Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2020 9:32:02 AM EDT
looking for really good metal 20 rounders.

my pmags dont fit in the chest rig real well. how are the ASC metal mags? the general reviews are good. found D&H mags, their 223 mags are good, how about the 308 version?

the lancer mags are sold out everywhere. what else is there?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#1]
KAC...but they are spendy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
took the plunge on some d&h metals from psa. will report back.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Brownells.  But I had mixed results on drop free and some did not feed well.  I had to clean up the bodies before they functioned perfectly.

I had issues with ASC as well.  

I've had no issues with KAC or Lancer
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Had issues with a bunch of ASC .308 mags on my Windham SRC-308 (AR10). I use Lancers and PMAGs, wouldn't mind having some good aluminum AR10 mags... Not willing to pay KAC prices though, that's just outrageous.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The KAC mags aren’t cheap, but they can be found in the EE from time to time for a reasonable price.

They are also steel instead of aluminum so the bodies last and you can change out springs for longevity.  The internal dimensions provide more room for a longer cartridge like M118LR or reloads.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I have several LR-308 based firearms but only three are standard calibers.  For me, the old likely never to be seen again DPMS mags are as good as they get with regards to metal mags.  Brownells are a close second and CProducts (old CP, not the newer CPD company) were not even a close third.  I have not tried the newer CPD.

In my cats I cannot use any polymer mags, not even the Lancer L7 because they swell too much, but for standard calibers, .260, .308, .338 Federal, the Lancer L7 mags are my go to magazines.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
E-Lander steel 20rd mags.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
E-Lander steel 20rd mags.
View Quote

you tried those and no issues with follower tilt?  that was my biggest problem with some c-products mags.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Can M14 magazines still be converted and used or have the lowers changed?
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#10]
D&H are GTG. The "retro-style" ones that look like KAC mags are, as far as I can tell, dimensionally identical to KAC mags at a tiny fraction of the price. I bought five to try, no problems with them.

Also tried the new pattern D&H steels with the round count holes, have not had an issue with those either.

L7 AWMs are my preferred, but I have a stash of D&H metal mags as backups after buying them to try them and being satisfied with them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That only worked with the Armalite B-series rifles and a few rifles based on that pattern. (Noveske and I forget who else)

Pretty much everything has standardized to the SR-25/DPMS type of mags now.

*I'm one of the poor bastards that got into .308's too early and am fully vested in the virtually obsolete B-series.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I know they're expensive, but aren't LaRue .308 mags another metal option?

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-20-round-7-62-magazines/
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 1:53:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The D&H magazines are good. The ones with the green followers are good (labelled 308 mags), the ones with the orange followers (listed as 6.5mm Creedmore) are a touch longer, seat easier on a closed bolt, and both should be cleaned thoroughly to get residue from the finish out. I use Eezox, which cleans the residue, lubes the magazine, and dries to the touch (doesn't attract dirt/ dust). Had a number of the Magpul magazines split on me at the back of the feed lips, so I've pretty much transitioned to the steel mags.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 3:16:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The D&H magazines are good. The ones with the green followers are good (labelled 308 mags), the ones with the orange followers (listed as 6.5mm Creedmore) are a touch longer, seat easier on a closed bolt, and both should be cleaned thoroughly to get residue from the finish out. I use Eezox, which cleans the residue, lubes the magazine, and dries to the touch (doesn't attract dirt/ dust). Had a number of the Magpul magazines split on me at the back of the feed lips, so I've pretty much transitioned to the steel mags.
View Quote

Had that too on some PMAGs. FWIW if you like polymer but don’t like splitting, Lancers don’t have that issue.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Had that too on some PMAGs. FWIW if you like polymer but don’t like splitting, Lancers don’t have that issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats crazy both you had the famed pmags split. how much use had those mags seen and did you store them loaded?

any speculation as to what the problem  is or is that just a design flaw?

i’ve never heard of 223 mags doing, does it happen to them too?
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

thats crazy both you had the famed pmags split. how much use had those mags seen and did you store them loaded?

i've never heard of 223 mags doing, does it happen to them too?
View Quote
I'm going to guess they were stored loaded without the cap.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Never had any issues with my aluminum KAC 10/20 rd mags or my one Brownells aluminum 20rder.

CD
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Never had any issues with my aluminum KAC 10/20 rd mags or my one Brownells aluminum 20rder.

CD
View Quote

Same here for the KAC mags....very expensive, but a damn good mag

Also look at the LaRue mags for their 762 OBR, The Larue mags are very well made, not cheap either.   I had some Brownells but my OBR did not like them, returned for a refund before I got my SR25....but I do hear good things about the Brownells mags.

