Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2021 10:09:20 AM EDT
Hi, I am trying to figure out,

why rifle length buffer tubes (or A5 over M4 ) are supposed to make for a better / more reliable package

isn't the overall travel distance of the buffer and weight (give or take H1-3 and so on) supposed to be the same?

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I do not know different lengths but in industry if you want to measure pressure at the output of a pipe the closer to the outlet the better.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, all of the buffers travel the same length.  The A5 guys rabidly defend it.  The military uses both rifle length and carbine length on even 20" bbls, so the carbine length is good enough for combat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Rifle is seen as more reliable and easier on parts because of the gas system, not the buffer system.

If you match the weight of a rifle buffer in a carbine buffer tube (H2 or H3) with a rifle gas system, it will be 100% the same, functionally.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Rifle is seen as more reliable and easier on parts because of the gas system, not the buffer system.

If you match the weight of a rifle buffer in a carbine buffer tube (H2 or H3) with a rifle gas system, it will be 100% the same, functionally.
View Quote

Army forbids the use of the H2 buffer w/ 20" bbls, requires an H6 buffer instead - likely for anti-bounce under 3-rnd burst.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the clarification!
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rifle is seen as more reliable and easier on parts because of the gas system, not the buffer system.

View Quote

. . . . and carbine spring . . . .
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The springs are different. A rifle buffer or A5 buffer uses a longer spring that doesn't compress as much as a carbine buffer's carbine spring.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#9]
An A2 stock is also quite a bit heavier than an M4 stock.

I had a 16” 7.62x39 upper I ran on a lower with an M4 stock & H3 (5oz) buffer for years.
Then switched to an A2 stock & std. rifle buffer (5oz) and the felt recoil was slightly softer.
Later I switched over to an ACE A2 skeleton stock which is much closer to an M4 in terms of weight, still felt less recoil.

The rifle springs I’ve seen seem a bit softer than std. carbine springs, actually much closer to a Sprinco yellow.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 5:15:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The amount of travel is the same, but the rifle buffer spring is longer than the carbine buffer spring.

It has more turns of coils in it and a different rate of pressure per inch.

If the same type of spring wire is made longer with additional coils, its rate of pressure per inch decreases.

If a spring is shortened by removing coils, its rate of pressure per inch increases.

I do not know if the spring wires are exactly the same, but the rifle buffer spring is longer, with more coils than the carbine buffer spring and the wires do look similar in size.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top