Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/14/2022 7:14:58 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with the ADCOR A-556 elite piston rifle or upper. Is it a gimmick or legitimate piston design?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an ADCOR BEAR, which is the early version they came out with, and an Elite.  I love them both.  They're legit piston designs, but like any other piston they use proprietary parts.  You can switch the charging handle to either side or remove it completely if you don't want it.  Whatever side the handle is on will prevent you from using the rail space on that side though.  It's more expensive, but well worth the money.  Customer service was solid when I needed work done.  They took care of all shipping, installed an updated part, and had the rifle back to me all in about three weeks. Here is my Elite:

BEAR:
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I am just kind of stuck on what piston upper I wanna go with. The ADCOR upper is $1,445-1620 depending if you get the cerakote or not. With the caracal 816 A2 upper it’s $1237 shipped taxes included with my military discount. I can snag an HK mr556 upper for ,$1950ish or a POF 415 edge upper in the 1,400 dollar range. Not sure what the best route is.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply. I am just kind of stuck on what piston upper I wanna go with. The ADCOR upper is $1,445-1620 depending if you get the cerakote or not. With the caracal 816 A2 upper it’s $1237 shipped taxes included with my military discount. I can snag an HK mr556 upper for ,$1950ish or a POF 415 edge upper in the 1,400 dollar range. Not sure what the best route is.
View Quote

I'll admit I am biased towards the ADCOR, and I haven't had any experience with the others.  I do kinda like the side charging handle on the front rail.  During a class years ago an aftermarket rear charging handle broke, and I thought I was done.  I realized I had the front charging handle and was able to keep the gun functioning for the rest of the day.  It proved to be a nice backup.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
How is the fit and finish on the ADCOR? Does it feel a step above standard ar fare?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Fit is top notch.  It's really solid and well built.  I'd say finish is top notch, but the charging handle does have a tendency to mar the front where it locks.  If you want I can post a picture of what I'm talking about.  Some people it bothers, others don't mind.  If you like I can also post pictures of the upper disassembled so you can see the internals.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea if you could post some pics that would be great.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Will do.  I won't be able to get them up til Sunday or so as I won't be home until Saturday afternoon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#8]
@TheReaper47 Here are the pictures I mentioned I'll post.  The first one is the charging handle, and in the second one I lift up the handle and you can see the marring where it meets the handguard.  It shows on both my ADCORS, cerakoted or not.  

This third picture is the internals.  It's easy to take apart, and a bullet will get the job done.  The bolt has a polymer dust wiper to keep dust and grit out of the bolt area.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks solid. Do you wish you had gotten the key mod instead of the 1913? I feel like it would be easier to get around the charging handle with the keymod.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#10]
You know, I've always been a 1913 fan, so really didn't consider the keymod with my latest one.  I hadn't thought about how that would affect the side charging handle.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top