For range use, the KACs stay inside and I use Lancer and Magpul mags
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#20]
i took those 4 D&H mags with the lime green followers out today. put 40 rounds thru each one with no issues.

guess i’ll take the plunge and stock up on those, for $20 each. i can’t justify kac mags.  308 is not my main squeeze.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Used somewhat regularly, stored loaded, no cap because who is going to pull a mag out of their armor, pop the cap, and then use it if they actually needed to do that?
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got some of those for my PA-10. Seem like good mags but I haven’t gotten them to the range yet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, but I’m having trouble with mine.  Granted I have not put many rounds through them, but I am having issues with tilt, on the last two rounds.

If anyone has a solution, I’m all ears.  I can’t find any anti tilt followers.

ETA. Lightly used/very new pa-10
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@riverrockar

Same here, but I’m having trouble with mine.  Granted I have not put many rounds through them, but I am having issues with tilt, on the last two rounds.

View Quote

well shit! that sucks to hear. how many cycles did you get thru before that happened?

that was the same problem i had with the c product ones after about 20 loading cycles.

with the ammo shitstorm i’m not going to be putting 1000 rounds thru these to try out. glad i still have my gen3 pmags.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#25]
IIRC it's been happening from new.  I notice it when there are only two rounds left in the mag, can duplicate it by pushing down on the rear of the cartridge, and only two in the mag.  I've tried a few things to polish, lubricate, tweak...no dice, the last two always hang up, and on all five of my d&h mags.  My next solution is to maybe find a different spring supplier, or put a block under the spring to increase tension, with the loss of one, for overall capacity.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh oh. Have had zero issues with mine feeding regular M80 ball, but haven't run them through that many cycles as I use my L7s the vast majority of the time. Hopefully D&H didn't cheap out on the springs for the retro-style mags...
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My magazines were new. Has to do with thickness of the feed lips at that point. It's actually a design defect, not that Magpul would admit that.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:47:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be wrong. New mags, loaded before going to the range.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#29]
i ordered up a couple of the D&H 6.5 creedmore mags with the orange followers too. one poster here claimed they worked, will have those this week and see how they do.

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
i ordered up a couple of the D&H 6.5 grendel mags with the orange followers too. one poster here claimed they worked, will have those this week and see how they do.

View Quote
Where from?

I don't have a grendel, but someday I may want one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where from?

I don't have a grendel, but someday I may want one.
View Quote

@jaqufrost

sorry, creedmore. my bad.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/d-h-20rd-6-5-creedmoor-magazine-steel-sr25-pattern-dht-12133-rt.html
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Ok. Already ordered 20 of those.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I ordered (backordered) a bunch of the D&H .308 mags from DSG yesterday.  No issues with my .308 PMAGS, but these will give me a nice alternative as well as the right look if I ever get my MK11 Mod 0 build done.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That only worked with the Armalite B-series rifles and a few rifles based on that pattern. (Noveske and I forget who else)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eagle (Div of Armalite) and AP (AeroPrecision)
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#35]
got the creedmore mag and its a little tight for overall cartridge length. it does have an anti tilt follower but it has some issues with back side tilting.  

also got another order of 308 d&h with green followers and checked them and they are have tilting issues too with a few rounds in them. funny the first batch was gtg.

guess i’ll see if some wolff xtra power springs fixes this. whatta pain. lol
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

@riverrockar

update on my DH with green followers.......that night i was just trying one mag and it was the ONE mag from the new batch that had a bent in right side feed lip. it prevented the round from coming all the way up.

i bent it up a little but need to work it more. here is a pic after tweeking it upward a bit....you can see it on the right side mag, right side feed lip.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#38]
The issue I am having is not with the round coming up far enough, it's tilt on the last two rounds.  the front of the round comes up fine.  I really think that the follower is just not tall enough, which allows it to bind/tilt in the mag.  I'm going to try some different lube, I've been using Hoppe's dri-lube, may look for the pb blaster that was recommended a few posts up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#39]
had anyone tried these hexmags? are they less bulky than pmags for fitting in a chest rig?

Attachment Attached File

the issue i have with pmags is they are fat and dont fit my chest rig pouches well. its 4 wide for pouches and the pmags won’t all fit, where as the steel do but i’m finding that my d&h mags with the green followers are not all 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
had anyone tried these hexmags? are they less bulky than pmags for fitting in a chest rig?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/17526/32D228E4-0F13-40FD-8509-28CA5D1848A9_png-1908427.JPG

the issue i have with pmags is they are fat and dont fit my chest rig pouches well. its 4 wide for pouches and the pmags won’t all fit, where as the steel do but i’m finding that my d&h mags with the green followers are not all 100% reliable.
View Quote

Pure hearsay and speculation on my part, so don’t know how much this will help, but I remember reading an article about how Hexmags were failing miserably during a class with high volume shooting, and there was a photo of the pile of Hexmags discarded by students during the class. I’d be cautious given that may carry over to their 7.62 mags.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Pure hearsay and speculation on my part, so don’t know how much this will help, but I remember reading an article about how Hexmags were failing miserably during a class with high volume shooting, and there was a photo of the pile of Hexmags discarded by students during the class. I’d be cautious given that may carry over to their 7.62 mags.
View Quote

thanks for that info. i have started a pile of the DH mags now, of the 15 i bought, 3 of them have been junked for feeding issues on the last couple rounds.  

guess pmags will do me....
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#42]
It sure is hard to find a "definitively" GTG cheap range beater mag for this platform.

