BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2020 5:46:16 PM EDT
Any guess with just this underside photo that would tell if these are USGI Handguards. They are marked DO NOT REMOVE.. I am contemplating buying them. But do not have a photo of the other side yet.Hoping the underside may tell a story.   Someone may grab them before I get more pics if I do not speak up......Thanks

EDIT
Well I bought em. I will just hope for the best when they arrive.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Look like run of the mill mid 90s HGs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Just hope they are not the fat aftermarket ones you see for sale like the PSA ones and such... Already have a set of those,LOL...Thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The markings and the shape of the heat shield look like this set that I bought off the EE a couple years ago which were advertised as Colt. However, this set also matches the handguards that came with the complete surplus FN A2 upper receiver group that I got from Shark last year. The only difference is that the Colt set has the newer matte texture to the plastic, while the FN set is the older shiny plastic. I think that confirms that the military contractors get their parts from many of the same sources.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The markings and the shape of the heat shield look like this set that I bought off the EE a couple years ago which were advertised as Colt. However, this set also matches the handguards that came with the complete surplus FN A2 upper receiver group that I got from Shark last year. The only difference is that the Colt set has the newer matte texture to the plastic, while the FN set is the older shiny plastic. I think that confirms that the military contractors get their parts from many of the same sources.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Colt_M16A2_Handguards_jpg-1534851.JPG
View Quote

I would have to say that you are right on companies sourcing parts from the same place. Here are the handguards that came with my Windham Weaponry A2 barrel kit. It's hard to see in the photo but they have the same heat shield that is stamped "do not remove" they are the same size as GI handguards, unlike the fat PSA handguards that are on my PSA 6.8 A4 upper.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/6/2020 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks

I will post a pic of the other side when they arrive,LOL
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would have to say that you are right on companies sourcing parts from the same place. Here are the handguards that came with my Windham Weaponry A2 barrel kit. It's hard to see in the photo but they have the same heat shield that is stamped "do not remove" they are the same size as GI handguards, unlike the fat PSA handguards that are on my PSA 6.8 A4 upper.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101824/WW_handguards_jpg-1535165.JPG
View Quote

Windham Weaponry and Colt handguards are the exact same... I have a feeling that LMT's A2 handguards are the same too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 11:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The DO NOT REMOVE must be removed if you are running a float-tube under the handguard.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#8]
The heat shields on all GI A2 handguards look like those in the photos above.  Some say "Do Not Remove", and some do not, but that shape is GI.  The heat shields in the PSA oval handguards are much simpler in shape (more of a simple curve the whole length).
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 12:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The heat shields on all GI A2 handguards look like those in the photos above.  Some say "Do Not Remove", and some do not, but that shape is GI.  The heat shields in the PSA oval handguards are much simpler in shape (more of a simple curve the whole length).
View Quote

The early heat shields did not have "Do Not Remove" on them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The early heat shields did not have "Do Not Remove" on them.
View Quote

I have no doubt that change was made because of "that guy."

Here's a quick comparison of my Colt and FN handguards, for whatever it's worth. On the top is the newer Colt handguard I bought off the EE a couple years ago. It has a matte finish to the plastic and very thin "DO NOT REMOVE" lettering on the heat shield. The bottom one came from a complete surplus FN A2 upper receiver group that I got from Shark. The middle one was purchased from the EE a month ago - the seller described it as an unknown brand GI set, but it's an exact match to the FN handguard on the bottom, so I'll consider it to be an FN. The heat shield shape is the same, but note how the stamped "ribs" between each of the vent holes are slightly larger on the two FN handguards, and the "DO NOT REMOVE" lettering is a deeper, more bold font.

Attachment Attached File

Here's the Colt on the left and the FN from the EE on the right. Aside from the matte and smooth textures, note on the Colt how the ribs on either side seem to come up and overlap on top of the longitudinal ribs on either side of the vent holes. That includes the wide rectangular raised "panels" at the front end of the handguard. The FN ribs merge more smoothly into the longitudinal ribs. A very minor difference, but it might be useful in identifying brands of handguards (if there is such a thing). I'd be interested in seeing a shiny Colt handguard set to compare it to the FN. The differences seen here might just be associated with old (shiny) vs. new (matte) production A2 handguards from whatever supplier Colt and FN used.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]
3ACR, it would serve you well to remove the heat shields and compare the underside as well. I've noted at least 3 shades of the darkened strip and even one without any darkening, and a couple differing ways the narrowed section was stamped.

