Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2018 12:42:20 PM EDT
About to build a AR Pistol and want to go ambi this time on the lower. The mag release I can deal with the Norgon Ambi Mag release. But in my testing the Bolt Release ALSO needs to be ambidextrous.

I am not a lefty but i shoot pistols right or left handed but when it comes to Long guns I feel more comfortable and hit better left handed.

SO.

What are my options??

Lowers that are ambi or bash it together like so.  I have though about the Aero Precision PDQ ambi bolt release but have heard some bad things about wear over time.  
PDQ will require lower modification and I am fine with that BUT need to see other options.

I do not have a lower at this time so I am open to hear all options.

Thank again for you guys time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
i would be very certain on what the right side bolt catch does, as alot of ambi lowers will have a button for bolt release, but the same button cannot work to catch. the only two ambi lowers I am aware of that has the bolt feature on the right that can hold the bolt open and release are lwrc, ascend armory, and american defense. I personally like the AD but all of them are too pricey for what they are.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
KAC or ADAC lower seems decent. I'm shoot lefty but my preferred setup is just a Geissele bolt catch, Troy mag release, KEArms ambi selector. Interested in what you decide on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like the ambi mag and bolt release on the PWS ambi lowers, but as warned above, it the right side bolt release can't hold the bolt open.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#4]
LMT MARS stripped lower. You're welcome.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Radian ADAC.  Superb!
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Phase 5 ambi bolt release is what i use its awesome
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Isn't there a mod that you just Dremel through the right side of the lower, and you install an ambi-bolt catch that goes all the way through?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't there a mod that you just Dremel through the right side of the lower, and you install an ambi-bolt catch that goes all the way through?
View Quote
Yes I do believe you are talking about the Aero Precision PDQ. Basically you extend the Existing Bolt Catch slot all the way across the receiver and then installs like normal Bolt Catch. Aero Makes a lower with the cut and the PDQ bolt installed. Supposedly very easy. BUT I have heard of issues.

Keep it coming Fellas.

I don't mind it being a Release ONLY. BUT can you use a regular bolt catch or a Geissele  Maritime Bolt Catch with it on the other side.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't mind it being a Release ONLY. BUT can you use a regular bolt catch or a Geissele  Maritime Bolt Catch with it on the other side.
View Quote
With the right side release only, I think you can use any left side bolt catch.  These are gonna be Rainier, Seekins, Mega, CMT,  San Tan, PWS, and others.

With the right side bolt catch, I'm not sure.  Best I can tell you can't swap the left side bolt catch on the ADM, could be wrong.  Other RSBC lowers include LMT MARS-L, LWRC, Ascend Armory, POF Gen 4, and technically the Radian lower.  I don't like the way the Radian or POF bolt catches work.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like I might not start that build after all.

I'll check back later!!

Thanks Guys.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#11]
LWRC or LMT would be my first choice both have bolt catch and release on the right side. POF gen4 have the release on the right side and the catch inside the trigger guard.

The stripped LMT mars lower as suggested above will be less expensive. I believe it comes with the ambi mag release, ambi safety, and proprietary bolt catch/release installed and everything else is a standard lpk. They are under $250.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I just use a BAD lever myself.

Easy to bump with the thumb after sticking a fresh mag in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 for a BAD lever.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Copy/Paste + some from a comment I've made previously:

If I remember correctly the Radian has a right side bolt release but in order to lock the bolt, you also need to depress the magazine release. I think I'd like the two functions to remain separate.

I have used the LWRC ambi (which is similar to the LMT MARS-L, Ascend Armory) and the POF Gen 4. I have not used the Aero/anything with the PDQ installed.

The ADM right side bolt catch--which I will start to refer to as RSBC--is in my opinion the easiest to operate with the trigger finger. In my opinion the flaw of it is that you can feel the RSBC "catch" once as the carrier passes and a second time once the bolt passes. It can be remedied by practicing, and pulling the charging handle like a big boy. Also I think the RSBC is integrated with the left side and I'm pretty sure I cannot replace the tennis racket sized left paddle with a Geissele Maritime, ruining my dreams of #Geisseleallthethings

The mirrored ping pong paddle RSBC of the LWRC and the like does feel more "natural" if you're trying to just use a mirrored manual of arms.  I didn't get enough time to say with confidence if it's better or worse than anything else.

I did NOT like the POF mostly on principle, because it requires sticking your finger in the trigger guard for a purpose other than pulling the trigger. Still, easy enough to operate without breaking your grip.

