Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2018 6:12:13 PM EDT
Took the AR-9 below to the range today to zero my new Sig Romeo optic. Got it zeroed with supersonic ammo first then switched to subsonic. It shot really low with the subs, to the point I had to adjust the optic 50 clicks up at about 20 yards.

Is this normal?  Anybody ever go back and forth between super and sub and have to make these adjustments?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Not necessarily apples to apples, but my P226 shoots to the sights at 25yds with "normal" 115gr ammo, but shooting my pussycat 147gr reloads at a match they hit about 4" low at those distances.
Bottom line is yes I'd say thats normal.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Zero it with 124 grain?
That's what I do.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not necessarily apples to apples, but my P226 shoots to the sights at 25yds with "normal" 115gr ammo, but shooting my pussycat 147gr reloads at a match they hit about 4" low at those distances.
Bottom line is yes I'd say thats normal.
View Quote
Good to know. Thank you. I’d say it was about 4”.

I already had to crank it up with the height over bore of that optic. Was surprised there was that big a difference.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Zero it with 124 grain?
That's what I do.
View Quote
It was 115. Should have used 124 or 147 now that you mention it. The subs were 158. I knew the difference but didn’t think the POI would be that much different.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#5]
4" at 20 yards doesn't seem excessive. Keep in mind a 158 sub is like lobbing a brick.

Easy solution is to zero your supers at the top (lollipop) of the dot and then your supers will be approx. 2" below the dot @ 20 yards (assuming 40 MOA dot). Easy enough to compensate for. Or, since you're not boarding hijacked freighters at night, just zero for your HD/range ammo and kentucky windage your subs as you giggle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It was 115. Should have used 124 or 147 now that you mention it. The subs were 158. I knew the difference but didn’t think the POI would be that much different.
View Quote
115 is at the extreme light end of commonly available 9mm loads (although hand loaders sometimes load 90 or 85 grain 9mm bullets made for .380).

158 grn is at the extreme heavy end, to the point that many gun enthusiasts are not even aware of the Fiocci 158 grn commercial load, and think 147 is the heaviest available factory ammo (although 180 grain 9mm loads are possible with hand-loading; I've done it).

The velocity variation is extreme between 115 and 158.  Your findings are not surprising.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Something with a 6-9 MOA dot, because let’s be honest, it’s a 9mm.

Or, one of the Holosun circle-dot micros. Zero with the center dot using supersonic ammo, and then figure a hold between the dot and bottom notch with the subsonic stuff.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top