You are probably right about the reason the DNR stamping was added. We were taught to remove the heat shield in boot camp back in the 80s and continued to remove the shields as part of routine cleaning even into the 2000s. The last versions were glued in with heat glue looking stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
3ACR, it would serve you well to remove the heat shields and compare the underside as well. I've noted at least 3 shades of the darkened strip and even one without any darkening, and a couple differing ways the narrowed section was stamped.

You are probably right about the reason the DNR stamping was added. We were taught to remove the heat shield in boot camp back in the 80s and continued to remove the shields as part of routine cleaning even into the 2000s. The last versions were glued in with heat glue looking stuff.
View Quote

What would be the purpose of removing the heat shield? I'm an anal nut bag when it comes to cleaning (when I actually do it, though I rarely do ) but I can't think of any reasons to ever remove the heat shield. That seems to fall in the realm of cleaning the gas tube... Just no good reason to do so and it will possibly cause a problem where there wasn't one before.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Thus the reason for stamping then DO NOT REMOVE.  

I can only imagine how many were misplaced  or damaged.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What would be the purpose of removing the heat shield? I'm an anal nut bag when it comes to cleaning (when I actually do it, though I rarely do ) but I can't think of any reasons to ever remove the heat shield. That seems to fall in the realm of cleaning the gas tube... Just no good reason to do so and it will possibly cause a problem where there wasn't one before.
View Quote

Because we usually had a NCO telling us to remove and clean both sides of the handguards and heat shields. Stuff we did in the military did NOT always make sense but we did as told when cleaning weapons (especially for inspections).

Now if the same NCO that told you to remove the heat shields ever caught you cleaning the gas tube, he would put a foot in your ass.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because we usually had a NCO telling us to remove and clean both sides of the handguards and heat shields. Stuff we did in the military did NOT always make sense but we did as told when cleaning weapons (especially for inspections).

Now if the same NCO that told you to remove the heat shields ever caught you cleaning the gas tube, he would put a foot in your ass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that's just craziness... It's hard to understand the thought behind removing the heat shields for cleaning considering all the years that the A1 rifles were around prior that... And they had riveted in heat shields that were not removable. So how did all of that previous knowledge about the A1 handguards and their lack of needing to be cleaned just evaporate when the A2 came along?
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Now that's just craziness... It's hard to understand the thought behind removing the heat shields for cleaning considering all the years that the A1 rifles were around prior that... And they had riveted in heat shields that were not removable. So how did all of that previous knowledge about the A1 handguards and their lack of needing to be cleaned just evaporate when the A2 came along?
View Quote

It is as Chunpmiester said. In reality I don't remember anyone messing up their heat shields, but I'm sure it probably happened a lot. When you can look into the handguard and see dust and dirt the Warrior of the Triple Chevron gets real prickly, and your life is so much easier the less prickly he is. There are lots of things that the military does that is pretty unnecessary, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It is as Chunpmiester said. In reality I don't remember anyone messing up their heat shields, but I'm sure it probably happened a lot. When you can look into the handguard and see dust and dirt the Warrior of the Triple Chevron gets real prickly, and your life is so much easier the less prickly he is. There are lots of things that the military does that is pretty unnecessary, but it is what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially if the Triple Chevron has three rockers and either a Diamond or star in the middle.  A lot of stuff we did will never make sense to people that have never served in the military.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#18]
When dipshits would drop them in full on thick mud, it would dry behind the shields and drop out in chunks forever. The armory would reject them, and so GI's like just used some vice grips and ripped the shields out to clean. They do NOT go back in.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When dipshits would drop them in full on thick mud, it would dry behind the shields and drop out in chunks forever. The armory would reject them, and so GI's like just used some vice grips and ripped the shields out to clean. They do NOT go back in.
View Quote

