Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2021 2:56:50 PM EDT
I put together an AR in a 7.62x39 format.  The firing pin strikes and dents the primer but no ignition.  I fired the same rounds in an AK and the ammo worked fine.  I've checked the trigger installation and it looks proper.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#1]
They make an enhanced firing pin for 7.62x39. Not that it is always needed. Also, you can use extra power springs or just cut the claw off the hammer.

I have shot a lot of surplus 5.45x39 which have really hard primers and I usually just shave the claw off the hammer and that little extra wham seems to do the trick when using milspec springs

The Extra power springs add weight to the trigger pull though.

I picked a couple of used RRA 2 stage triggers and they also do the job but I think that is because they use the lightweight speed hammer (hammer with no claw).
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
What firing pin are you using and what hammer spring are you using?

RedX sells extended firing pins and Wolff sells extra power hammer springs. In my experience both are needed for full reliability with 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 builds.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Generic mil-spec trigger parts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your help.  Ordering now...
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to be late to the party, but Velocity Triggers makes a dedicated drop-in made just for the hard primer 7.62x39 surplus ammo.
4 lb. trigger pull.

Velocity Steel Case Ammo

Just in case your Mil.Spec. stuff doesn't work out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Ran into this issue with 7.62 ARs.  I found that Brass US made ammo is no problem for them.  Seem the hard primers on the Steel stuff it doesn't like.  I'd start with a different hammer spring (Shown above).  The issue with the extended firing pin is it pierces the softer primers on the brass ammo.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#8]
My Larue MBT-2S whacks them primers hard enough to light em off every time.  Mil-spec with weak worn out hammer spring was about 60% reliable.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:14:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:54:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What firing pin are you using and what hammer spring are you using?

Red X sells extended firing pins and Wolff sells extra power hammer springs. In my experience both are needed for full reliability with 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 builds.
View Quote

Get the Red X "Enhanced Firing Pin"...    THAT was the instant fix for my 7.62x39 ARs when I was getting dented but not fired primers.

The Red X "Enhanced Firing Pin" ($9.99 w/ free shipping) super easy & worked even with the Rock River 2 stage national Match trigger (which has lighter springs).

Anyway - I'd definitely Give the Red X "Enhanced Firing Pin" a go -

Edited - We shoot a fair amount of brass cased 7.62x39 and 5.56 and have never seen a pierced primer with the Red X FP on either 7.62x39 or 5.56 ammo.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I finally received the enhanced firing pin and trigger spring.  Worked like a charm.  Fires fine now, but.....  I an getting a failure to eject about every 3rd round.  I cleaned the gun paying special attention to the BCG.  Polished the extractor a very little.  No luck.  Ejecting manually has the same effect.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you have an O ring under your extractor?  That's probably what I would try first, possibly with a heavier buffer as well.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top