Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2020 2:33:09 PM EDT
I am a newb to building ARs. Just finished my 556 build this week. My buddy was so impressed, he decided to build his own 6.5 creedmoor, which moves it up to the AR-10 platform. He ordered this upper from Bear Creek Arsenal...

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/6-5-creedmoor-20-parkerized-socom-barrel-1-8-twist-rifle-length-gas-system-side-charging-upper

I’ve been having issues finding the correct lower. According to Bear Creek’s rep, it should be a DPMS gen 1 lower to be compatible. I would like like to build the lower with him to teach him how to do it, however, budget is an issue. He only has between $250 to $300 left to spend on it at the moment. So if I can find the proper lower that is already complete for that, then it’s not an issue.

Any information, or recommendations as where to look or what to get would be wonderful! Links are even better lol.

I found one, but it doesn’t say gen 1 anywhere...

https://www.surplusammo.com/products/aero-precision-308-m5-complete-lower-receiver-with-m4-collapsing-stock-dpms-cut.html

Thanks for any insight!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the forum, you may have better luck asking in the "AR Variants" section.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome.
Look carefully when addressing ARs in 308 - there are two main platforms (and others with smaller in receiver sizes)
- AR10 based on Armalite
- AR308 based on DPMS (and you have two upper choices in the receiver: High or Low which affects the front HG choice as well)
I went with the DMPS style - regarding the upper, seems the older High is more common.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WSAR15:
Welcome.
Look carefully when addressing ARs in 308 - there are two main platforms (and others with smaller in receiver sizes)
- AR10 based on Armalite 
- AR308 based on DPMS (and you have two upper choices in the receiver: High or Low which affects the front HG choice as well)
I went with the DMPS style - regarding the upper, seems the older High is more common.
View Quote

Looks like he ordered a complete upper so it will already having matching high or low rails. It will only be an issue in the future if he orders a new rail.

OP, if you order a "dpms" compatible lower, or it says dpms gen 1  then you should be gtg. Just a warning about bear creek, they are hit or miss it seems with accuracy. If they are miss, it might still be salvageable, the rifle may need to be broken-in or have burrs in the finished product that need to be addressed...

Just looked at the SAA link, you are looking at a Aero M5 lower... it says in the description DPMS spec... You are GTG with that, Aero makes good stuff. The BCA upper is your only worry but it should work with nothing more than cosmetic issues ie....loose/tight fit, superficial gaps, cosmetic lines.... but it should work.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top