Everyone agrees that KAC and Larue are GTG, but they cost 85-95 dollars (considering what I pay for 2011 mags while this isn't ideal, it could be worse).

I tried Lancers initially but had nothing but bolt over base malfunctions with the first 2 I opened and dumped them.

Magpuls function nicely for the most part (not a whole lot of room inside, COAL needs to be short or binding can occur) but are fragile.  They also don't fit in the same mag pouches that will fit the metal mags.

I'd love to try either the D&H "retro" or "modern" (orange follower) but it seems opinion on them varies widely and I'm curious what kind of COAL they can handle---are they similar to Larue and KAC in this regard?

Then this Elander--never heard of them but with their price point and unknown country of origin I'm currently a skeptic.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/17526/32D228E4-0F13-40FD-8509-28CA5D1848A9_png-1908427.JPG

View Quote

I bought a couple and they wouldn't reliably feed. Bought a couple of D&H, I think. Need to get some more.
Only other polymer mags I have are Lancers, in 5.56
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 2:00:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It sure is hard to find a "definitively" GTG cheap range beater mag for this platform.

Everyone agrees that KAC and Larue are GTG, but they cost 85-95 dollars (considering what I pay for 2011 mags while this isn't ideal, it could be worse).

I tried Lancers initially but had nothing but bolt over base malfunctions with the first 2 I opened and dumped them.

Magpuls function nicely for the most part (not a whole lot of room inside, COAL needs to be short or binding can occur) but are fragile.  They also don't fit in the same mag pouches that will fit the metal mags.

I'd love to try either the D&H "retro" or "modern" (orange follower) but it seems opinion on them varies widely and I'm curious what kind of COAL they can handle---are they similar to Larue and KAC in this regard?

Then this Elander--never heard of them but with their price point and unknown country of origin I'm currently a skeptic.
View Quote

Are the 308 Pmags susceptible to breakage? Never heard any durability problems with them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Are the 308 Pmags susceptible to breakage? Never heard any durability problems with them.
View Quote

I've only broken one, but I've never broken one in 5.56.  I blew a reload and sent a full mag sailing and it it a rock and split.  Seems if you google it there are a lot more hits of broken feedlips (the rounds do weigh a lot more).  I've seen some people say they can bulge a bit and be tight when loaded, I've not experienced that.  They typically do fit much tighter than metal mags though, but that's an external dimension issue.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a bunch of them. ZERO issues, but then again I clean/lube them with Eezox before first use.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Israel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I had a dozen KAC mags but it was hard to rationalize having $1200 in a dozen mags when the same amount of money would buy 70 SEVENTY LR/SR 20rd PMags. I sold the KACs, and bought ten LR/SR 20rd PMags.  I just bought twenty 25rd PMags last week.  I figure thirty (30) AR10 mags will be plenty since I wouldn't carry more than six 20rd or four 25rd.

If you're set on metal mags then KAC Gen 2 all the way.  However, I am slowly growing to appreciate plastic mags (PMAG only) so you might want to try a $16 PMAG before spending $100 on a KAC.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I had a dozen KAC mags but it was hard to rationalize having $1200 in a dozen mags when the same amount of money would buy 70 SEVENTY LR/SR 20rd PMags. I sold the KACs, and bought ten LR/SR 20rd PMags.  I just bought twenty 25rd PMags last week.  I figure thirty (30) AR10 mags will be plenty since I wouldn't carry more than six 20rd or four 25rd.

If you're set on metal mags then KAC Gen 2 all the way.  However, I am slowly growing to appreciate plastic mags (PMAG only) so you might want to try a $16 PMAG before spending $100 on a KAC.
View Quote

i dont mind pmags once they are in the rifle but trying to carry them in a chest rig doesnt work. they take up too much room.

the ASC mags worked good once i filed out the feed lip width to allow the carrier to pass through........wth ffs?!?!

ran across another new brand to me, Duramag stainless. gonna try one of those and see how if works. the reviews were good but thats subjective.

what are these E-Lander steel mags from larue though?

https://www.larue.com/products/e-lander-7-62-20-round-magazine/

edit; oh i see, they are spotty. lots of reviews from around the web on these.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have several LR-308 based firearms but only three are standard calibers.  For me, the old likely never to be seen again DPMS mags are as good as they get with regards to metal mags.  
View Quote

I have a few of the Bushmaster 20s in my pile of PMags, I am sure they are the same. I was assured by those around me that they would fail, and cause the end of life as I knew it.

Those damn things are rock solid.  I recall seeing them on the Bushmaster site for a truly ridiculous price, so I never bought any more of them.  They would fit nicely for OPs purpose...

Yep, just looked, still crazy priced: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/F1007211
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top