BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/17/2020 11:01:33 PM EDT
AR-15:  What is recommended for flip-up irons?  Price not an issue.  Must be standard height so that my absolute co-witness works.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The Magpuls are pretty common but I prefer the Troy Battlesights.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll stick with Magpul for reasons. They are fine for back ups
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Mbus Pros.  Love em, very low profile.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Everybody around here creams their pants for MBUS plastics and anything expensive the Marines even considered using.

I just bought a second set of these: https://extreemtactical.com/utg-mnt-957-mnt-757-accu-sync-spring-loaded-ar15-flip-up-front-rear-sight-set/

Good price too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Pricy, by KAC Micros are the top.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I like spikes and griffin
Rainier makes a nice set, but damn expensive
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:47:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I use Troy.  I grind off the larger of the two apertures with a dremel.  After zeroing I epoxy the aperture in place.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Troy Diamond.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#10]
KAC micros and Diamonheads are my go-to.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the Troy rear as it can be used with the large aperture in position and the magpul pro steel front sight, best in breed.    Magpul pro rear sight is great if you want small aperture deployed first.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#12]
From what I have seen it seems like folks have gotten away from backups and just run good optical sights. Or go full blown irons.

Too each there own.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Ultradyne C4

Uses an unconventional "dual peep" sight picture, the front sight is another small aperture rather than a traditional post.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Troy DOA is my favorite ‘cost is no object’ flipup. All metal, easy to deploy & use.

But I run a lot more Fab Defense flipups, way cheaper & no tool required to adjust the front post.

I don’t own one, but the GG&G MAD ranging flipups are really nice to use too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I know we should hate Troy, but I like their BUIS because they lock in the up position, and are all around sturdy.  As a bonus, I think they are aesthetically pleasing compared to some of the other options out there.

If I wasn't worried about BUIS locking in the deployed position, I would probably go with Mapul Pros.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Troy and Diamondhead were compared to the polymer Magpul folding sights for durability - drop tests.  The Troy and Diamondhead performed poorly, bending and losing point of impact.  Only the Magpul retained POI, not even losing one MOA, although it did have some cosmetic damage.

The reason was less that it was polymer than that it does NOT lock when deployed, but collapses when struck hard, deflecting rather than absorbing the impact.

Photo attached.  The Troy sight bears the Spikes logo.

KAC folding sights and the Magpul Pros also deflect.

So, in order of priority I recommend.

1.  KAC Micro (if you can afford them)
2.  Magpul MBUS Pro (almost as good, and less pricey)
3.  Magpul poly MBUS

The KAC and MBUS Pro also come in versions that can be adjusted for elevation.  I can't envision needing to use iron sights beyond 250 yards, so I just use the fixed elevation versions and set for a "battle zero".

I run Magpul MBUS Pros on my Recce build and the simple poly MBUS rear on my HD carbine (with A2 fixed front sight).  I have no brand loyalty to Magpul or KAC or any other company.  I have no political prejudice against Troy.  I do believe that backup sights that lock when deployed can be easily damaged if dropped on a hard surface.

After this drop test, the tester then began slamming the Magpul sight mounted carbine onto the concrete, sight down, directly impacting it. Swinging the rifle overhead and down like a maul.  The Magpul sight received some more cosmetic damage, but still functioned reliably and still held original POI to within one MOA.

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know we should hate Troy, but I like their BUIS because they lock in the up position, and are all around sturdy.  As a bonus, I think they are aesthetically pleasing compared to some of the other options out there.

If I wasn't worried about BUIS locking in the deployed position, I would probably go with Mapul Pros.
View Quote

I prefer BUIS that don't lock in case they get bumped.
I'd rather have it fold than bend or break.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#18]
--------------
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#20]
MBUS Pro; Troy; Diamondhead. Whichever I find on sale.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have owned and used the following:

KAC
Magpul poly
Magpul metal (Pro)
Troy
ARMS
YHM

By far the best are the KAC, but if I had to standardize I would go with the Troy....for the price, these are the best, IMO

But I will have to give the nod to the ARMS, very well made, I liked the quick, spring release on the sight

Now I am using fixed BUIS only on rifles with an EOTECH or AIMPOINT

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Magpul... regular MBUS if I can get away with it (cheaper and do like deployment), MBUS Pro if needed (mainly the front for piston gas blocks).

I do have a set of offset MBUS Pros for an 18” build, and I do like them. But it is a decent chunk of change... at that point, a 45° adapter and red dot might be just as cost effective/better buy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Everybody around here creams their pants for MBUS plastics and anything expensive the Marines even considered using.

I just bought a second set of these: https://extreemtactical.com/utg-mnt-957-mnt-757-accu-sync-spring-loaded-ar15-flip-up-front-rear-sight-set/

Good price too.
View Quote

I bought two sets too. They sucked.

