Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2019 3:45:21 PM EDT
I'm on the hunt for a lower but none of the shops close to me have any in stock right now.  They all said that there was rush before Christmas.

I ran across a shop advertising ATI lowers but I can't find out much about them.

Thoughts on them.  If you want to respond, "They suck" please explain why they suck.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
for the same price you can get a USA made regular lower and be proud that it was made in the USA by skilled craftsmen that are the grandsons and great grandsons/daughters of the men that built this country.

where do you live in PA that you cant find lowers in stock?

You know if you go into any shop, you can ask them to get you a lower and as long as you buy directly from the shop, they will not charge you a transfer fee.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are ATI made?

I'm in the south hills of Pittsburgh.  There are four shops that are reasonably close.  Oddly, none have said, "We can order one for you"  I just get "check back in a week."
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are ATI made?

I'm in the south hills of Pittsburgh.  There are four shops that are reasonably close.  Oddly, none have said, "We can order one for you"  I just get "check back in a week."
View Quote
I dont know, but American Tactical Importers say on the website that they import gun parts.

There are several shops I deal with that will get you anything you want.
JMC Defense LLC

.. He will  order anything you want.

Or

Allegheny Gun Works  Same deal...

What shops do you normally use?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The ATI Omni hybrid is polymer but has a steel insert at the rear receiver extension and take down area. I think it's plenty strong and probably just as durable as aluminum. I have one that I used for awhile. Worked and looked nice.
I would personally prefer aluminum but the ATI receiver is fine also.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#5]
ATI also makes mil spec aluminum lowers in South Carolina.  Got mine for $50 plus tax at my dealer.  No issues.  Fit and finish were nice.  Matches my PSA Pistol kit perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to have one of the older ones (2012 manufacture IIRC), it was made in PA by Xtreme Machining or something like that.

The fit was good, but the finish was poor.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not just order a PSA or something for $40 and have it transferred. Local shop will prob charge $70 out so anyway.

I have seen too many failures with the poly ATI to recommend. The forged is probably fine as long as it is in spec
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:35:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:Allegheny Gun Works  Same deal...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I've been there.  Wasn't too impressed by their level of salesman interest.  Poor greeting.  No "Did you want to look at something?"  or "Did you want me to get this out for you?"  When I asked about a particular lower, no offer to order one for me or even an offer of an alternative.

I used to be a big fan of Bravermans but I believe that Buddy retired and the new owner couldn't keep the doors open.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been there.  Wasn't too impressed by their level of salesman interest.  Poor greeting.  No "Did you want to look at something?"  or "Did you want me to get this out for you?"  When I asked about a particular lower, no offer to order one for me or even an offer of an alternative.

I used to be a big fan of Bravermans but I believe that Buddy retired and the new owner couldn't keep the doors open.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

okay so you had a bad experience  with Josh at Allegheny?  Or did you talk to somebody else?  You should probably say something he's a member here and a really good dude.

What about JMC defense? the owner's name is Jordan ...

if you were shopping at bravermans that suggests to me that you probably live closer to Pittsburgh or more over towards the West Mifflin/Mckeesport area.

If that's the case I really can't help you with shops I can however suggest that you order a lower from anywhere you want on the internet and then have it transferred to a federal firearms license dealer and there's one located in McDonald that only charges $20 ...the name of the company is called Hot Metal transfers .....the owner is very flexible about scheduling time for you to pick up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

okay so you had a bad experience  with Josh at Allegheny?  Or did you talk to somebody else?  You should probably say something he's a member here and a really good dude.

What about JMC defense? the owner's name is Jordan ...

if you were shopping at bravermans that suggests to me that you probably live closer to Pittsburgh or more over towards the West Mifflin/Mckeesport area.

If that's the case I really can't help you with shops I can however suggest that you order a lower from anywhere you want on the internet and then have it transferred to a federal firearms license dealer and there's one located in McDonald that only charges $20 ...the name of the company is called Hot Metal transfers .....the owner is very flexible about scheduling time for you to pick up.
View Quote
I second using Hot Metal Transfers. They are my go-to and I have always had great experiences dealing with them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted: okay so you had a bad experience  with Josh at Allegheny?  Or did you talk to somebody else?  You should probably say something he's a member here and a really good dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted: okay so you had a bad experience  with Josh at Allegheny?  Or did you talk to somebody else?  You should probably say something he's a member here and a really good dude.
I don't know the name of the person there but it isn't my job to teach salesmen to sell.  Well, sometimes it is my job to teach salesmen to sell but only when I get paid for doing that.

Nope.  I went there because it was a good shop.  Go there then stop at the Dirty O for a hot dog on the way back.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:Why not just order a PSA or something for $40 and have it transferred. Local shop will prob charge $70 out so anyway.
View Quote
I may wind up doing that anyway.  I prefer to support small business, if they don't charge me double what I could pay elsewhere.  However, if no one has them, I may have to go online.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I Have an ATI Milsport lower. It came pre built. It works fine, no outstanding problems. Unfortunately they pinned the buffer tube so I can switch it out, but that has nothing to do with function. If it's built to spec, a lower is a lower, and the ATI Milsport lower is just that. A lower.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ATI also makes mil spec aluminum lowers in South Carolina.  Got mine for $50 plus tax at my dealer.  No issues.  Fit and finish were nice.  Matches my PSA Pistol kit perfectly.
View Quote
That was my experience too. Aero has a little nicer finish, tho.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:43:53 AM EDT
[#15]
OP, are you referring to the ATI Omni Hybrid lower or another ATI lower?
I've used the ATI Omni Hybrid (the buffer tube threads and the rear takedown pin holes are overmolded metal, the rest is polymer) without any issues in a 9mm AR
The grip thread is polymer so don't go crazy torqueing the grip screw.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top