Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 1/9/2021 6:12:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/11/2021 10:46:01 PM EST by JustBob21]
Frontier 5.56 NATO 55GR FMJ M193.  Looking online to find more  I'm seeing bad reports of this stuff.

Checking here...  has Hornady fixed the trouble?

Item number FR200

Lot numbers :

WLC20L857-008

WLC20K857-004

Thanks in advance.

Bob H

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:12:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/9/2021 7:13:59 PM EST by Makarov]
First, welcome to AR15.com. Your fruit basket should be arriving in 6-8 weeks.

As to Hornady’s Frontier ammunition, I do remember reported problems with the 55gr. Load. There were enough anecdotal complaints that I decided to pass on buying.

However, according to the Hornady website https://www.hornady.com/support/product-recalls/ there have been no recalls of their Frontier line of ammunition.

I really don’t know what to advise you. If it were mine, I would be tempted to shoot a few rounds from each lot and carefully examine the spent cases for signs of over-pressure; cratered primers, budged case, splits, violent extraction, etc.  

Or

Two boxes isn’t really a major investment, even at today’s prices. Maybe dump-it, breathe-in, breathe-out and move-on.

You could also send Hornady an e-mail, noting the Lot#s and ask them if there is any reason for concern. See what they have to say.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:31:53 PM EST
Hornady stood behind their products ZERO times after grenading guns AFAIK.

Tells me all that I need to know.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:49:43 PM EST
Thanks! I believe I’ll pass on these 2 boxes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:50:13 PM EST
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:42:40 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Makarov:
First, welcome to AR15.com. Your fruit basket should be arriving in 6-8 weeks.

As to Hornady’s Frontier ammunition, I do remember reported problems with the 55gr. Load. There were enough anecdotal complaints that I decided to pass on buying.

However, according to the Hornady website https://www.hornady.com/support/product-recalls/ there have been no recalls of their Frontier line of ammunition.

View Quote

They obviously didn't give a damn about faulty ammo, and told everyone to FOAD, so why would they bother to recall it?  Pity someone couldn't get the Federal Trade Commission involved to get a formal recall going.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:17:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/11/2021 10:46:50 PM EST by JustBob21]
Originally Posted By billclo:

They obviously didn't give a damn about faulty ammo, and told everyone to FOAD, so why would they bother to recall it?  Pity someone couldn't get the Federal Trade Commission involved to get a formal recall going.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:18:27 AM EST
Don't toss them if you know anyone that reloads.  They can pull the components amd reload them. I know its only a couple of boxes but I wouldn't waste a single round if at all possible in these times.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:49:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By LV1976:
Don't toss them if you know anyone that reloads.  They can pull the components amd reload them. I know its only a couple of boxes but I wouldn't waste a single round if at all possible in these times.
View Quote

Good point. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:09:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2021 2:59:48 PM EST by JustBob21]
The recall list on the Hornady site hasn't had any entries since 2014. That's an amazing run of quality. (smells fishy)

I just Emailed Hornady all pertinent info. I expect nothing to come of it but I at least let them know.

I will post response if I get reply.

2 20 round boxes really isn't much, but it's really hard to get ANY ammo now.
I suspect there is a LOT of junk ammo out there. Probably more than the good stuff at this point.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:33:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2021 5:14:44 PM EST by OTDR]
delete
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:35:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2021 5:39:26 PM EST by WTex]
I shot some Frontier and lived to tell about it, but I haven't bought any more since reading about it.  Right now those 2 boxes are still like gold, I would either put them back for emergencies or sell them a month from now for more than you paid.  I wouldn't hold it against the shop, its not their fault Hornady has sent out some questionable ammo.  And congratulations on getting your AR15, now go buy a bunch of mags!
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:05:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By WTex:
I shot some Frontier and lived to tell about it, but I haven't bought any more since reading about it.  Right now those 2 boxes are still like gold, I would either put them back for emergencies or sell them a month from now for more than you paid.  I wouldn't hold it against the shop, its not their fault Hornady has sent out some questionable ammo.  And congratulations on getting your AR15, now go buy a bunch of mags!
View Quote

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:39:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By JustBob21:

Thanks!!
View Quote

Where did you buy the gun? Wasnt Clyde Armory was it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:01:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/11/2021 10:47:41 PM EST by JustBob21]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

Where did you buy the gun? Wasnt Clyde Armory was it?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:04:15 AM EST
The recall list on the Hornady site hasn't had any entries since 2014. That's an amazing run of quality. (smells fishy)

I just Emailed Hornady all pertinent info. I expect nothing to come of it but I at least let them know.

View Quote

Received from Hornady this morning:

Recently you requested assistance from our customer support center. The following is a summary of your request and our response.

Hornady Support commented at: 01-11-2021 08:41

Thank you for your email. The lot# you provided indicates the ammunition you purchased is brand new. Lake City Army Ammunition Plant did have a few issues in early 2018 and has since been resolved. With your ammunition dating to 2020, I would run this with all the confidence in the world.

Thank you

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:51:06 AM EST

Recently you requested assistance from our customer support center. The following is a summary of your request and our response.

Thank you for your email. The lot# you provided indicates the ammunition you purchased is brand new. Lake City Army Ammunition Plant did have a few issues in early 2018 and has since been resolved. With your ammunition dating to 2020, I would run this with all the confidence in the world.

Thank you

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:09:40 PM EST

Thank you

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank you

So... "had a few problems" but no recalls... OK

M193 55gr that starts with "Fr..." (Frontier and Freedom Arms). Those were the 2 with reports of kabooms.

These days though, "Beggars... choosers" and all that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:22:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

So... "had a few problems" but no recalls... OK

M193 55gr that starts with "Fr..." (Frontier and Freedom Arms). Those were the 2 with reports of kabooms.

These days though, "Beggars... choosers" and all that.
View Quote

I sent another email asking what lots were the problem so I can look for that going forward... Their response:

"Anything SMQ18 loaded in 5.56 NATO could pose an issue although, we have not been able to duplicate it with our testing."
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:35:00 PM EST
The lot numbers that the OP listed are from 2020.  The Kabooms related to the Frontier ammo were from 2018.  I have been shooting Frontier without any issue but you can search the forums for those threads.  I don't know if the reason those kabooms happened was ever identified but it is impossible to double charge a 5.56 case (with the correct powder) and they looked strangely like the kabooms that we have seen recently, that have happened when someone shoots a 300 blackout in a 5.56 rifle.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:40:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By Otto_Mation:
The lot numbers that the OP listed are from 2020.  The Kabooms related to the Frontier ammo were from 2018.  I have been shooting Frontier without any issue but you can search the forums for those threads.  I don't know if the reason those kabooms happened was ever identified but it is impossible to double charge a 5.56 case (with the correct powder) and they looked strangely like the kabooms that we have seen recently, that have happened when someone shoots a 300 blackout in a 5.56 rifle.
View Quote

Thanks. Interesting theory for sure.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:58:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By Otto_Mation:
>and they looked strangely like the kabooms that we have seen recently, that have happened when someone shoots a 300 blackout in a 5.56 rifle.
View Quote

Except they were, in fact, not.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:55:03 PM EST
I used to love that stuff.   Then about the time people reported problems,  I popped a primer on 1 (a common trait of the ones that blew up).  Haven't fired a round of it since.  

And definitely not 300 blackout
Top Top