Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#1]
anyone who doesn't say KAC has either never used them, or is lying to you
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Just get the list of "top flip-up iron sites" from Alexa or Gool or DuckGo, and then buy the most expensive item and the 2nd most expensive item, then try them out, sell the one you like the least, sell it here on EE.

People make buying things too complicated.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Magpul Pro are my go-to.

I’m sure KAC are very nice as well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
anyone who doesn't say KAC has either never used them, or is lying to you
View Quote

The KAC cult really needs to give it a rest.

A couple problems with KAC BUIS.  

1.) The rear sight tower flips down too easily with almost no pressure.

2.) The rear sight aperture is not protected at all, if it takes an impact it takes it direct on the rear aperture and can deform it.

3.) Does not have a larger ghost aperture for low light / close in shooting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:23:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use Troy.  I grind off the larger of the two apertures with a dremel.  After zeroing I epoxy the aperture in place.
View Quote

This is a really oddly expensive way to make a BUIS single-use when you can, you know, just disassemble the sight and flip the aperture around the other way.  

If you actually want BUIS and you're not lacking room for them due to more important equipment, just slap some MBUS on there and be done with it.  It's not worth spending $250 on a set of sights you will rarely, if ever, use.   If the side deployment tabs on the front sight interfere with your light mount, just cut off the offending tab.

It's one thing to say price isn't an issue, but at the end of the day you can still get a set of MBUS and a serviceable light, couple of slings, or a pile of mags for the cost of 1 fancy set of BUIS.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Anybody know what BUIS are on this AR?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Midwest Industries make great irons.  Aero Precision makes pretty good flip-ups as well.  I also have Magpul MBUS on a few rifles as well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I have several sets of Troy sights and for years that is all I used but recently got a set of Midwest Industries sights and really prefer them over the Troy sights.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 4:17:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

3.) Does not have a larger ghost aperture for low light / close in shooting.
View Quote

The 300m sights have a pop out insert that you can remove if you want the larger aperture.

KAC are really lightweight and compact, I like the ones I have but have a bunch of troys, from when they were the only game in town, and they work good also.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Magpul MBUS on my BCM carbine with an A2 FSB and Aero Precision BUIS on my all Aero build. Great quality for the price, but currently out of stock from my preferred vendors.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-flip-up-sight-set

I’m still pondering the options for my latest build, I’ll probably give Troy a try since they offer the HK style front sight.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AR-15:  What is recommended for flip-up irons?  Price not an issue.  Must be standard height so that my absolute co-witness works.
View Quote

If price is no object, get the most expensive ones you can find.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Been pretty happy with my Mbus Pros.

I also have an ARMS #40, Matech, UTG, and 3 CCH's in the pile.

Sorry, I have no need for a $250 set of Buis. On my most recent builds, I'm going to be attempting to forego buis altogether with an LPVO and offset Aimpoint micro.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a KAC 600m rear, MBUS2 polymer rear, and a set of MBUS Pros with the LR rear. The KAC is cool and that’s about the only reason I keep it.

Quite frankly the MBUS2 rear is impressive. It’s riding on a well used duty rifle with zero issues. I know when I deploy the MBUS2 it will still be zeroed right where I left it. One hell of a value considering it’s a $50 sight.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I have owned the following BUIS:

Troy
ARMS
Larue
LMT
Midwest Industries
Yankee Hill
Magpul
Magpul Pro
GG&G
KAC
DD

Hands down, KAC is the best.....the ARMS were very well made as were the Troys....least favorite were the Magpul's
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Troy or if you want something expensive and German ERA-TAC.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The 300m sights have a pop out insert that you can remove if you want the larger aperture.

KAC are really lightweight and compact, I like the ones I have but have a bunch of troys, from when they were the only game in town, and they work good also.
View Quote

While the KAC micro rear sight is really, really good, the MBUS Pro has one advantage I like:

It has two separate apertures.  The small one is hinged on a cross pin, that allows you a choice without having to "pop" the small aperture out.

If you do want a true ghost ring you can tap out that little cross pin and remove it and the small aperture.  Put them in a little zip lock bag in your range or bug out kit.  

On my HD carbine I did just tbat.  The big aperture is just the right size for "quick and dirty" use at HD low light use with a weapon light.  With the pin and small aperture removed its great for backup at close range if my primary (red dot) should fail.   As a ghost ring, it looks like this (red dot removed for these photos):

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]
KAC are my favorites, and I still like my old Troys (but wouldn't give them money now).

Midwest Industries are probably my favorite bang for the buck BUIS, and like them better than Magpul.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
If price is no object....just get the most expensive one that are available!!! JK

I won't own / have / use polymer aka plastic BUIS!  I am NOT a former Marine but "Mr. Murphy" likes me way too much for plastic BUIS, they would get broken!
I also don't have / use locking BUIS for the same reasons......they will get broken.
I do have and use:
KAC
ARMS
Midwest Ind (really starting to like them)
MAGPUL PROs

Just my opinions!
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#19]
As I noted above.....

KAC's are very good, but cant find them....

