Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2018 1:00:48 PM EDT
I understand the reasoning for keeping the port side clear as possible for malfunctions as well as allowing your support hand to manipulate the lever, but is there really any other reason for the lever to be typically on the non port side?

I like my GDI mounts how the lever is on the port side, so I'm not seeing a reason to change it. Haven't really seen it mounted the other way much, I prefer to keep the latch away from my chest/PC and also clear of the bolt catch side. Anyone else run it this way?

Pic
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You’ll be fine like that.  I’ve used numerous different mounts (including ADM) with the throw lever going either way and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I put all my ADM QD mounts with the lever on the left side facing toward the muzzle/away from me so that I can simply use my offhand (left hand) to remove them without taking a hand off the grip.

I find it far easier to depress the locking mechanism with my thumb and use my forefinger to pull the lever open than the other way 'round. I also find my thumb far stronger and easier for use of closing the levers than my forefinger/fingers.

I have yet to snag anything or notice any jabbing with the latches this way
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my latches/knobs/levers on the right when I can, so they aren’t bumping me or snagging when slung. It’s annoying otherwise, but it’s never caused me any problems.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright, thanks. I'm not use to AD mounts, I just wasn't sure if it actually mattered and couldn't find anything that said otherwise. I like levers on the right, just like the MI and GDI ones I have.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I was trying to install a set of 45 degree offset irons on my 14.5 inch build with a Steiner P4Xi in MI QD mount with latches on the port side.  Wouldn’t work. . The latches wouldn’t allow the irons to be mounted.

For this reason, I’ll be sticking with Larue’s LT204 with qd latches on the left side.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was trying to install a set of 45 degree offset irons on my 14.5 inch build with a Steiner P4Xi in MI QD mount with latches on the port side.  Wouldn’t work. . The latches wouldn’t allow the irons to be mounted.

For this reason, I’ll be sticking with Larue’s LT204 with qd latches on the left side.
View Quote
Port is left looking from stern (chamber) to bow (muzzle).
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Port is left looking from stern (chamber) to bow (muzzle).
View Quote
Port is left until someone uses port as shorthand for "ejection port"

As for the ADM mount, the latches really don't stick out that far. I've kept all my latches, if possible, on the left side of the firearm. Never had any big issues with them bumping or catching against my gear
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was trying to install a set of 45 degree offset irons on my 14.5 inch build with a Steiner P4Xi in MI QD mount with latches on the port right hand side while viewed from the rear.
side.  Wouldn’t work. . The latches wouldn’t allow the irons to be mounted.

View Quote
My bad.  I used port side to indicate ejection port side for a right hand upper.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:10:39 AM EDT
[#9]
My QD mounted offset mini-reflex needed to have the lever on the right (ejection port) side to clear the scope.  ADM's reversible lever design was just what I needed.

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems pretty easy to wrap my support hand around the optic and release the lever with my thumb and index finger, the way I have it oriented. I have it on there pretty tight too. Yeah, I know, going against the grain here.

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Seems pretty easy to wrap my support hand around the optic and release the lever with my thumb and index finger, the way I have it oriented. I have it on there pretty tight too. Yeah, I know, going against the grain here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pidnjkxfon42le9/IMG_20181208_192916.jpg?raw=1
View Quote
If anything, I would just rotate the lever so it goes the other way and minimizes the possibility of getting caught on stuff
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]
It’s your funeral. Keep port side clear IMHO
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If anything, I would just rotate the lever so it goes the other way and minimizes the possibility of getting caught on stuff
View Quote
I thought about that..but I'd rather be able to grab that optic off easily and quickly with just my support hand. I guess it's a trade off, or maybe I'm just way overthinking this.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I thought about that..but I'd rather be able to grab that optic off easily and quickly with just my support hand. I guess it's a trade off, or maybe I'm just way overthinking this.
View Quote
You should be able to remove the optic with your support hand regardless of which way the lever points. The only real reason to remove the optic on the fly like that would be if the glass breaks and obstructs the shooters vision.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It’s your funeral. Keep port side clear IMHO
View Quote
Larues ACOG mounts for the marines have the levers on the right side (where I prefer them myself).

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, I think I'm going to leave it be at this point. The only other QD I have the lever facing forward is my GG&G holding my Eotech 512. However, it's the only one with the lever on the left side.

I appreciate all the feedback.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#17]
My sparc AR is mounted the same way.

I was thinking someone would have said it wont work because the flag is being flown the wrong way.

I picked up a Recon mount for my 6.5, and the mounts are on the left, so part of me is thinking to switch it on the Sparc, for uniformity....but, on the right its away from straps, and my left wrist isnt 100%, so removal is right handed or both hsnded.
I have a ADM mount on my bipod too, and it's also on the right side.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My sparc AR is mounted the same way.

I was thinking someone would have said it wont work because the flag is being flown the wrong way.

I picked up a Recon mount for my 6.5, and the mounts are on the left, so part of me is thinking to switch it on the Sparc, for uniformity....but, on the right its away from straps, and my left wrist isnt 100%, so removal is right handed or both hsnded.
I have a ADM mount on my bipod too, and it's also on the right side.
View Quote
Lol. Yep, was thinking the same when posting. It works great.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:33:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lol. Yep, was thinking the same when posting. It works great.
View Quote
My theory is under rapid fire, the air will be drawn down range causing a low pressure area, pulling the flag in that direction.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top