Now who the hell would take vice grips to remove a part that will easily come out with a gentle squeeze? Furthermore, what kind of jacked up NCO would even remotely allow that to happen?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Now who the hell would take vice grips to remove a part that will easily come out with a gentle squeeze? Furthermore, what kind of jacked up NCO would even remotely allow that to happen?
View Quote
The same NCO's that are prime examples on why the Army should have kept the Spec 5, Spec 6, and Spec 7 ranks. And yes you are correct in that the shields were easily removed with a gentle squeeze.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#21]
My favorite A2 handguards are the ones that are matte black with the orange peel like texture that have the black darkened heatshields.  Not sure where do get those anymore aside from being lucky on the EE.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Blain, that’s what the Colt set that I posted near the top of the thread looks like. I bought them off the EE a year or so ago, I believe for $40 shipped. They looked new (take offs) when I got them. I figured that’s what recent production Colts look like, so maybe they’re coming from people that bought A4s and switched them out for a RAS.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Blain, that’s what the Colt set that I posted near the top of the thread looks like. I bought them off the EE a year or so ago, I believe for $40 shipped. They looked new (take offs) when I got them. I figured that’s what recent production Colts look like, so maybe they’re coming from people that bought A4s and switched them out for a RAS.
View Quote

Newer Colts have that textured exterior and blacked out shields, both carbine and rifle, IME.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Newer Colts have that textured exterior and blacked out shields, both carbine and rifle, IME.
View Quote

I got a set of Rock Rivers that are that way as well.

I think I might have a rough time line figured out for these differing HGs also.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I have several sets of NOS USGI A2 hand guards, still in the wrap, that I purchased from eBay a few years ago. I can get pictures later to compare with those shown in 3ACR_Scout's post above, but from a quick look, they seem to have a semi-glossy finish and thicker font on the DO NOT REMOVE stamps.

Per the label, they were from a 2001 contract with Cage Code 03YU1 as the manufacturer, whose location is suspiciously close to FN in Columbia.

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have several sets of NOS USGI A2 hand guards, still in the wrap, that I purchased from eBay a few years ago. I can get pictures later to compare with those shown in 3ACR_Scout's post above, but from a quick look, they seem to have a semi-glossy finish and thicker font on the DO NOT REMOVE stamps.

Per the label, they were from a 2001 contract with Cage Code 03YU1 as the manufacturer, whose location is suspiciously close to FN in Columbia.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/03YU1-1548527.jpg

View Quote

That is pretty wild that they are semi-gloss. All my thick font DNR marked HGs are dead flat black. I really do need to get mine out and get them photographed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That is pretty wild that they are semi-gloss. All my thick font DNR marked HGs are dead flat black. I really do need to get mine out and get them photographed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/03YU1-1548527.jpg

You're correct; it's not like the old school semi-gloss. Maybe more matte, but definitely a smoother finish than the hand guards that came on my Colt AR-15A4. The have a powdery substance on them which I wiped off the forward half so you can see the finish a little better.

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You're correct; it's not like the old school semi-gloss. Maybe more matte, but definitely a smoother finish than the hand guards that came on my Colt AR-15A4. The have a powdery substance on them which I wiped off the forward half so you can see the finish a little better.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/1-1548696.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/2-1548697.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/3-1548698.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/4-1548699.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/5-1548700.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/6-1548701.jpg
View Quote

Nice. Those are really close, externally, to what I had on my then newish A2 in 1987. Not exact, but real close.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/1-1548696.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/2-1548697.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/3-1548698.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/4-1548699.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/5-1548700.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/6-1548701.jpg
View Quote

Nice kit there man.

My 2005 M4 guards are identical as far as finish/color/etc. I'd have too check the CAGE markings on the bags.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Colt A2/A4 handguards are available today through Brownells... It's been a while since I've seen them available. > Link.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Colt A2/A4 handguards are available today through Brownells... It's been a while since I've seen them available. > Link.
View Quote

Well those went fast.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I recently received an order from Franklin Armory. They were advertising Rifle Length Hand Guards for $9.99 in their Specials category, so I added a set to my order.  They are not USGI.  The shape, taper, and color look correct, but the material is more of a flexible nylon.  And, the heat shields are black inside and out, and are soft, like the aluminum is not heat treated.  They may be the same as the ones advertised elsewhere as being Bushmaster.  I'll use them as placeholders until I come across some "real" A2s.

(I know...post photos.  I will, when I can free up some memory on my phone)
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I recently received an order from Franklin Armory. They were advertising Rifle Length Hand Guards for $9.99 in their Specials category, so I added a set to my order.  They are not USGI.  The shape, taper, and color look correct, but the material is more of a flexible nylon.  And, the heat shields are black inside and out, and are soft, like the aluminum is not head treated.  They may be the same as the ones advertised elsewhere as being Bushmaster.  I'll use them as placeholders until I come across some "real" A2s.

