Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2021 9:29:02 AM EDT
I'm shopping for an A2 rear sight kit to finish a stripped FN A2 receiver. So far I've found 3 options:

1. Amherst Military Depot
2. Fulton Armory
3. Rock River Arms

Can anyone comment on the quality of the 3, or add any i missed?

I'm not looking for a match grade sight, just something quality that looks authentic.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Compass Lake

Just noticed you stated non match

I have a RR carry handle with zero issues. That’s all I got.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Compass Lake

Just noticed you stated non match

I have a RR carry handle with zero issues. That’s all I got.
View Quote

RR's carry handles are solid.

I'm going for authenticity for this build. If i could find a USGI A2 sight assembly still in the wrap that would be best, but those seem to be less common than the NIW A1 sight assemblies.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#3]
RRA is the best currently available.  It has a dimple to help with windage mark indexing which isn't 100% accurate to USGI, but it's a nice improvement none the less.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I found a few in the EE for &30 each a few months back.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm shopping for an A2 rear sight kit to finish a stripped FN A2 receiver. So far I've found 3 options:

1. Amherst Military Depot
2. Fulton Armory
3. Rock River Arms

Can anyone comment on the quality of the 3, or add any i missed?

I'm not looking for a match grade sight, just something quality that looks authentic.
View Quote
I am happy with the one I just got from Fulton Armory. Looks good, fit good and already assembled minus putting it on the upper.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up one from mwg on two different occasions.

They seem to go in and out of stock. I thought the DPMS assembly was discontinued but they seem to keep coming back in stock every so often. Last one I got was last month.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/60719

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I know arfcom hates it, but my recent A2 build I used the rear sight from a RRA detachable carry handle and it worked great. I'm not using it past 200yrds so there's plenty of adjustability for what I need.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am happy with the one I just got from Fulton Armory. Looks good, fit good and already assembled minus putting it on the upper.
View Quote

I ended up going with the one from Fulton Armory as well since i they had a couple more parts I needed for my build. It also has the dimple near the windage knob like the Rock River kit.

Installation was not bad. The $10 sight tool from Brownell's was well worth the cost. I'm not sure how i would have gotten the roll pin in without it
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I ended up going with the one from Fulton Armory as well since i they had a couple more parts I needed for my build. It also has the dimple near the windage knob like the Rock River kit.

Installation was not bad. The $10 sight tool from Brownell's was well worth the cost. I'm sure how i would have gotten the roll pin in without it
View Quote

Yeah I have done two and sure wish I had the sight tool. I never found it that cheap and just struggled and with 4 hands got it to work without the tool. May buy one just to have. Just in case
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah I have done two and sure wish I had the sight tool. I never found it that cheap and just struggled and with 4 hands got it to work without the tool. May buy one just to have. Just in case
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Installation was not bad. The $10 sight tool from Brownell's was well worth the cost. I'm sure how i would have gotten the roll pin in without it

It's pretty easy to install without a sight tool. Just get a large punch that is just smaller than the spring/hole. While compressing the spring with the punch, drive in the pin just enough to catch the first edge of the spring. Then remove the punch and drive in the pin until your at the other edge of the spring. Now take a really small punch and compress the other edge of the spring while hammering the pin home.

I've installed all of my A2 sights this way and have never found it difficult at all.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's pretty easy to install without a sight tool. Just get a large punch that is just smaller than the spring/hole. While compressing the spring with the punch, drive in the pin just enough to catch the first edge of the spring. Then remove the punch and drive in the pin until your at the other edge of the spring. Now take a really small punch and compress the other edge of the spring while hammering the pin home.

I've installed all of my A2 sights this way and have never found it difficult at all.
View Quote

+1
Pretty much what I did. Held the spring down with a punch and had my wife tap in the pin while I held it. Took all of a few seconds
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Installation was not bad. The $10 sight tool from Brownell's was well worth the cost. I'm not sure how i would have gotten the roll pin in without it
View Quote

I went with the RRA match sight kit.  I didn't know about the special tool and absolutely mangled the spring installing the roll pin.  I installed the sight with the charging handle in place, so I didn't notice it.

I made a tool out of an old philips screw driver.  I cut off the tip and used a cut off wheel to make a slot in it.  I did not want to wait for a tool to ship.

Brownells has a video on this if you need to have a look.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:03:35 AM EDT
[#13]
made a cut in a USGI rod section for the pin to go through.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1
Pretty much what I did. Held the spring down with a punch and had my wife tap in the pin while I held it. Took all of a few seconds
View Quote

I took a cheap piece of round bar and cut a slot in it for the roll pin to go through, worked great.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#15]
JT put my A2 sight together, along with the rest of my upper (14.5 pin and weld).  Based on the problems I had doing an A1 sight, I think I made the right choice on that.  
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top