Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2022 11:33:55 PM EDT
Is there an A2 upper that has a port for 9mm?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
All of my ar9s I built with normal stripped uppers
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Aero Precision makes a large ejection port "big bore" upper for the .450 .500 size cartridges...

as others have commented, I use a standard upper for my radial delayed upper and NFA lower
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... as others have commented, I use a standard upper for my radial delayed upper...
View Quote

Huh.  IIRC, CMMG specifically recommends and incorporates on their RDB uppers an enlarged vertical dimension ejection port for reliable ejection.  Ammo dependent and CMMG wants to sell a product that will reliably operate with a wide variety of ammo?  CMMG wants the shooter to experience a complete face full of ejection port gas?

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.

ETA: Another thought, perhaps the more complete gas purging from an enlarged ejection port provides reduced contanimation buildup on the RDB bolt and key components, thus providing more cycles of consistent and reliable RDB operation?

ETA: Perhaps the enlarged ejection port on their RDB uppers is like the Cyclops lens crystal on a Rolex watch.  Not only does the Cyclops lens crystal have functional value as it makes the date easier to read, it is also a mark of distinction.  But in doing so, it makes the watch thicker thus has potential for more easily being scratched.  The yin and the yang.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I seem not to be able to find any A2 carry handle upper receivers with enlarged ports. Do any of you running 9mm with a regular receiver port have ejection issues on the spent cartridge?
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I seem not to be able to find any A2 carry handle upper receivers with enlarged ports. Do any of you running 9mm with a regular receiver port have ejection issues on the spent cartridge?
View Quote

My AR-9 is built on a standard upper and has run flawlessly.  You can open up the port on a standard upper if you feel the need, but I do not think it is necessary.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I first built my 10.5" 9mm AR pistol using a DPMS A2 upper and then swapped it out for a more clone correct Fulton Armory 604 upper. I didn't have any issues with either upper.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not at all. 9mm brass is smaller than standard 5.56mm brass. In fact it’s common to make the ejection port even smaller on a 9mm upper by using a gas deflector.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146/4799F18B-3F70-45C5-95F0-BB058432AA79-1447848.jpg
View Quote

I used a very similar setup with a direct blowback 9mm bolt/carrier assembly for almost ten years w/o any issues, and now I've got a couple Gibbz G9 (i.e., small ejection port) uppers with direct blowback 9mm bolt/carrier assemblies.  It's when people talk of CMMG 9mm RDB assemblies that the answer to the ejection port size question is unclear.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Both my 9mm blowback ARs use standard AR uppers.  If there are ejection issues it's because the ejector is out of alignment, which is VERY common for 9mm blowback builds since the ejector is on the lower.

Proper ejector tip alignment relative to the bolt:

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top