The PDQ looks like an affordable option but requires permanent modification to the lower, looks big in pictures, and I've read some reports that the pressure from the dust cover can cause occasional malfunctions.

As others have mentioned there are lowers labeled "ambi" that only drop the bolt from the right, not catch.  Rainier, Seekins, San Tan, CMT, PWS, to name a few.  I had a Rainier before I upgraded to the ADM.

I like to "hear myself talk" so hit me up if you've got questions.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The PDQ looks like an affordable option but requires permanent modification to the lower, looks big in pictures, and I've read some reports that the pressure from the dust cover can cause occasional malfunctions.
View Quote
I use the PDQ's extensively.  Yes, the dust cover does fight the PDQ and would sometimes not allow the BHO to engage on the last round.  
I just grind on the PDQ so that doesn't happen and apply some cold blue and havent had any issues since.
Below are some pics on my 9mm CMMG Guard lower.
I really like them.  I don't think they are too big at all.  I also like how it is all one piece of metal....Just your standard BHO extended to the other side.  I think early ones may have been welded together but all the ones I have seem to be one piece.
I also have an AXTS lower (Radian predecessor) but agree that mag release should be separated from BHO functionality.

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for that! I do like that the PDQ allows for anti-walk pins and enlarged mag releases, both limitations of the ADM.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I have KAC, LWRC, and LMT Mars...LWRC and the LMT both have bolt catch and release on right side.

Plus LMT matches HK416 upper very nice especially with the flared magwells.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#18]
i'm a lefty and briefly had an LWRC rifle. the lower was truly ambi, and i regret selling it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i'm a lefty and briefly had an LWRC rifle. the lower was truly ambi, and i regret selling it.
View Quote
Lots of options out there to buy stripped ones. Ascend Armory, ADM, LMT all come to mind.  Definitely a premium over a basic bitch Anderson but I don't think I can go back.

For those of you that have been using ambi lowers for a while now, do you have just a little bit of trouble going back to standard lowers?  I went from my ADM lower to a buddy's Ruger and at first grab tried to use my right index finger to lock the bolt.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Radian was the original full ambi, Adac feature is gold, best ambi lower IMO, LMT MARS a close second due to LMTs reputation for quality (I do not own one; but I own several AXTS/Radian lowers).
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like I am going to order a PWS AR pistol next week.

I was looking into the piston systems. I kinda like it. Well see.

Couldn't even find a PDQ in stock anywhere. If anybody knows where I can find one let me know, I will order it and have Boogers lower machined for it and get him a Norgan Mag release also.

Film at 11..
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#22]
LMT or KAC. The only difference between the two is the LMT ambi bolt hold will allow you to lock the bolt back, and release it. the KAC is a release button only. Both excellent choices otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Radian was the original full ambi, Adac feature is gold, best ambi lower IMO, LMT MARS a close second due to LMTs reputation for quality (I do not own one; but I own several AXTS/Radian lowers).
View Quote
This. As a FFL I’ve handled a lot of lowers. The ADAC system is the absolute best. Press the magazine eject button and retract the charging handle and lock the bolt to the rear. Ambidextrous magazine release and bolt release controls. I’ve stripped these lowers for refinishing and the proprietary parts inside are solid.
The only negative about them is how hard it is to get one. You either have to pay the ransom from owners or throw a back order on Brownells and play the waiting game.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I went with the Aero PDQ lower receiver. I also went with a Stag Lefty upper so there is no interaction between the dust cover and the PDQ lever.

Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
About to build a AR Pistol and want to go ambi this time on the lower. The mag release I can deal with the Norgon Ambi Mag release. But in my testing the Bolt Release ALSO needs to be ambidextrous.

I am not a lefty but i shoot pistols right or left handed but when it comes to Long guns I feel more comfortable and hit better left handed.

SO.

What are my options??

Lowers that are ambi or bash it together like so.  I have though about the Aero Precision PDQ ambi bolt release but have heard some bad things about wear over time.  
PDQ will require lower modification and I am fine with that BUT need to see other options.

I do not have a lower at this time so I am open to hear all options.

Thank again for you guys time.
View Quote
I have 2 LWRC's. I find them to be great Ambi lowers as they come complete for around $500. I also have KAC's, and think they're a good step up, but it's gonna cost you $$$. I personally don't find great value in stripped lowers and buying all the lower parts separately. Sure, you can pick some parts you prefer and maybe save a few $$, but I like em complete as long as they're good. Just my opinion and I"m sure they're much more experienced people with some good advice on here as well. Good luck and have fun!
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top