Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2022 5:44:47 PM EDT
Only 6 left at $34.99. > https://ar15sport.com/product/a1-replacement-butt-plate-ret-a1-plate/

I was very surprised to see them pop up. I should have mine by the end of the day today.

And here's a link to some A1 trap doors on APEX to match... Says they're A2 doors but they're actually A1 doors. > https://www.apexgunparts.com/colt-trapdoor-assy-for-buttstock-ex.html
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice! Especially when you consider that Specialized Armament is charging $95.00 for the same butt plate.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The 86 ones I bought years back were narrow fitting on my A1 stocks. Left a lot of stock overhang on the sides. Hopes those are better.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 86 ones I bought years back were narrow fitting on my A1 stocks. Left a lot of stock overhang on the sides. Hopes those are better.
View Quote

I thought they stopped making them by 1983?

I'm still undecided on which A1 stocks I'm going to go with, either the ones at Fulton or the ones at APEX. Or maybe just wait until someone starts making CS stocks again so I can standardize on those instead.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag on one I have dates to 86.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Interesting, I guess they kept making replacement A1 butt plates for a while after the A2 butt plates became the standard. At least Freund Precision was, I wonder if they were a Colt sub contractor or what?

And I have no idea if the butt plates I just got are official Colt's or what?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I know that the Army used the M16A1 up to at least 1991, mostly for training units. The Army Reserves and National Guard used the A1 even longer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m having a hard time believing these are worth more than $10 a pop. Usually it seems like type E stocks are the red headed step children of retro parts. Although I know most anything gun related has gone up in price in the past couple years, so I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’m having a hard time believing these are worth more than $10 a pop. Usually it seems like type E stocks are the red headed step children of retro parts. Although I know most anything gun related has gone up in price in the past couple years, so I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.
View Quote

Hard to disagree, after all it's just a plastic butt plate. Though finding them NOS in the wrap isn't getting easier. I see them pop up on GunBroker every now and then at around the same price, but other than that and the ones at Specialized Armament I never really see them available, except for this rare occurrence... It's rare enough that it caused me to jump, just like seeing those NOS aluminum A2 trap doors that popped up in the EE recently.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Still 2 left, you guys are slackin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Only one left guys... Surprised it's sat there for over a week all by itself!

Edit: And it's gone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here's the overhang with one of the A1 butt plates on the A1 stock I just got from APEX. How's it compared to those 86 butt plates?

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]
About the same.
Not even the old ones fit all stocks perfect but most old ones I have had only had a little overhang at one side or the other near the middle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
About the same.
Not even the old ones fit all stocks perfect but most old ones I have had only had a little overhang at one side or the other near the middle. Heres a couple of old ones. Notice how little overhang there is.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1642/oldstock_JPG-2248024.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for the pic of how it should look.

I wonder if it's the butt plates or the stock bodies themselves? I suppose it could be a little of both.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#14]
The 86 ones fit A2 stocks I have perfectly. I don't know if the A1 stocks changed over the years or A2 ones might have had smooth plates at one time.

The A2 drawing is marked 6 month of 82. I would guess anything made later might fit an A2 better than an A1. But that is just a guess off the print date.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The 86 ones fit A2 stocks I have perfectly. I don't know if the A1 stocks changed over the years or A2 ones might have had smooth plates at one time.

The A2 drawing is marked 6 month of 82. I would guess anything made later might fit an A2 better than an A1. But that is just a guess off the print date.
View Quote

Well I had to go check. I tried fitting a modern Colt A2 butt plate onto the A1 stock and it actually fit a little better and with a little less overhang in the same areas. However, I tried fitting the A1 butt plate on 2 different A2 stocks and it wouldn't fit. The A2 stocks are actually tighter and shaped a bit differently on the sides of the lower portions of the butt plate interface to where it just won't fit. I'm sure I could have forced it, but I didn't want to damage anything. The A1 butt plate is actually a bit tight in the same area fitting it to the A1 stock, but not nearly so tight that they won't go together.

So at least for these 1982 dated A1 butt plates they're not cross compatible like the A2 butt plates are... I guess I should've just stuck with A2 butt plates across the board.

Now I'm interested to see how these A1 butt plates fit the A1 stocks from Fulton Armory.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I must have one 82 plate then. Have one that only fits an A1 but leaves the overhang. All the 86 ones I have fit my A2 stock well but are a little loose and have overhang on my A1 stocks. The bottom used one is the one that will fit my A1's only but leaves a lot of overhang like the 86 ones. You can tell by the number I tried hard to find ones that fit well but never did.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 12:44:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I must have one 82 plate then. Have one that only fits an A1 but leaves the overhang. All the 86 ones I have fit my A2 stock well but are a little loose and have overhang on my A1 stocks. The bottom used one is the one that will fit my A1's only but leaves a lot of overhang like the 86 ones. You can tell by the number I tried hard to find ones that fit well but never did.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1642/oldplate2_JPG-2248262.JPG
View Quote

I understand the frustration... I can definitely see how the overhang could be mentally bothersome, as I always like things to fit perfectly together myself. I just went through a similar exercise in frustration with the A2 butt plates and trap doors because I kept running into combinations that wouldn't work together (though in the end I achieved total victory). So, I could easily get dragged down the same path with A1 butt plate OCD, but I'm going to try very hard to resist that urge.

When I ordered these ones from AR15sport I was hopping they'd be the later textured ones, looks like you got a few of those... I assume they must be the ones made in 86?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#18]
The bagged 86 one is smooth. Don't remember where the textured ones came from.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The bagged 86 one is smooth. Don't remember where the textured ones came from.
View Quote

Hmmm, maybe the textured ones are even later than 86? The only place I've ever seen them along with a description of being "late" manufactured is Specialized Armament, but in the same description it also says out of production since 1983.

The smooth ones they have are listed as being "early" manufactured used from the late 60s through the late 70s.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Picture to me makes it look narrow and newer material than the old ones. Not worth the price to me to try one. The ones I have were less than 10 bucks each.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Picture to me makes it look narrow and newer material than the old ones. Not worth the price to me to try one. The ones I have were less than 10 bucks each.
View Quote

I definitely won't be paying those SA prices to find out either, but I can't say I haven't been tempted at times.

Maybe if I was a dentist or something.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top