Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're gonna have to shoot from further than 7 yards to get any data
View Quote
It depends on what one is testing for/on. I was ensuring that my 36yd zero had the proper POA/POI on the EOTech reticle. At 7yds on in, the bottom of the reticle would be my POA reference + POI. And that I did confirm.

Edit: I will be doing some 100yd testing on the gun however, which I have yet to do...to even see what it's capable of doing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A torture test, and an Mk18/CQBR torture test on top of that? Yeah, you had to know I'd be around eventually, lol.

I hadn't really thought about the timing of the rebate; I guess Federal wants to boost sales during the winter when a lot of the country isn't shooting. On the other hand, here in AZ, this is prime shooting season :D. Even still, offseason or not, it's a great time to stock up.

I wouldn't really say there is much of a difference between steel and brass - at least with Wolf. Shooting suppressed is a filthy business no matter what ammo you use, heh. If there is a difference, it's pretty minor. I never think, "Oh, I've been shooting steel, I better clean it more often."

Far as lubes, I prefer grease; it works great and lasts significantly longer between applications. I used to only use Super Lube, but all the talk about PTFE potentially releasing toxic vapors if exposed to enough heat finally sent me looking for a non-PTFE grease. After searching a bit, CV2 seemed to have the best stats (although it might be a little thick for extremely cold climates). I've been using it for a while and so far, so good - used it down to a little below 30 degrees and no issues. CherryBalmz is good stuff as well, and noticeably slicker; but, applying it every 300-500 makes that little bottle run out fast. If you're not shooting suppressed, CB is pretty cost effective; unsuppressed it can easily go 2k between applications, and it should be thin enough for just about any climate.

Yeah, I think the Gas Buster is pretty hard to beat out of the box for gas redirection. I'm looking forward to checking out the new ambi Gas Buster that PRI is supposed to be releasing. It'd be nice to have the features of a GB, but with a slightly more modern (and hopefully more robust) design.
View Quote
Haha, you're right about that. I truly love the color of my RIS II and on another note I feel the coating on the EOTech is slowly becoming more subdued or "drab" if that makes sense. I like how everything came together. On another note I've been using Okay Industries (SureFeed) mags and after a few tosses in the snow, the base plate on one took some damage but still runs like a champ. I've got two E2 mags on order to give a shot as well.

I've always used Slip 2000 EWL but on occasion use spare motor oil I've got at my gun table too. Something like 5W40 or what not....but if it works it works right?? lol

I thought I saw a sneak peak on the new PRI charging handle and it looked a little goofy...so yeah...hopefully the new design will be more modern and all.

How is your suppressor doing by the way?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:19:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nice Tavor, how how you like it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weapon lights and flash hiders don't typically cause an increase in shit build up.  But to answer your question, a Surefire RC556.  Without the suppressor I have gone for longer round counts through the SBRs without worry.  My 16 inch guns are fired often and I usually pull and wipe the bolt every thousand rounds or so.  I rarely encounter problems.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86228/20170422_195001_jpg-808129.JPG

Soon I will be stress testing this addition to my stable.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86228/20190112_081741_jpg-808138.JPG
Nice Tavor, how how you like it?
Enough to buy a second in FDE.  I might shoot it twice a year though, too much other stuff in the rotation.  Im okay at mag changes and malfunction drills but it wouldn't be my first choice for a fight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:24:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Haha, you're right about that. I truly love the color of my RIS II and on another note I feel the coating on the EOTech is slowly becoming more subdued or "drab" if that makes sense. I like how everything came together. On another note I've been using Okay Industries (SureFeed) mags and after a few tosses in the snow, the base plate on one took some damage but still runs like a champ. I've got two E2 mags on order to give a shot as well.

I've always used Slip 2000 EWL but on occasion use spare motor oil I've got at my gun table too. Something like 5W40 or what not....but if it works it works right?? lol

I thought I saw a sneak peak on the new PRI charging handle and it looked a little goofy...so yeah...hopefully the new design will be more modern and all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A torture test, and an Mk18/CQBR torture test on top of that? Yeah, you had to know I'd be around eventually, lol.

I hadn't really thought about the timing of the rebate; I guess Federal wants to boost sales during the winter when a lot of the country isn't shooting. On the other hand, here in AZ, this is prime shooting season :D. Even still, offseason or not, it's a great time to stock up.

I wouldn't really say there is much of a difference between steel and brass - at least with Wolf. Shooting suppressed is a filthy business no matter what ammo you use, heh. If there is a difference, it's pretty minor. I never think, "Oh, I've been shooting steel, I better clean it more often."

Far as lubes, I prefer grease; it works great and lasts significantly longer between applications. I used to only use Super Lube, but all the talk about PTFE potentially releasing toxic vapors if exposed to enough heat finally sent me looking for a non-PTFE grease. After searching a bit, CV2 seemed to have the best stats (although it might be a little thick for extremely cold climates). I've been using it for a while and so far, so good - used it down to a little below 30 degrees and no issues. CherryBalmz is good stuff as well, and noticeably slicker; but, applying it every 300-500 makes that little bottle run out fast. If you're not shooting suppressed, CB is pretty cost effective; unsuppressed it can easily go 2k between applications, and it should be thin enough for just about any climate.

