Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/20/2018 12:28:57 PM EDT
I got the handguards in from New Zealand (that were discussed in the BRN-10 update thread), and I think they look great.  He sent them with a customs declaration of what they are, and their true value.  Customs let them right through, and there was no import duty. They are the EXACT length and outside dimensions of an original.  They do not have the holes drilled in them, and they do not have internal heat shields. I will post more photos when I correct that, and send them off to John Thomas for proper painting.  I purchased the last two he had - one for each of my back ordered BRN-10's ($355 for the pair with shipping).  One of the great things about using these, is that no front cap, and no handguard lock ring is required.  I asked him to let me know when he has more in stock, and I asked about a possible group purchase. I will let you know when he replies to my questions. Below are photos of the two and their package, and one next to an original.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I got the handguards in from New Zealand (that were discussed in the BRN-10 update thread), and I think they look great.  He sent them with a customs declaration of what they are, and their true value.  Customs let them right through, and there was no import duty. They are the EXACT length and outside dimensions of an original.  They do not have the holes drilled in them, and they do not have internal heat shields. I will post more photos when I correct that, and send them off to John Thomas for proper painting.  I purchased the last two he had - one for each of my back ordered BRN-10's ($355 for the pair with shipping).  One of the great things about using these, is that no front cap, and no handguard lock ring is required.  I asked him to let me know when he has more in stock, and I asked about a possible group purchase. I will let you know when he replies to my questions. Below are photos of the two and their package, and one next to an original.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432342/IMG_2337-581765.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432342/IMG_2338-581766.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432342/IMG_2339-581767.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432342/IMG_2340-581768.JPG
View Quote
This is going to be huge.

Maybe not Space Force huge.

I am really looking forward to seeing these completed.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks great ! Let us know if they fit a modern ar10
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks great ! Let us know if they fit a modern ar10
View Quote
If for some reason they don't fit a modern AR10, they will definately fit prototype AR15 builds, as I have already test fit them to one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
They look great. Any concerns about the lack of heat shields?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
My opinion is that they are for display or very light use.
I bought one these HGs a few years ago when they were first available (at a higher price).  It was quickly passed along/
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have already figured out how to install heat shields in these two samples, and I am working with the manufacturer to see if he can install them during production, or send them unassembled to make it easier for me to install heat shields if he can't/won't do it.  I think the heat shields are important for .308 but probably not so important for .223 (how many people have built prototype AR15 clones using NDS hand guards with no heat shields, and I have not heard of anyone having problems). He said that he is about two months out on more production.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#7]
WOW !! What a find.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have already figured out how to install heat shields in these two samples, and I am working with the manufacturer to see if he can install them during production, or send them unassembled to make it easier for me to install heat shields if he can't/won't do it.  I think the heat shields are important for .308 but probably not so important for .223 (how many people have built prototype AR15 clones using NDS hand guards with no heat shields, and I have not heard of anyone having problems). He said that he is about two months out on more production.
View Quote
Before he puts the ends on, install and epoxy in a thin aluminum tube wrapped in ceramic tape.  I can't see why he wouldn't do this.  Of course it's gonna drive the price up as well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]
This reminds me of an idea I had for the Brownells handguards when the BRN-10 drops. I believe they already said they would not have heat shields and that is one thing that doesn't quite sit well with me. My idea makes use of some stuff that my Dad got to make miniature corrugated tin roofs for model buildings back when we went to train shows more than gun shows (one ended up overshadowing the other ). The idea is to make corrugated aluminum heat shields from aluminum soda cans using this thing he got from a craft store that was originally intended for corrugating paper, but it never seemed to notice that aluminum cans aren't made of paper. My biggest two unknowns are where the tool is (it's been about 15 years since we last used it) and how to secure the heat shields in the handguard. I think the second will have to wait till I see the actual handguards in person, but I'm hoping there might be internal strengthening ribs that might make decent anchor points, if not, I'll likely figure something out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#10]
As one that has used the old NDS handguards on prototypes, these look great! On a two piece set I used A2 heat shields and re-drilled them to match the prototype holes. On a set that was bonded and filled into a one piece, I did not use any heat shields.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top