I just ordered a set of Troy's from Brownells for my MK18

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#20]
What did Troy do that no one wants to use them. Sorry for the question, but haven’t been participating in Internet forums so unaware of intent chatter.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If price is no object....just get the most expensive one that are available!!! JK

I won't own / have / use polymer aka plastic BUIS!  I am NOT a former Marine but "Mr. Murphy" likes me way too much for plastic BUIS, they would get broken!
I also don't have / use locking BUIS for the same reasons......they will get broken.
I do have and use:
KAC
ARMS
Midwest Ind (really starting to like them)
MAGPUL PROs

Just my opinions!
View Quote

Magpul is starting to doubt plastic sights, as they are now offering metal ones, or at least the rear.

Have MI sights on every rifle, even my 10/22, and just received a set of their Combat Flip-Ups for my Macon AR45, like those also  
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Magpul is starting to doubt plastic sights, as they are now offering metal ones, or at least the rear.

Have MI sights on every rifle, even my 10/22, and just received a set of their Combat Flip-Ups for my Macon AR45, like those also  
View Quote
Lol, they have a new Gen-3 plastic model due out any day which looks like an improvement over the former Gen-2's.  So I doubt your doubt is correct.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#23]
It has taken me a long time to settle on BUIS, but in the end I only need them to do a few things... Be durable enough for what I intend to do with them, NOT lock in either the up or down position, be small and out of the way. The Magpul PROs pass those requirements. I thought hard about how important having a ranging elevation adjustment was on the rear sight and I just don't think it's necessary for a set of emergency use back up sights... Just zero them at 50 yards and forget about them is probably as much use as they will ever get, so I went with the standard Magpul PRO rear sight over the LR version.

I'd go with the PROs on the Beretta ARXs too if it weren't for the fact that the front sight tends to fold itself when firing that particular rifle.

In a world where ACOGs and Aimpoints are my primary sights, things will have to have gotten really bad for me to end up needing to use the BUIS and I could probably get away with not having them at all really. Though I'm the "it's better to have them and not need them" type and at least the PROs don't break the bank... That is unless you need about 10 sets of them all at once.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lol, they have a new Gen-3 plastic model due out any day which looks like an improvement over the former Gen-2's.  So I doubt your doubt is correct.
View Quote

Steel !!
Magpul STEEL front sight
Magpul STEEL rear sight
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#25]
MBUS Pro.  Solidly click into place both open and closed.  Low profile closed but visible when needed.  I really like the fine front post.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  I don't think Magpul doubts their poly sights.  Their are uber rugged and function well.  They are giving us choices.  The metal sights are slimmer and not as high when folded.  The Gen 3 polys affirm their continuing commitment to improving what is a proven product.  While I now run the MBUS Pros in my ARs, I still have a set of the polys stashed away.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm surprise one on has mentioned Samson.
I have sets of sights from just about every manufacture out there that is quality.
I have the Samson's on an LMT build and they look like quality to me for a reasonable price compared to KAC which are excellent but$$$$.
-
Richard
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Magpul pros are my go to

They are solid and prices pretty well I can’t imagine what more expensive sights have to offer over them
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I like fixed sights, even with a red dot. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#30]
A few years back the TUOR multi-axis sights would have been my choice, I snagged a set from my go to rifle, but I think they are out of production now. I like them b/c they can be straight on, or canted 45
degrees left or right.

Here's an article from 2015 on TFB about them: TUOR sights

But as they aren't available I'd go for an Ultradyne C4 using the barrel mounted front sight with one of their mussel devices.  But if you want a can then I'd go with the rail mounted option.

Then KAK Folding Micro Rear, with an HK style front sight, either Troy or Midwest Industries.  If you can't tell I like the circle in circle concept, I find it easier to align than AR style ears on the front post.

On that thought I'd next put Diamond Head, b/c similar concept and execution.

Finally last but not least I'd put MAGPUL's MBUIS Pro, for ease of use, but I would love it if they had a HK style front sight hood.

And that's just my 2 cents on the topic.  Have fun shopping.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Everybody around here creams their pants for MBUS plastics and anything expensive the Marines even considered using.

I just bought a second set of these: https://extreemtactical.com/utg-mnt-957-mnt-757-accu-sync-spring-loaded-ar15-flip-up-front-rear-sight-set/

Good price too.
View Quote

Op...waste your money on these if you're so inclined. But they are garbage. I bought two sets. When I installed them I found that anything more than finger tight...and they would not spring open as advertised.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Mbus Pros.  Love em, very low profile.
View Quote

I like these too.   They work well and look decent too.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I wonder if Spikes is still selling their branded sights.  I have a couple sets, they are nice but the price sucks.

MBUS Pro
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seriously. How did you come up with this? Magpul released the metal sites in 2013 and are now releasing their third Gen plastic sights.

There was a drop test done a few years ago we’re almost every metal sight either bent, cracked, or broke. The plastic Magpul sights were largely unaffected due to being polymer. Get whatever sight you want to get. But to say that Magpul is doubting their polymer sites is simply fabricated information.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#35]
My most recent set was Troy with the HK style front sight.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The Magpuls are pretty common but I prefer the Troy Battlesights.
View Quote

Troys lock in making them a drop liability.

Magpul Pro or KAC micros
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top