Can it take 300BLK?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Double tap
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]
So I finally got a chance to shoot it. had loaded/unloaded about 5 times and left it loaded on the 5th time back on 1/17/20.
Loaded it up and started shooting... first 40 rds seemed good.. fired double taps..
then around the 40th rd, I got a malfunction. a failure to feed. did a tap rack and cleared it.. shot it again  emptied the mag.

I'm thinking it's not a super big fan of steel case due to the CoF of Lacquered steel vs. brass.

Next time I'll load up brass and see how it does..
For $40, not shabby.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I noticed that Primary Arms' listing for this mag now describes it as a Gen 2 verion:

ATI Schmeisser Gen 2 60 Round Magazine - Quad Stack 5.56 NATO

The description says "The Gen 2 model features a steel reinforced back lip to prevent cracking."

The ATI website adds the following information:

Gen 2 - Now Available!

New for 2020 - The Schmeisser S60 .223/5.56 60 Round AR-15 Magazine!

American Tactical has partnered with German arms manufacturer Schmeisser GmbH to exclusively import and distribute the Schemisser S60 60 round AR-15 magazine.  Made from glass reinforced polymer, this patent pending magazine features a unique follower system that allows for double capacity from a normal AR magazine without being bulky or cumbersome.  Designed to shoot both .223 REM & 5.56X45MM, the Schmeisser S60 will give you an instant capacity upgrade over the standard AR mag at an affordable price for your AR Carbine or Pistol.

Now featuring a last round bolt hold open integrated in the follower!
View Quote

Getting rid of that sliding metal tab on the back of the magazine will be a great improvement. I'll have to pick one up and compare the two versions. If it turns out to be a good upgrade, I'll be glad that I didn't buy more than one of the Gen 1s.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Ran a few mags worth through a full auto/suppressed SBR that belongs to a fellow member right before all this craziness started.  

Feed all 120 rds perfectly fine, but failed to lock the bolt back.  This was with brass cased federal 55gr. FMJs

ARFCOM MG Meet up # 2 @ Double Tap Range
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two magazines that I got from AIM Surplus.  I only have 180 rounds through them but this is my experience.

First outing, I loaded one with FN SS109.  All rounds fed and fired perfectly, however, the bolt did not lock on empty.  The second one was loaded with some polymer-coated steel case Wolf ammo (not sure if it was MC or WPA, it was 55 grain though).  Constant feed problems, the rounds would not push up the stack.  The last third or so of the magazine fed and fired fine, and the bolt did lock on empty.

Usually if poly-steel gives me problems, lacquered steel will work better (my experience with Magpul Glock magazines).  Weeks ago I headed to Academy since their Monarch brand comes in a lacquered variant, but this was the start of panic buying of ammo and toilet paper, and I was only able to get 40 rounds.  I loaded the 40 rounds of lacquered Monarch and topped it off with poly-steel Wolf.  This combination fed and fired perfectly and the bolt did lock on empty.  Unfortunately I did not label my magazines so I can't say if this is the magazine that previously locked on empty.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Is the gen2 working better with 300 Blackout?  And with what bullet weights?  I tried loading 50 rounds with a lula and then hand cycle the rounds out.  Bootle neck down the stack at the quad portion.  Turned upside down and loose rounds fell out.  That was Aguila 150 gr. FMJs that have a shorter OAL length than Federal .223 62 gr. FMJs.  Those worked fine. Yes, I know that actually shooting it will be the tell tale.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone try using a mag lula to load them or does it not work with them ???
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:23:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Maglula will work, but last 10 rounds are tough to get in.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#11]
It works well for me including in full auto. I do have a concern about leaving them loaded, all that pressure on polymer lips. I could be wrong but I do worry about taht.

tsh77769
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I need a machinegun...
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I need a machinegun...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I need a machinegun...

We all need machine guns.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I bought 2 at a local pawn shop before reading this. I fired one with steel ammo last night... Not good. Has anybody tried lubricating the inside? I've got some pb blaster "dry lube", Teflon I think.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:58:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That might help.
New plastics can benefit from a little "polishing" even more so then metals ... sometimes.

So try some car wax in the interior... NuFinish seems to help with my "sticky / squeaky" clean plastic issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I bought 2 at a local pawn shop before reading this. I fired one with steel ammo last night... Not good. Has anybody tried lubricating the inside? I've got some pb blaster "dry lube", Teflon I think.

That might help.
New plastics can benefit from a little "polishing" even more so then metals ... sometimes.

So try some car wax in the interior... NuFinish seems to help with my "sticky / squeaky" clean plastic issues.

I took one apart, hosed down all internals and inside of mag with pb blaster PTFE dry lube and now I can easily load 60 rounds of steel case by hand and I did 2 mag dumps without issue.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:02:08 AM EDT
[#18]
In for reviews,
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#19]
In stock at Grab-a-gun, just got an email.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In stock at Grab-a-gun, just got an email.
View Quote

Proven Arms & Outfitters has had them in stock every time I’ve looked for the last few months. $46.99 each, or $42.99 if you buy 3+. $10 flat rate shipping.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I took one apart, hosed down all internals and inside of mag with pb blaster PTFE dry lube and now I can easily load 60 rounds of steel case by hand and I did 2 mag dumps without issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might help.

