleaner to deep clean my barrels (when needed/every few range trips) with good results which I recently shared with a friend. He mentioned/warned that similar cleaners wear out barrels which doesn't sound right to me...i wouldn't think that several passes with an "abrasive" soaked bore cleaner patch wrapped around a nylon brush would cause even close to the "wear" of just one bullet passing down a chrome lined or nitrided barrel?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Such a determination would probably need to be ascertained in a laboratory environment.  

Otherwise.... pretty much all lore and bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I wanted a custom barrel on my Remington 700.  I always use JB Bore Past in it, hoping to speed up the process of wearing it out. (actually to remove the copper)

It didn't wear out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I use KG bore polish on a bore mop to clean up stubborn fouling. A few strokes usually takes anything out. No issues with barrel wear.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I think some folks forget what happens to this family of firearms in the real world. The standard US Army methodology is to scrub the bore with a bronze brush. While bronze is certainly softer than the chrome lined bore, I can think of times when we sat there and cleaned our rifles for half a day. I swear we'd run bore brushes down the tube for hours. I'm not even kidding that we did this all the time. Weekly some times. I am positive I put better than 8k rounds through my issues M4 and probably ran a bore brush through it 2k times. My last rifle qualification in that unit was just like the rest... qualified expert, tapping that 300m target every time.

I guess the moral of the story is, these beasts are a damn sight more tolerant and resilient than people give them credit for. Clean it well and avoid jamming screw drivers and rocks in there. Otherwise, anything designed for cleaning the bore is likely perfectly acceptable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all, that's what I thought... didn't make sense that the resulting "wear" from cleaning with a lightly abrasive solution could come close to firing even one round.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to mention running a few TUBB lapping rounds down the bore...
What concerns me is getting any abrasives into the gas system, where it can get back into the bolt.

Would do a good flush of the gas tube before shooting after using the abrasive bore cleaner,
and if shooting the TUBB rounds, turning the gas system off (which is possible with my Spike cam adjustable gas block), and hand cycling the action.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:07:46 AM EDT
[#7]
You can certainly wear a barrel out cleaning it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been using Flitz, Iosso, or JB over the past 5 years or so. I always put a dab on a bronze brush and just go back and forth a few times. Bore comes out clean as anything. This is over a stainless steel and chrome bore.

I use a bore scope and throat erosion gauge and see nothing wrong in either case except a really clean bore.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks all, that's what I thought... didn't make sense that the resulting "wear" from cleaning with a lightly abrasive solution could come close to firing even one round.
View Quote

None of the gun cleaners are abrasive. They might have some measure of abrasion but nothing that would harm the bore.

I would imagine after so long that Iosso or Flitz would have long ago been sued and clients would have won against them. They would have warnings on their products that you shouldn't be using it at all.

I would also say if you're worried about it use something else like Wipeout.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I would be more concerned about damaging the bore by using too harsh of a bore solvent and leaving it in the bore too long. If it contains ammonia, make sure you follow the directions on the bottle concerning how long to let the stuff soak in the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You thinking crown damage?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can certainly wear a barrel out cleaning it.

You thinking crown damage?

The rod dragging on the throat is the worst.

Dedicated individuals with stainless brushes (and bronze) can actually fret the bore like a phonograph record from really scrubbing it.

Crown damage is a consideration, but most people really into over cleaning know about so they’re careful there. The barrels I’ve seen worn out from cleaning have mainly been the rod dragging on the throat and wiping it out from about 5-7 o’clock.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I use both JB cleaner and polish on some of my rifles and rifled slug guns.

Not every cleaning session,  but here and there, it has its place.  On less than perfect, factory new barrels, (in my case some rifled slug guns....not always the highest quality) it helps remove any tooling marks in the bore.   Not an issue with premium stuff tho.

Don’t show that stuff to your BR buddies,  they will probably throw garlic at you and try pound a stake in your chest.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Oops...dp
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would also say if you're worried about it use something else like Wipeout.
View Quote

I Use nothing other than Wipe out on my EXPENSIVE F class target barrel in .223. Wet patch it till clean, then wet patch it again and leave sit for 1 hour. My gunsmith (Hall of fame shooter) Thomas "Speedy" Gonzales" did some chamber work for me and could not believe my barrel had 1000 rounds on it. He said it looked new. 3" groups at 600 yds.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#16]
To prevent damage to the throat, always use a bore guide and a 1-piece rod (stainless or plastic-sheathed - which is a religious debate).  I like Sinclair bore guides and BoreTech Bore Stix.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Have your friend look at the lenses on scopes, binoculars, etc.  These were created with abrasives, so abrasive is not a bad word.

Ironed-on carbon deposits (ahead of the throat) just can not be removed any other way.   I have tried the "carbon removers" over night and nothing came out the next day - on a clean patch.  Iosso takes care of matters in a few minutes, and my bore scopes reveal this clearly.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#18]
over use will damage the rifling. you can polish the corners away.

look into Gale McMillian and what he has seen with overuse of such product.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I use 40X on barrels that Hoppe's can't get the carbon out of instead of a bronze brush. I also use it to quickly clean a new barrel. It works great in both applications.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Custom benchrest/match barrel maker Dan Lilja on the subject:

https://riflebarrels.com/support/centerfire-maintenance/
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top