Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2020 11:28:24 AM EDT
Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to the AR platform. I am hooked

I have been shooting rifle off and on for 40+ years.

I have two AR's complete and one in progress.

The two that I am shooting have similar collapsible stocks. One is the S&W M&P-15 factory stock and the other is from Palmetto.

They are both fine shooting from the bench but as I have started shooting them offhand I am having trouble with the stocks.

The butt of a well fitting rifle stock has always nestled into the hollow between my clavicle and shoulder joint. Not with these two. I  start out OK but after a few rounds the butt "walks" out onto the shoulder joint causing me to stop and adjust my hold.

Needless to say,  my offhand targets are embarrassing......

Has anyone else run into this?  How did you resolve it?  New hold/technique or new stock?

Thanks.

S.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It'll become second nature however you need to really pull that weapon in tight but not so tight where you trimble a bit. It'll likely improve your accuracy too. Some folks go with just the bottom corner planted but I prefer as much surface contact as is available.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
A negative cant and rubber buttpad do wonders for me.

Check out VLTOR stocks.

Eta: Couple of IMODs in the EE now:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#3]
One more on the rubber butt pad, or skaters tape, or anything really to improve the "grip" of the stock against your shirt/jacket/whatever.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone here would want to be accused of not helping you spend your money...

So I'll throw out that unless you are regularly collapsing and expanding the stock, consider replacing with a fixed length like the MOE fixed carbine length,  or if you want longer the Ace ARFX skeleton style stock, or the Hogue fixed rifle length stock.  Note  that these last 2 require the stock, a rifle buffer tube and a rifle buffer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Body bladed more beside the rifle or squared up behind it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eye-gor:
One more on the rubber butt pad, or skaters tape, or anything really to improve the "grip" of the stock against your shirt/jacket/whatever.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone here would want to be accused of not helping you spend your money... 

So I'll throw out that unless you are regularly collapsing and expanding the stock, consider replacing with a fixed length like the MOE fixed carbine length,  or if you want longer the Ace ARFX skeleton style stock, or the Hogue fixed rifle length stock.  Note  that these last 2 require the stock, a rifle buffer tube and a rifle buffer.
View Quote

I will give that a try.  

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
You’re just using a waffle stock, right OP? No rubber butt pad?

Attachment Attached File

Cause if thats the case literally anything will be better. Just grab a $20 Magpul off EE and you’re good to go.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By leftytheking:
You’re just using a waffle stock, right OP? No rubber butt pad?

Cause if thats the case literally anything will be better. Just grab a $20 Magpul off EE and you’re good to go.
View Quote

I have the adjustable stocks that came on the PSA and the S&W. Neither one has a rubber butt pad.

Not sure what EE is or which Magpul you are referring to. I think that the PSA may have come with an entry level Magpul stock.

I have ordered a butt pad and am going to give that a try.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By PNW_Steve:

I have the adjustable stocks that came on the PSA and the S&W. Neither one has a rubber butt pad.

Not sure what EE is or which Magpul you are referring to. I think that the PSA may have come with an entry level Magpul stock.

I have ordered a butt pad and am going to give that a try.
View Quote

EE (EQUIPMENT EXCHANGE)

If your kit came with a Magpul stock is should have a rubber pad.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Body bladed more beside the rifle or squared up behind it?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

View Quote

Not sure about  "bladed" but I do put support side foot forward.

Regarding the stock: No butt pad on either.  I have ordered one to try out.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered a butt pad and it turned out to be pretty hard rubber. I may try attaching a recoil pad like I would put on a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I  did that, bought a Pachmayr D752B Decelerator recoil pad as it seemed to best match the butt of my AR10, and just glued it on.
That was 5 years ago, and have had zero issues with it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#13]
There are a multitude of slip on rubber pads available for basic waffle stocks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Watch the EE I bought a Magpul moe the other day for $19 and looked like it was never used. Deals are out there.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top