Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2020 6:18:29 PM EDT
Hi

Did anyone ever try and remove the triangular hump on the A2 grip, sanding it down to flat ?

I’m not sure it really serves a purpose, it’s not particularly comfortable to split the fingers.

On the other hand I generally prefer to keep my guns stock

I might try it on a spare grip.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The hump was put on the A2 grip to help keep wet hands from slipping off.

Yes you can grind it off or just replace the grip with either an A1 grip or any flavor of aftermarket grip that suits you. If you are wanting to keep the military look, just get an A1 grip or grind the hump off.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi

Did anyone ever try and remove the triangular hump on the A2 grip, sanding it down to flat ?

I’m not sure it really serves a purpose, it’s not particularly comfortable to split the fingers.

On the other hand I generally prefer to keep my guns stock

I might try it on a spare grip.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/390738/AE1297B9-1423-40D0-96DE-488DE7820E86_jpe-1404270.JPG
View Quote

If those are real Delta Elite grips I wouldn't sand them down since they are pretty rare and impossible to replace.

But in general yes, its very easy to sand the bump off or replace with a cheap A1 grip
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Lotta guys lose the nub.

As for info on the A2 grip development.....ARFCOM member ColdBLue (Col. David Lutz) talks about it HERE
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve done it on a few grips and really liked the way it turned out.  

You can grind and polish it pretty smooth and can barely tell you made the modification.  

On a couple of mine I just stippled the front portion of the grip after grinding off the nub, which turned out really nice and grippy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Leave that rifle as is. If you want a different grip get one and store the one you have. They are rare enough not to modify.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#6]
A1 p/g has no bump.

Paladin
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kombatrok:

If those are real Delta Elite grips I wouldn't sand them down since they are pretty rare and impossible to replace.

But in general yes, its very easy to sand the bump off or replace with a cheap A1 grip
View Quote

Thanks. As I said I would do it with a spare grip. And I have 5 A2s, just chose the sexy one for illustration purposes
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:39:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PALADIN-hgwt:
A1 p/g has no bump.

Paladin
View Quote

Colt also made a A1 grip with A2 polymer blend. Rare and expensive item but it exists.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I do it all the time. I dislike the hump with a passion.

Take a cheap $3.00 grip and lightly round it off on a grinder wheel. Go slow or it will get hot and melt. Light rotating passes working on the highest edge a little at a time.

I only remove around 1/2 of the hump most of the time. You'll be amazed at how much more comfortable it is when shooting. You can take it completely off, but care has to be taken not to remove material you don't want to.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#10]
It's not too hard to do.   I even add a hole like an AR18.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
The bump on A2s always bugged me but I have a whole bag of A2s that came from parts kits where I used other grips.

I just put this carbine together a few weeks ago and figured I would use an A2 and chop the bump off. I sawed off most of it, then ground down the rest with a dremel sanding wheel. I then polished it with sandpaper (150, then 200, then 400, then 600 and finally 800.) I finished it with black Alumahyde II.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I sand down the lump on the A2 grips if you lightly go over the plastic sanded area with a torch it remelts and blends the plastic so it's hardly noticeable,go easy tho or you will have a mess.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:22:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I actually like the hump, but I use it "differently". I put my pinky right below the hump, ring finger right above the hump, and middle finger under the triggerguard just in front of the ring finger.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top