Yeah, I think the Gas Buster is pretty hard to beat out of the box for gas redirection. I'm looking forward to checking out the new ambi Gas Buster that PRI is supposed to be releasing. It'd be nice to have the features of a GB, but with a slightly more modern (and hopefully more robust) design.

Well, part of my EXPS3 is nearly black... but that's just from shooting suppressed ;p.

The RC is doing good - other than the chunk that came out at around 1k, it's been holding up great. I've been slightly more gentle with it, but it seems to have settled into gradual and predictable erosion at this point.

Here is 2,500:

Here is the most recent at 2,800:

You can still make out where the chunk popped out, but it's smoothed out considerably.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Enough to buy a second in FDE.  I might shoot it twice a year though, too much other stuff in the rotation.  Im okay at mag changes and malfunction drills but it wouldn't be my first choice for a fight.
View Quote
It certainly looks like a goofy rig but I know there are some unique things about it. SBR OAL with a longer barrel, right? How much did that run?
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well, part of my EXPS3 is nearly black... but that's just from shooting suppressed ;p.

The RC is doing good - other than the chunk that came out at around 1k, it's been holding up great. I've been slightly more gentle with it, but it seems to have settled into gradual and predictable erosion at this point.

Here is 2,500:
http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.010819.RC.Baffle.2492-RS-01.jpg

Here is the most recent at 2,800:
http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.011319.RC.Baffle.2828-RS-01.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.011319.RC.Baffle.2828-RS-03.jpg

You can still make out where the chunk popped out, but it's smoothed out considerably.
View Quote
Certainly looks like it is wearing more evenly as opposed to before. For a military grade/tested piece of equipment, that thing should be rock solid for a long while. How much is the dB rating reduced once that first baffle blows out?
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey all, I plan to head to the outdoor range tomorrow and do a few drills all the while continuing to test the MK18 Block II along with some other equipment & ammunition. I'm up for ideas you guys have but the MK18 testing continues in which I will run the rifle until malfunctions are consistent and/or lubrication is needed. The rifle to date has not been cleaned, is in excess of 500 round (I know....not that high), and has only been ran in the cold weather.

Some things to note...

-I'll continue to keep an eye on the EOTech "zero shift" issues. I believe the optic was zeroed in the mid 40s.
-Testing of Wolf WPA steel cased
-Testing of 2x SureFeed E2 mags
-Testing of Magpul Gen 3 FDE window mag

So, what you guys thinking? I can say for certainty these weapons can handle quite the beating from the elements but I'm eager to see how this MK18 continues to run.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Truth be told I usually have a C-bag for luggage anyway. (Pro travel tip:  if airlines lose military luggage, they have 72 hours to get it to its final destination, even if that's halfway across the world.  They *REALLY* dislike paying for that kind of postage, especially when military luggage can tend to be over the 70-pound "limit", so they make *DAMN* sure that stuff doesn't get lost) By having that C-bag with me as well as an obvious weapon case, it looks like just another traveling military member (and BWI is always *FULL* of military travelers).  There's an occasional glance but nothing serious.

I damn sure don't travel in uniform, even on orders....but I have no qualms using the bag to ensure my stuff doesn't get messed with too much, and always gets where it needs to without hassle.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't seem like that bad of a process then, is it? I'm sure you feel people eyeballing you down when walking in though.
Truth be told I usually have a C-bag for luggage anyway. (Pro travel tip:  if airlines lose military luggage, they have 72 hours to get it to its final destination, even if that's halfway across the world.  They *REALLY* dislike paying for that kind of postage, especially when military luggage can tend to be over the 70-pound "limit", so they make *DAMN* sure that stuff doesn't get lost) By having that C-bag with me as well as an obvious weapon case, it looks like just another traveling military member (and BWI is always *FULL* of military travelers).  There's an occasional glance but nothing serious.

I damn sure don't travel in uniform, even on orders....but I have no qualms using the bag to ensure my stuff doesn't get messed with too much, and always gets where it needs to without hassle.  
great advice, never thought of it that way!
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here's a 3 mag, mag dump (suppressed) of Wolf steel with the PWS. After I tossed it in the water in the previously posted video, I just relubed.

Basically what I'm doing with this gun is running 2k rounds of Wolf steel through it before I clean it. At that point it will be about 8-9k (99% suppressed) rounds since the bolts been wiped down. The gun is boringly reliable. I'd probably not clean it all if it weren't the fact that the carrier has so much sludge on it that it kicks that stuff onto my face if I shoot the gun alot in a day. Also, the carrier has a hard time stripping the first round off a full mag too. Otherwise, it just keeps chugging.

MAG DUMPS
View Quote
I recognize that beard, it matches my EOTech Reticle.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top