I'll have to try this in the future.  Just spray and let it dry?
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Proven Arms & Outfitters has had them in stock every time I've looked for the last few months. $46.99 each, or $42.99 if you buy 3+. $10 flat rate shipping.
View Quote
I need to hurry up and order 10.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#23]
they seem to have these on psa on the daily emails as well and was wondering the same-not cheap so didn't want to order until heard some positive feedback
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I just bought two of them. No metal strip on the back, and no warning against 300BO on the packages.

Must be Gen 2.

They do have "5.56 x 45" embossed near the top of the mags on the long sides.

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:15:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I picked up a gen 2, loaded it up tonight. Was a bit stiff but I was able to get all 60rds in without using any loading devices. I plan on testing it out tomorrow at a local 3 gun match. I plan on using it on every stage to get as much testing on it as possible.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I ram the mag for 4 of the 5 stages yesterday and the round counts were pretty low per stage bit it ran flawlessly for me.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#27]
What ammo?
Brass or steel?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What ammo?
Brass or steel?
View Quote

It was all brass case ammo. I don't own any steel ammo.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Didnt have time to read the entire thread so I ask,

How do they compare to

#1 Surefire Quad- (which I've heard are normally hit and miss, as I've heard if it runs the first time that it's considered it's a "good one", if not, then it's a bad one)
Then again, maybe even a good first time use one can crap out at any time, still unsure of the "Hit & Miss" theory on those mags so I avoid them.

#2 Magpul D60- (seem to have great good reviews and likely the most reliable, just pretty damn pricey so don't own one)

Just wondering if the better priced "ATI Schmeisser 60rd Quads" are anything worth investing in for SD/SHTF, or if spotty quality...

**Side note about Quadstack history** which is NOT necessary to read to answer the above questions.
The Quadstack design has ALWAYS been "Iffy" it seems, from the Russians only making Protos in 545 and even US Palm never going past proto stage in 762, which I assumed was due to the tapered casing but the bad surefires show the internals may have a binding issue either at times, or depending the mag from a day 1 test.)....likely why Magpul strayed from the design altogether, seems "AC Unity" uses it for AK and claims they are Mil issue (not true) but I've heard the polymer is their biggest issue, such as loaded mags self destructing/bursting open at the seams.

The German name of the Schmeisser makes me wonder if the ATI's are anything special/different, or just another novelty mag, similar to Surefire (which depending the buyer/particular mag, are said to be either great, OR trash)
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:50:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:37:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
for anyone looking for some in stock...

Click here. In stock at TriggerDepot as of 1/25/2021
View Quote

If that is your store, looks like my bump of the post helped u sell out. Lol

I'm wondering what the differences are on the Gen 2?

I know on the original before the Gen 2 came out, it had *3 main issues* being:

1. If the rounds were too long (depending 223 vs 556 or the manufacturer, the noses would bind up at the front of the mag (clearence issue), so wondering if they made the inside front area have a tad more clearence by opening it up a tad?

2. Seems many had issues getting anything in past the 17-18rd mark, which I've heard is the point where the rounds branch off into the 2 seperate chambers.

3. 90% of the bad reviews are, OR WERE, about steel cases not working good in them and making the mag useless (likely due to more friction than brass) yet most brass users said they worked great, IF they could get past the 17-18rd mark when loading, not sure if that was a Gen 1 issue or with them all depending the spring or ammo type and the length of the projectile as the chambers were likely where it got the tightest.

Any ideas what the addressed with the Gen 2???
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm wondering what the differences are on the Gen 2?
View Quote

I’d recommend reading through this thread, because it will probably answer some of your questions. I posted about the Gen 2 mags above on this same page.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:00:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Virtually impossible to load beyond 45 rounds and I experienced numerous stoppages. Returned to retailer for refund.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Well Ima fucking idiot, hoarder or pasty.
I have 4 coming from 2 different outfits.
And It's al yalls fault.

Just because waggon jack Joe doesn't potatoe about them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:03:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Yeah I just got mine from this sale the other day. Looking forward to trying it out. I think "coffin" mags are a really neat idea. It would be cool if there was a 50 round version offered that was shorter. That would be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Interesting to see that a window version of this magazine appears to be available now:

ATI SCHMEISSER 5.56/.223 AR15 60 ROUND MAGAZINE WITH WINDOW G2 MLE

Prepper Gun Shop has it for $54.99 (I haven't checked for other vendors yet).
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

We all need machine guns.
View Quote

i wish i could give this a 100 likes ....Murica!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 4:04:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Has anyone got any of the Schmeisser 60rnd ak mags yet ? I figured I have had good luck with the AR15 ones that I would get a few for the AK I just haven't seen them here yet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Concensus is no need to download these to anything less than 60?  Yes?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I used one of mine 3 times a couple weeks ago.  I was using a friends rifle with an FTR. Ammo was PMC 55 grain .223.  All 180 rounds fed and fired perfectly.  However, I could not seat the mag on a closed bolt.

I used an uplula to load them.  Given the amount of effort it requires after the first 20 or so rounds, I doubt downloading them by a few rounds is going to help with seating them on a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Does anyone have any suggestions on a pouch for these?
Do these fit in pouches made for the Surefire Quad Mags?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:54:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any suggestions on a pouch for these?
Do these fit in pouches made for the Surefire Quad Mags?
View Quote

ObsoleteMan posted an option a few posts above yours.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top