Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2022 11:22:32 AM EDT
I traded into a S&W AR-10 a few day ago. My first one.  
It has a Mag-pul rear stock on it.
The stock is too long for me even at minimum setting.
I’d like to change it out to a carbine type stock so length can be adjusted better for me.
Gun presently has a rifle length buffer tube.
Does the AR10 use the same tube as an AR15? Can I just swap it out? I have a carbine tube for an AR15 that I can use.
Yes I know I will need a new buffer and spring. Just trying to save a few $.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#1]
There are two different lengths of receiver extensions for collapsible stock .308 ARs. One type is longer than the 5.56 version, and uses a 5.56 sized buffer, with a .308 specific spring (this is what your S&W has from the factory). The other style uses a standard 5.56 style receiver extension, a shorter .308 buffer, and a .308 specific spring.   So, yes, you can swap your factory  receiver extension with a standard 5.56 style one, and use a short .308 buffer with your factory. 308 spring.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Install a standard carbine buffer tube, a special short buffer meant for this combo, and a standard length carbine spring.  
oops, forgot about the shorter spring, I had to cut about 2" free lingth off my Tubb's flat wire 308 spring to get it to work.
That was in 2009, so memory slipped a little

You are better off with one of Slash;s heavy buffers, and possibly a heavier spring.
Then you can use any standard collapsible stock you like.

I highly suggest a Magpul stock so you can add one of these: Cushy but pad.

I used a Pachmayr to mine many years ago, but a lot more work than just 2 screws, and cost more
Just went to a Magpul ACS when these come out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I traded into a S&W AR-10 a few day ago. My first one.  
It has a Mag-pul rear stock on it.
The stock is too long for me even at minimum setting.
I’d like to change it out to a carbine type stock so length can be adjusted better for me.
Gun presently has a rifle length buffer tube.
Does the AR10 use the same tube as an AR15? Can I just swap it out? I have a carbine tube for an AR15 that I can use.
Yes I know I will need a new buffer and spring. Just trying to save a few $.
View Quote

Simple way would be to just buy a buffer tube kit
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
You should get together with this guy: M&P 10 buffer/spring
Take your buffer and spring out. Measure the inside depth of your receiver extension and the length of your buffer. Check to see if they used a ~2" spacer in the bottom of the RE.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top