Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2020 4:12:28 PM EDT
Building a AP M5 based 16" carbine.  Looking for a trigger suggestion.  I don't view this as some uber "sniper rifle", but everyday/go to rifle.  I've never been one to spend a lot of money on specialized triggers, but have used RRA two stage in a number of rifles (MK12 Mod 1 for example) as well as Giessle ACT single stage.  I like both.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely check out the LaRue MBT-2S

Excellent trigger at an excellent price.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used Timney and CMC triggers in AR10 sized rifles with great success. They are my go to triggers in most of my ARs when I want best performance. It is an area where I do adhere to the buy once cry once approach. That, and I just flat out like the triggers and the way they work for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
LaRue MBT-2S is the easy choice.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I run the Larue or the CMT flat in all my AR style rifles
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback so far.  I really like the sounds of the LaRue MBT-2S as an "upgrade" without going the $240+ approach.  Only hesitation I have is the trigger pull "too light"?  I read one comparison that mentioned 2.5 lbs TP which seems low.  I have a mix of RRA NM two-stage and ALG ACT (single stage).
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

I run a lot of Geissele SSA-E's, they are my go-to trigger.
View Quote

Same for me.  Great trigger.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]
SSA-E felt like sex to me. But that is one expensive hooker to fingerbang.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By NukeThemTillTheyGlow:
Thanks for the feedback so far.  I really like the sounds of the LaRue MBT-2S as an "upgrade" without going the $240+ approach.  Only hesitation I have is the trigger pull "too light"?  I read one comparison that mentioned 2.5 lbs TP which seems low.  I have a mix of RRA NM two-stage and ALG ACT (single stage).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Thanks for the feedback so far.  I really like the sounds of the LaRue MBT-2S as an "upgrade" without going the $240+ approach.  Only hesitation I have is the trigger pull "too light"?  I read one comparison that mentioned 2.5 lbs TP which seems low.  I have a mix of RRA NM two-stage and ALG ACT (single stage).

Per the website it's actually a 4.5lb pull overall:
The MBT-2S breaks crisply at 4.5 lbs (2.5 lb first stage, 2 lb second stage) and has a smooth and positive reset. Each trigger comes with an additional "heavy" trigger spring that increases the pull weight to 6 lbs.

I'm used to heavy triggers, so I'd probably have more issues than most with an overly light pull - I've found it great with the standard spring. Was thinking about using the heavy spring, as a 16" 308 kicks a lot more than 5.56 and I didn't want to accidentally fire a second shot by accident - but after testing it slow fire and rapid fire, has not been an issue at all.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm used to heavy triggers, so I'd probably have more issues than most with an overly light pull - I've found it great with the standard spring. Was thinking about using the heavy spring, as a 16" 308 kicks a lot more than 5.56 and I didn't want to accidentally fire a second shot by accident - but after testing it slow fire and rapid fire, has not been an issue at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback so far.  I really like the sounds of the LaRue MBT-2S as an "upgrade" without going the $240+ approach.  Only hesitation I have is the trigger pull "too light"?  I read one comparison that mentioned 2.5 lbs TP which seems low.  I have a mix of RRA NM two-stage and ALG ACT (single stage).

The MBT-2S breaks crisply at 4.5 lbs (2.5 lb first stage, 2 lb second stage) and has a smooth and positive reset. Each trigger comes with an additional "heavy" trigger spring that increases the pull weight to 6 lbs.

Are you a mind reader?  Your comments in red above are exactly what I was over thinking.  And since my reply later I did take a second look on the LT site and saw the breakdown of the trigger pull weights.  The ability to add the 6 lb spring is just icing on the cake.  I'm sold.  But need to call LT to order and see if I can get a trigger added to my backordered mount order from a month ago.  starting to piss me off with no status updates.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Whatever you go with, there will be good sales on triggers with Memorial Day coming up.

I've never had a problem with accidental second shots with a 4-4.5 lb trigger on my .308, FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Just put a G2S in my M5 build.  I think it’s like my 7th G trigger.  In any case, it’s become the standard for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]
 Only hesitation I have is the trigger pull "too light"?  I read one comparison that mentioned 2.5 lbs TP which seems low.  I have a mix of RRA NM two-stage and ALG ACT (single stage).
View Quote

I put a MBT in my PA10 about 6 months ago.  It is night and day from the factory trigger.  I was concerned about it being to light also.  I have a Remington 700PSS with a 2 to 2.5 pound trigger and it is nothing like the MBT.  The two stages of the MBT make it work great.  Also there is two spring options with the MBT so you can put the heavier spring in to get a slightly heavier pull.  I didn't need to heavier spring.  Good luck with your choice.  David
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I love the La Rue MBT-2s straight bow in my Grendel, at 2lb for the first stage and 1.5lb for the second it's perfect. I'm planing on picking one up for my .308 as well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Are you a mind reader?  Your comments in red above are exactly what I was over thinking.  And since my reply later I did take a second look on the LT site and saw the breakdown of the trigger pull weights.  The ability to add the 6 lb spring is just icing on the cake.  I'm sold.  But need to call LT to order and see if I can get a trigger added to my backordered mount order from a month ago.  starting to piss me off with no status updates.
View Quote

Excellent, glad I covered some of your concerns. And if you're adding to an order, and don't already have a pistol grip you like - LaRue's APEG is a really nice grip and is only $10 - like the MBT, it's a nice solution for precision shooting or close range blasting. Had one on my 5.56 and 308 ARs - beats the A2 and the various Magpuls I've tried.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the Hyperfire Heavy Gunner. Insanely smooth single-stage (ZERO "grit"), pretty standard design. I have it on my 16" CQB gun (308win). Trigger weight is heavy enough for comfort.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Excellent, glad I covered some of your concerns. And if you're adding to an order, and don't already have a pistol grip you like - LaRue's APEG is a really nice grip and is only $10 - like the MBT, it's a nice solution for precision shooting or close range blasting. Had one on my 5.56 and 308 ARs - beats the A2 and the various Magpuls I've tried.
View Quote

I have the APEGs on ALL of my precision guns. Best formed grip out there.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#18]
La Rue or if you have the money AR gold....amazing triggers
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top