Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2021 10:42:35 AM EDT
I'm building my first AR-10 to use for range and hunting. It will be .308. Any recommendations on triggers? Will a trigger for an AR-15 work or an AR-10?

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a G2S in mine.  No regrets.

There is no real standard for the AR-10.  It is 'likely' an AR15 trigger will work, but sometimes, as in PSA things, you might need some mods for it to fit.  I don't know if the larger framed variants take special parts, but someone will be along soon and let you know.

In my case, I had to take a few thousandths off the top of the sear for the hammer to clear and allow the bolt to cycle.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#2]
The FCG is the same.  I had to the same as the previous poster on an AR-15 so that is not a problem related to it being in an AR-10/LR-.308
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I run a G2S in one and a SSA in another, I can't tell the difference between the two.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Same trigger as AR15. I have Geiselle SSA triggers in my AR15 but for my AR10 hunting rifle, i decided to just start with a milspec trigger and honestly, don't see any reason to upgrade because for taking single shots, it doesn't matter
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Hiperfire or Timney.  But a Franklin binary is fun in a Heat sort of way.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I usually use a Rock River Arms National Match 2 Stage Trigger on all my builds (AR-15 223/5.56) including my 308 (AR-10) build. Now a days there are a lot more options with comparable prices. Search this forum and Google around, you'll find a lot of trigger options. Many like the LaRue Tactical trigger which is actually budget friendly too.

Here's a link to AR-15/AR-10 parts compatibility.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely check out the LaRue MBT2S

I still have Geisseles (can't go wrong, and no questions asked replacements if they break), but all new builds have the LaRue.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Lot of great options. I used a LaRue MBT-2S in my last .308 build, but I have also used Rock River and I put a Ruger in my Ruger SR762 and it was very nice for the price.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Best budget option

Larue mbt for $87
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best budget option

Larue mbt for $87
View Quote

This above ^^^^

I think Primary Arms has the G2S on sale now.

I have never had good luck with RRA triggers for long term reliability
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#11]
ALG-ACT is my favorite budget option.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#12]
most higher end geisselles dont work and can cause misfires..

i tried a ssp in my aero and it would double fire  on occasion. my sd3g works , but i think it may fail if i ride it
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

i tried a ssp in my aero and it would double fire  on occasion. my sd3g works , but i think it may fail if i ride it
View Quote

Can you give some specifics? Don't work? Causes miss fires?
I can bump fire my POF in my LR308 and it happens routinely from the bench, especially after shooting a stock trigger gun.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#14]
its the way the carrier cut has a channel on the bottom and doesnt engage the hammer correctly as the bcg is larger.

if i didnt release the trigger i could get multiple firings off a single pull.

its why geiselle wont say they work. since the ar15 is a smaller frame, standard mil specs work as they still keep hammer mass
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Geissele SSA-E works perfect in my LR308 (2A Armament Xanthos receiver set).
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

They work fine.

You Identified the issue for you.  You are shooting a gas gun like a bolt gun and doubling.  With short reset triggers you can get bump fires, this especially shows up with AR10s because of the greater recoil.

It won't happen if you aren't on the bench unless you are really sloppy.  

The 3G triggers have a crazy short reset and there are even warnings about using them on the bench.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
The FCG (fire control group) has the same internal dim's on both platforms...I like DITG's (drop in trigger groups) like
Timney or POF versions and have not not seen any real problems with them other than some models may have some
trouble igniting hard military/surplus primers...

I have seen some DITG's advertised on sale as low as $79.99, with good single stage ~ 4 lbs. trigger pull weights...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like DITG's (drop in trigger groups) like
Timney or POF versions and have not not seen any real problems with them other than some models may have some
trouble igniting hard military/surplus primers...
View Quote

In the real world, Very few don't have problems with surplus Nato primers.
A lot of them claim they will light off Mil Surplus, like the Elftmann, but they won't.
Have been running around with the Elf 308 trigger they offer, and getting no where....

One that will is the Velocity 'Steel Case' trigger, designed from the ground up to set the hard primer stuff off.
Velocity Steel Cased AR Trigger

I have even had other manufactures tell me this, and what I may go to, after I'm done with Elf.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#19]
SSA-E in mine and soon in the two I'm building
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the Geissele SSA-E in all my 308 AR's. If you want to save some money the LaRue MBT is a viable alternative though not as nice as the SSA-E.But a half the price hard to pass up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#21]
My SSA-E would occasionally bump/double in my Aero M5 build, MBT has worked fine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I have been looking at the rise armament line after watching them show up on a couple of review lists as performing over their price point a bit. Anyone have any experience with the RA 434 or another trigger from RA?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Geissele National Match in my Armalite AR-10 SASS and an Armalite 2 stage National Match (came out of an AR-15] in my Armalite AR-10 carbine.  Planning on eventually putting a Geissele SSA-E in the carbine.

Can’t speak for all large frame AR’s but Armalites will hold any standard AR-15 trigger.  I’ve tried several.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top