Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2020 2:04:30 PM EDT
I receive sales emails from AT3 and generally ignore them but I was looking at their "Spear" handguards and their billet-style upper receivers (no FA just a dust cover) and was wondering if anyone's bought from them.

The handguards look decent enough for the price esp. the sale price.

They're also made in the USA.

Obviously they're not Fortis/BCM/Geissele but since STNGR raised their prices out of sight I was looking for another "best bang for the buck" budget handguard maker. And they look suspiciously like they're actually made by STNGR.

So...Fo? or Hell, no?

https://www.at3tactical.com/products/at3-spear-m-lok-ar-15-free-float-handguard-12-15-lengths
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Take one for the team and fo for it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I just might do that. ETA: I did!
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I just might do that.
View Quote
They look fine to me. I've got BCM MCMR's, Noveseke NSR and SLR's at the moment. But I honestly can't say they are any better then that 6061 tube clamped to a barrel nut, even their anti rotation tabs on that billet upper look pretty clean.

Out of what I have... I really like the SLR wedge clamps the best, but who knows if it's superior.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I just might do that.
View Quote
Be aware that their billet upper that is part of the set doesn't fit in the cheap common clam shell vise blocks. Another means of securing the upper while you torque the barrel nut down needs to figured into the cost, unless you already have something else (reaction rod, some other kind of receiver clamp, etc...)
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Be aware that their billet upper that is part of the set doesn't fit in the cheap common clam shell vise blocks. Another means of securing the upper while you torque the barrel nut down needs to figured into the cost, unless you already have something else (reaction rod, some other kind of receiver clamp, etc...)
View Quote
I have a BEV block but also have access to a reaction rod if needed.

I was on their website and while I see assembled uppers using the "billet" receiver for sale I don't see them available as a stand-alone item. Maybe I missed them. Not a huge deal as I have an Anderson "sporter" slick-side in my parts box.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was on their website and while I see assembled uppers using the "billet" receiver for sale I don't see them available as a stand-alone item.
View Quote
https://www.at3tactical.com/products/at3-tactical-ar-15-stripped-billet-upper-receiver

I just ordered the receiver/handguard combo last night in ODG, so I'll be able to provide my own assessment. I plan to get one of the PlastiXrevolution upper vise blocks for it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered a 11.5 complete upper last year that's been solid, no complaints here.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Got the Spear slick side upper receiver and 15 inch mlok to fill out a budget build I was completing.  Haven't fired it yet but the upper and handguard flow together seamlessly as it should.  Four total bolts 2 on side and 2 bottom give a pretty solid lockup.  Barrel nut requires no timing which is a plus.  Got both in black but the finish between the upper and h/g are not the same finish of black (at least not on mine).  The rec. has a somewhat purplish hue which is different I suppose.  Mated the upper with a PSA lower rec.  build.  Fit was somewhat loose compared to using Aero upper and lower components exclusively.  Love me some AP.  Damn but the Spear hg is very lightweight.  All told everything seems decent enough in quality plus AT3 stands behind their stuff imho.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Btw I also have and used the bev block.  Worked great for that particular build.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I got my ODG AT3 upper and handguard yesterday as well as my Faxon Gunner 16" barrel. My AeroShell hadn't arrived yet though. The upper is too tight to mount my barrel without lubrication; I'm hoping the lube will be all it needs and that I won't have to remove any Cerakoting. The barrel nut fits fine, as I would expect. The pieces feel and look great.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I did just now. Squeaked in they had 5 left in the size/color I wanted (they had 7 when I put it in my cart)
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got my ODG AT3 upper and handguard yesterday as well as my Faxon Gunner 16" barrel. My AeroShell hadn't arrived yet though. The upper is too tight to mount my barrel without lubrication; I'm hoping the lube will be all it needs and that I won't have to remove any Cerakoting. The barrel nut fits fine, as I would expect. The pieces feel and look great.
View Quote
No luck with the AeroShell. The barrel still won't seat. I'll have to thin the Cerakote I guess.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm curious to learn of the long term ability of the barrel nut locking screws on the underside of the clamp. I was also looking at these handguards before I ultimately got unbranded ar ones. The tightening screw on the unbranded ar handguards is larger and screws into a wedge that interacts with the barrel nut trench which seemed more robust to me as opposed to two small perpendicular screws on the at3s.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess I'll find out when the handguard comes in and it's installed.

