Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2022 7:22:57 PM EDT
I purchased a URX4 and ADM/Criterion 16" barrel for an AR10 build.  Unfortunately, the URX4 will not fit over the end of the barrel near the extension, due to the barrel diameter.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system?  The diameter of the barrel at the rear of the ADM/Criterion is approximately 1.18".
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If you plan on getting rid of the URX4, I'll take it.  I've been looking to replace my Aero handguard on my 18" 6.5 build
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you plan on getting rid of the URX4, I'll take it.  I've been looking to replace my Aero handguard on my 18" 6.5 build
View Quote

Definitely don't want to get rid of the URX4.  I just had it and a receiver set cerakoted.  I just need a barrel with a smaller diameter towards the rear.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#3]
i just went and measured an AR-10 barrel extension.  1.19".  so 1.18" is in the ball-park for normal AR-10.

are you sure you got an AR-10 version of the URX4?  not the AR-15 version?  are you saying the URX4 barrel nut won't fit onto the Criterion barrel extension?  what's the ID of the barrel nut?

nvm.  I think I don't understand the SR-25 URX4 mounting system.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The shank diameter of the X-Caliber barrels are 1.150". I don't know if that is enough of a difference though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The Criterion Hybrid fits just fine, in 6.5 CM.

Edit: looks like their 308 hybrid 16” also has a rifle length gas system. However, looking at both the hybrid and ADM barrel profiles, I’m surprised that the URX4 didn’t fit on the ADM profile. Both the ADM and Hybrid seem to be the diameter of the barrel extension, at the base of the barrel, which the URX 4 threads should clear easily because the threads are a larger diameter than the OD of the receiver extension.

6.5 CM, 16”, rifle length gas
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I purchased a URX4 and ADM/Criterion 16" barrel for an AR10 build.  Unfortunately, the URX4 will not fit over the end of the barrel near the extension, due to the barrel diameter.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system?  The diameter of the barrel at the rear of the ADM/Criterion is approximately 1.18".
View Quote

Are you sure you don’t have an SR15 URX4?

The inner diameter of the SR25 URX4 threads should be ~1.37” if I remember right, just like normal large frame AR handguard barrel nut threads. That gives plenty of space for 1.18” barrel thickness.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Criterion Hybrid fits just fine, in 6.5 CM.

Edit: looks like their 308 hybrid 16” also has a rifle length gas system. However, looking at both the hybrid and ADM barrel profiles, I’m surprised that the URX4 didn’t fit on the ADM profile. Both the ADM and Hybrid seem to be the diameter of the barrel extension, at the base of the barrel, which the URX 4 threads should clear easily because the threads are a larger diameter than the OD of the receiver extension.

6.5 CM, 16”, rifle length gas

https://i.ibb.co/88NXFMw/7-CA7-CCA2-1604-458-C-8-FF2-F4-CCA1-B95325.jpg
View Quote

Nice stick.

Is that a Wilson Combat receiver set? How do you like it? Did you use their lpk? Working on a similar build.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nice stick.

Is that a Wilson Combat receiver set? How do you like it? Did you use their lpk? Working on a similar build.
View Quote

Thanks.

Yup, and the upper is their “lightweight” version. I used their LPK and a JP high pressure FMOS BCG. Though I’m sure their BCG is good quality like the rest of their stuff. I did swap the safety for a Badger Ordnance and put in a Geissele SSA-E trigger.

I have no complaints with the Wilson setup. It is a good value, especially if you can do a mil or similar discount.

I previously had an LMT MARS-H lower but it just wasn’t worth the price. I really don’t need full AMBI, and the AMBI bolt catch actually interfered and wouldn’t work with non-LMT uppers.

Very happy to have switched to the Wilson. Fit and finish were wonderful and everything went together swimmingly. Plus, it saves a decent chunk of weight over the LMT without feeling like a flimsy ultralight build.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The inner diameter of the SR25 URX4 threads should be ~1.37” if I remember right, just like normal large frame AR handguard barrel nut threads. That gives plenty of space for 1.18” barrel thickness.
View Quote

This. Does the URX4 thread onto the upper receiver without the barrel installed?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s definitely the SR25 version.  P/N 31887.  It’s not the threads that are the issue.  There is a lip past the threads, where the QD mount is, that is hanging up in the rear of the barrel.  The handguard threads onto the upper fine with the barrel not present.

ETA: Here’s a photo showing the lip I am referencing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It’s definitely the SR25 version.  P/N 31887.  It’s not the threads that are the issue.  There is a lip past the threads, where the QD mount is, that is hanging up in the rear of the barrel.  The handguard threads onto the upper fine with the barrel not present.

ETA: Here’s a photo showing the lip I am referencing.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414212/6FC31693-9B5F-4D49-9573-595F7F475DFB_jpe-2482833.JPG
View Quote

Ahh. I wish I could easily take mine off to measure my barrel and inside the handguard. All I can say is the hybrid profile barrel fits in my URX4.

Criterion shows that their 6.5 and 308 Hybrid profile barrels have the same external dimensions. Your URX4 would need to have clearance for a 1.200” outer diameter in front of the receiver extension, which my URX4 does. But if the ADM is only 1.18” and it still doesn’t fit, then I think something may be off with your URX4.

Do you have a way to measure that barrel nut lip inner diameter?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ahh. I wish I could easily take mine off to measure my barrel and inside the handguard. All I can say is the hybrid profile barrel fits in my URX4.

Criterion shows that their 6.5 and 308 Hybrid profile barrels have the same external dimensions. Your URX4 would need to have clearance for a 1.200” outer diameter in front of the receiver extension, which my URX4 does. But if the ADM is only 1.18” and it still doesn’t fit, then I think something may be off with your URX4.

https://criterionbarrels.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/AR10-HYR-1536x227.jpg

Do you have a way to measure that barrel nut lip inner diameter?
View Quote

Unfortunately, I don’t.  I sent an email to KAC to see what their thoughts are.  ADM confirmed that my measurements were consistent with their barrels.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I don’t.  I sent an email to KAC to see what their thoughts are.  ADM confirmed that my measurements were consistent with their barrels.
View Quote

Best of luck. Worst case, I bet you could get that inner section bored out a thousandth of an inch or whatever is necessary.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe without the receiver you could vertically insert the barrel from the threaded end of the rail. Use some Dykem or mark the tapered portion of the barrel forward of the shank with a Sharpie. Twist the barrel, measure at the interference marks with calipers. Not entirely accurate, but might give you a better idea of the dimensional differences.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I think SR25 barrels are thinner just in front of the receiver. I’ve seen URX 3.1 barrel nuts having to be skimmed for non KAC barrels to fit. Wonder if the same applies to URX4. @unclemoak calls it out on his site.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think SR25 barrels are thinner just in front of the receiver. I've seen URX 3.1 barrel nuts having to be skimmed for non KAC barrels to fit. Wonder if the same applies to URX4. @unclemoak calls it out on his site.
View Quote

it is an issue with URX 2/3, but I haven't seen it with a URX 4 though.

Seems a little odd to me and maybe worth digging a little deeper on what the root cause of the issue is.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I received a response from KAC.  They stated the inside of the handguard in that area should be 1.2" +/- .02" in diameter.

They also stated they cannot guarantee function with other manufacturers parts.

It looks like I may have to have the barrel or handguard machined to work.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top