One set wouldn't deploy properly from the down position after a ride to the range in the trunk...and the other set would not hold zero.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#24]
KAC
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Anything made in USA.

Magpul plastics work for me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This...if price isn't a factor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...if price isn't a factor.

I'm in this boat.  KAC Micros are the bees knees.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Troy and Diamondhead were compared to the polymer Magpul folding sights for durability - drop tests.  The Troy and Diamondhead performed poorly, bending and losing point of impact.  Only the Magpul retained POI, not even losing one MOA, although it did have some cosmetic damage.

The reason was less that it was polymer than that it does NOT lock when deployed, but collapses when struck hard, deflecting rather than absorbing the impact.

Photo attached.  The Troy sight bears the Spikes logo.

KAC folding sights and the Magpul Pros also deflect.

So, in order of priority I recommend.

1.  KAC Micro (if you can afford them)
2.  Magpul MBUS Pro (almost as good, and less pricey)
3.  Magpul poly MBUS

The KAC and MBUS Pro also come in versions that can be adjusted for elevation.  I can't envision needing to use iron sights beyond 250 yards, so I just use the fixed elevation versions and set for a "battle zero".

I run Magpul MBUS Pros on my Recce build and the simple poly MBUS rear on my HD carbine (with A2 fixed front sight).  I have no brand loyalty to Magpul or KAC or any other company.  I have no political prejudice against Troy.  I do believe that backup sights that lock when deployed can be easily damaged if dropped on a hard surface.

After this drop test, the tester then began slamming the Magpul sight mounted carbine onto the concrete, sight down, directly impacting it. Swinging the rifle overhead and down like a maul.  The Magpul sight received some more cosmetic damage, but still functioned reliably and still held original POI to within one MOA.

https://i.postimg.cc/Lst1C29b/BUISdroptest1.jpg
View Quote

This right here!
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Magpul MBUS Pro are my favorite BUIS.  I've had them, Troy, or MI on everything I use and I prefer the Magpuls.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Good price too.
View Quote

I 2nd this. They came standard on my Saint Edge pistol and at first because their UTG I was worried. The zeroed and held no problem. No breaking and pop right into action. They are stout and UTG Pro products seem very usable.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Magpul Mbus

Magpul Pro

Troy Battlesights

A.R.M.S. BUIS
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#33]
KAC
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#35]
For me......Troy front and rear battle sights.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#36]
LWRC
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#37]
YHMs are pretty nice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I've owned:
GG&G
A.R.M.S.
Magpul
KAC Micro

KAC Micro my favorite.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#39]
kac is the best imo if you can afford them
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#40]
There are ton of solid options out there so get what you like, borrow or test some friends' set ups if you can.

I really like Kriss Low profile flip up, the Fab Defense and magpul MBUIS PRO front sights for the simple fact that you can adjust elevation without tools and they are all solidly built and don't cost an arm and a leg.  
For rear sights you can't go wrong with MBUIS (polymer or pro) KAC and Matech rear sights. That being said nothing is wrong with the mil spec style rear tower especially if you're using a A2 length barrel.

I generally prefer a HK style hood myself to help with the natural centering and want to save up for those slick Ultradyne C4 set ups because they have all the things but $$. If you can swing it go for it.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#41]
GG&G MAD

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Troy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I ended up with GG&G irons based on reviews and comparison of features for the price. Rear was  GG&G A2 (non-spring actuated) for $104 and a #1023 front flip up for dovetailed gas blocks for an incredible $38 off Amazon. They mount securely, and seem to be very well built, if a bit heavy. Front is 3.2 oz.  Rear is 1.8 oz.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#44]
KAC micros
Troy
Daniel Defense
Magpul
Matech
ARMS
all are great BUIS and I am happy with all of them,but none of them ever get used
I think magpul is probably the most practical cost/utility and KAC being the coolest and nicest
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Ultradyne C2 sight set.  Extremely nice finish and well made...in USA too!!  Put a set on my wife's AR and she loves them.  I just got a second set for mine yesterday.  Easy to sight in and I love the unique front sight post design.  Makes aiming easier than a traditional sight post in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#46]
I am trying the Griffin Armament M2's.......
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Troy.
View Quote

Do we still hate Troy?
I've got a metric fuckton of Troy sights.  Great product but haven't given them any money in quite a few years.  KAC & Magpul Pros look nice but dammit I really like my Troy flip up sights.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#48]
KAC micro
Spikes micro
Rainier Arms "back up iron sights"
A.R.M.S. Inc.
LWRC Skirmish sights
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Magpuls are pretty common but I prefer the Troy Battlesights.
View Quote

This.

Troy Battlesights 4 the win!
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#50]
KAC
2nd favorite is Troy.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top