The attachment method is very similar to that of STNGR handguards and I have had zero issues with them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No luck with the AeroShell. The barrel still won't seat. I'll have to thin the Cerakote I guess.
View Quote
Try to heat the receiver first. Maybe even cool the barrel while you're at it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Tried both. It may have helped a little bit, but the going was tough. I did finally get it jammed in there after a LOT of force, but if I ever have to replace a barrel, I fear I'm not going to be able to get it out. No biggie I guess: new upper receivers aren't too terribly expensive.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't overlook Larue LAT's
And you can never go wrong with MidWest stuff
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:56:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tried both. It may have helped a little bit, but the going was tough. I did finally get it jammed in there after a LOT of force, but if I ever have to replace a barrel, I fear I'm not going to be able to get it out. No biggie I guess: new upper receivers aren't too terribly expensive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too tight is a good problem to have. Some people actually bed their barrels to get that kind of fit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#21]
The 9" Spear handguard arrived today.

All in all, not bad for $76 and there was no tax or shipping fees.

It's actually 9.25" but that's not a problem. Finish is very good and with the exception of one tiny 'burr' on the inside of one of the anti-rotation tabs there are no sharp edges.

For a "better than budget budget pistol build" this should do very nicely.

Comes with a barrel nut wrench, complete instructions, and a sticker.

I did not purchase one of their billet upper receivers but I might consider it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The 9" Spear handguard arrived today.

All in all, not bad for $76 and there was no tax or shipping fees.

It's actually 9.25" but that's not a problem. Finish is very good and with the exception of one tiny 'burr' on the inside of one of the anti-rotation tabs there are no sharp edges.

For a "better than budget budget pistol build" this should do very nicely.

Comes with a barrel nut wrench, complete instructions, and a sticker.

I did not purchase one of their billet upper receivers but I might consider it.
View Quote
If you don't mind checking, do you happen you know what size barrel nut wrench they included? I'm curious as someone asked me what size wrench my unbrandedar barrel nut used, but I have no idea as it came with no tools or instructions (not something that I have a problem with) so I simply used an adjustable wrench. The spear's barrel nut, along with stngr's barrel nut all appear to be the same as my unbrandedar one and stngr lists their's as 1 3/16".
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you don't mind checking, do you happen you know what size barrel nut wrench they included? I'm curious as someone asked me what size wrench my unbrandedar barrel nut used, but I have no idea as it came with no tools or instructions (not something that I have a problem with) so I simply used an adjustable wrench. The spear's barrel nut, along with stngr's barrel nut all appear to be the same as my unbrandedar one and stngr lists their's as 1 3/16".
View Quote
The dimensions of the AT3 Spear and STNGR barrel nut wrenches are exactly the same.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The dimensions of the AT3 Spear and STNGR barrel nut wrenches are exactly the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good deal, thank you!
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Just a heads up if you order the upper/handguard combo: make sure you’re using the correct barrel nut. I initially used the one that came in the box with the upper and discovered that the handguard wouldn’t fit over it. That was after I discovered the correct nut still captured inside the handguard.

BTW, I seem to have misplaced the set screws that go into the bottom of the handguard to keep it from sliding forward. Can anybody tell me the specs of those screws?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just a heads up if you order the upper/handguard combo: make sure you’re using the correct barrel nut. I initially used the one that came in the box with the upper and discovered that the handguard wouldn’t fit over it. That was after I discovered the correct nut still captured inside the handguard.

BTW, I seem to have misplaced the set screws that go into the bottom of the handguard to keep it from sliding forward. Can anybody tell me the specs of those screws?
View Quote
So you got 2 barrel nuts when you purchased the handguard/upper receiver combo?

I'd contact AT3 Tactical and ask them to send you some replacement set screws.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes. The combo was nothing more than the individually packaged upper receiver and handguard in the same shipping box. Both nuts have a notch near the middle that goes the circumference of the nut. The notch in the nut that came in the the upper receiver package has squared off sides and is wider than the semi-circular notch in the nut that came in the handguard package.

I'd contact AT3 Tactical and ask them to send you some replacement set screws.
Already did, yesterday. They probably won’t respond until tomorrow at the earliest. In the meantime, I took the handguard down to Home Depot and discovered that a #8-32 x 3/4” set screw works well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top