Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2019 5:22:01 PM EDT
Been searching a few threads for AR Assembly Tool kits.

I currently have:

Lower Vice Block
Upper Vice Block
Tapco Multi_Tool (Barrel lug/Castle Nut wrench/etc..)

Looking for recommendations on Roll Pin Set Punches, Front Takedown Pin set lug, and anything else folks think would be helpful.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have these. Bolt Catch. Roll Pin Punch Set
View Quote
I would add a 1/4" clevis pin as well for the front pivot pin install.  Less than $2 at lowes or HD.

Easy Install AR Takedown Pivot Pin w/ a Clevis Pin Trick!
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]
As posted above.   A clevis pin.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a set of these.  Cheaper than the Knipex brand.  I use them to press in gas block roll pins. I haven't tried them for trigger guards or bolt catches

Amazon Product
  • IRWIN VISE-GRIP pliers feature a durable nickel-chromium steel construction
  • ProTouch grips provide extra comfort and help reduce hand fatigue while using the IRWIN pliers
  • A smooth jaw is ideal for delicate surfaces, such as chrome and PVC

I also have a set of these, which have worked well.

Amazon Product
  • Start bolt catch roll pin easily with starter punch
  • Finish installation flush with the finishing punch
  • Flat on one side for proper alignment

I also have a BEV Block.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input everyone.  Now I just need to order my BufferTube/Stock and Hogue Grip and I should be ready to assemble.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Basic tools:
1/4" Clevis Pin from local hardware store - to install front detent.
Vise
Scrap 2x4 for upper receiver vise block
Scrap 2x4 for barrel vise block
Relatively small hammer
Cheap flat punch set (roll pin punch sets are just more convenient, not necessary)
Barrel wrench
Castle nut wrench
Needle nose pliers are handy to help hold/start some roll pins
Crescent wrench for installing flash hider/muzzle device
Allen wrench, preferably a set (used for installing grip and some handguards)
Torque wrench is ideal, but not absolutely required (you can buy, use once and return). If you build a lot, buy one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a big fan of Wheeler products, and while these blocks might not be essential, I find them very useful for lots of gunsmithing tasks. There are lots of places you can buy these - here are the Primary Arms links just for reference:

Wheeler AR Armorer's Bench Block

Wheeler Universal Bench Block
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 12:56:43 AM EDT
[#8]
My son in law gave me these for Christmas maybe 14 years ago just to use on everyday use. They really work well on pushing roll pins in.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-2pc-Self-Adjusting-Auto-Locking-Pliers-10-in-Home-Repair-Tongue-and-Groove-Pliers-with/999957733?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-lia-_-218-_-pliersandwrenches-_-999957733-_-0&store_code=2231&cm_mmc=src-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-tools-_-MHLIA%20_TOL_Tools_Low%20Priority-_--_-0-_-0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2e7hh7nF5AIVCtbACh2ZXwuTEAYYCCABEgLvAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Most of the things you acquire comes in handy sooner or later for all kinds of mechanical repairs
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 1:27:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Upper vise block
Magpul bev block
Hammerhead rifle tool
Barrel nut wrench for torque wrench
Wheeler roll pin set w/ starters

That hammerhead tool is the shit. Love the 4 engagement points on the castle nut wrench
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#10]
12" Channel lock pliers
10" Vise gips
A small diameter punch set(mostly for lining things up, or setting a pin that last little bit)
Electrical tape (to wrap the wrench jaws)
Masking tape (to protect the receiver)
center punch or dull chisel to stake things
hammer
spanner wrench
Blocks if you want to build the upper
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a set of these.  Cheaper than the Knipex brand.  I use them to press in gas block roll pins. I haven't tried them for trigger guards or bolt catches
View Quote
I've had good luck w/ the above using 12" chanell-locks.  Just be sure to tape the jaws and keep the trigger guard properly positioned between the tabs.  Keep the jaws adjusted as close to parallel as possible.  I've had good luck using a vise grip on the bolt catch.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Headspace and the tools that deal with it are what scares me, i just have a hard time grasping how /why needed, yet i don't see them listed here?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Headspace and the tools that deal with it are what scares me, i just have a hard time grasping how /why needed, yet i don't see them listed here?
View Quote
I always check headspace.
I have seen to many Go gauge fails with various bolt/barrel combinations to let it slide.
The headspace range is set in conjunction with ammo case specs by SAAMI here in the US.
In theory if headspace is in spec any ammo that is also in spec should function in your weapon.
A weapon can fail the Go gauge to a point, but with the tolerance most ammo seems to hold the shooter may never see a problem.
The further out of range the headspace is the more likely a shooter will see unexplained malfunctions.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top