Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/12/2021 9:09:36 PM EDT
I am just finishing this build. The issue is it won’t completely eject. The barrel is a 16 inch McGown 1-12 twist. Adjustable gas block. I have opened the gas port from .078 to .086. If I run it completely soppy wet with oil it will cycle part of the time but will not hold the bolt open on last round. Using gen 3 pmag with the CMmgl 9mm adapter. Theupper is on a plum crazy lower. Wondering what if I need a lighter spring and or buffer. Or open the gas port some more.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 3:51:13 AM EDT
[#1]
It is easy enough to push the roll pin out of the buffer in order to take weight out.
A lot of buffer weight isn't really needed since you are not running full auto, you have an adjustable gas block, and it's the cheapest option.

Latest buffer I've built I have one Delrin weight with 2 tungsten, and have turned down the gas to control it.
Next move is to replace another tungsten with Delrin, and turn down the gas some more.
Hardly any semi-autos run as much combined bolt/buffer weight as an AR, unless they are blow-back, like the Thompson, or grease gun, and in this day and age, why even run blow-back ?
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input I have a 3oz buffer and a 10.7 spring. My buffer tube measures 7 1/4 inches long. It is an adjustable butt stock.  Barrel is 18 inches long. I am using a mid length gas tube. I just took the tapco buffer apart it had three weights in it. With some type of soft material separating them. I removed one weight. Will try it over the next couple of days.
What do you think.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
That is a lot of free play with just 2 weights, you may look at taking up the space with something light.
That is why I used one Delrin spacer.
Short chunk of 1/4" air hose thee length of one of the weights, or something.
I realize that most people don't have a machine shop as I do, or shelves of different materials, but if you look around, you might find something.
Otherwise just order in a few plastic or aluminum buffer weights.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:19:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I got back to this project. I replaced two of buffer weights with aluminum rod with the center drilled out. I also drilled the gas port out to .100. My goal right now is to get it lock back on the last round. It is still short stroking. My test is to camber a round and insert an unmodified pmag that I know works. Fire the round and see if the bolt locks back. Which it doesn’t. It caught to fired case between the ejection port and the bolt.  What now?
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a carbine length as near as I can measure 7 3/4 inches from the port to the start of the chamber. There is 10 1/2 inches after the gas port to the muzzle. Ammo is factory Armscor 40gr hollow point. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thinking about removing all the buffer weight.
It is a McGowan barrel.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#7]
My AR45 DI (45acp), another low gas producing round, has the gas port almost next to the case mouth.
But short of additional machine work, try a lighter buffer spring, and/or take all the weight out of the buffer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok no weights in the buffer. It will eject. Will not lock back after last round. Any body got a suggestion or recommendation for a lighter buffer spring?
We are doing better not quite there yet. But definitely better. I hater to go larger on the gas port already at .100
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top