(I know...post photos.  I will, when I can free up some memory on my phone)
View Quote

Ick, I've seen those... Someone I know bought a cheap 20" A2 barrel kit online somewhere a few years ago and it came with those exact handguards. They were exactly as you described and complete garbage. I told him to replace them with a set of A2 handguards from Windham Weaponry which are great handguards and they're the exact same ones as the ones being sold by Colt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Never heard of heat treating aluminum. Have heard of aging aluminum with mild heat though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Never heard of heat treating aluminum. Have heard of aging aluminum with mild heat though.
View Quote

Precipitation hardening. This involves two steps—solution heat treating and aging.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's two handguards. The one attached to a barrel is on a Capco A2 upper, and they're original to that upper (barrel and upper and all parts came as one). The other is one I got on the EE here, USGI since it came with NSN 1005-01-134-3629 and the usual plastic wrap. Also came with an "under handguard integrated rail", NSN 1005-01-541-2476, still unopened in the wrap.

You can see that the ribs on the Capco stop dead at the top and bottom, whereas on the extra handguards the ribs run over a bit. Also on the Capco, the join in the middle where they meet is thick, and it's thinner on the extra handguards.

The finish looks similar on both, maybe a little bit naturally shinier on the extra handguards. The aluminum shields had the tops painted on the Capco handguards, but they're bare on the extra handguards. Also very thin "DO NOT REMOVE" stamp on the extra handguards. No interior pic of the Capco handguards.

I also have a NOS USGI Colt A2 upper which has very matte handguards, small pivot hole and peel washer. Would post pics but can't get to it right now.

Edit: Looked up the FSCM (19200) which I read somewhere is what we now know as CAGE codes. The extra handguards have FSCM code 19200, which (if it hasn't changed in the switch from designation as FSCM to CAGE) is Picatinny Arsenal in NJ. Very cool because I used to live near there a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#37]
And here's the top of the handguards, showing the ribs intersecting (or not) the top.

Capco:

Extra (EE) handguards:
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Is that bagged set a 94 contract?
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Is that bagged set a 94 contract?
View Quote

I cannot tell at all, don't think the seller knew but also can't find the old ad. Is there some info on the included card with the NSN that would tell me that?

Also, I was thinking of using these to make an older FN upper, would these be the correct type?
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I cannot tell at all, don't think the seller knew but also can't find the old ad. Is there some info on the included card with the NSN that would tell me that?

Also, I was thinking of using these to make an older FN upper, would these be the correct type?
View Quote

There is some way that those labels are supposed to have a date code, or at least the year the contract was let. I don't know exactly how to read them but I've known people that could. And they look just fine for an FN. These hand guards are rather tough to nail down. It would be nice to be able to find out when they started adding the "DNR" stamping.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

There is some way that those labels are supposed to have a date code, or at least the year the contract was let. I don't know exactly how to read them but I've known people that could. And they look just fine for an FN. These hand guards are rather tough to nail down. It would be nice to be able to find out when they started adding the "DNR" stamping.
View Quote
This one? The contract is DAAA09-84-C-0564. I think there used to be some guys around here the could look up the details but the 84 is for 1984. The hand guards I posted above are from a 2001 contract.

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This one? The contract is DAAA09-84-C-0564. I think there used to be some guys around here the could look up the details but the 84 is for 1984. The hand guards I posted above are from a 2001 contract.

https://i.imgur.com/QUVAJbk.jpg
View Quote

IIRC, I think that is the date that particular contract was let. Same as the 01 contract that were made in 04. I never saw the DNR stamp any of the hand guards I had to screw around with from 87-91. Too bad they didn't start dating stuff until later. Magazines seem to have started to be externally date marked in 91. Danged  DOD Just had to make it hard on us collectors and shooters
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I just bought a set of A2 handguards from LMT, I'm interested to see if they're the same ones that are being sold by Colt and Windham Weaponry.

I just had a bit of a disaster ordering 3 sets of Colt A2/A4 handguards from Brownells... They shipped them in only a bubble wrap envelope and all three sets had some amount of damage from clanking around on the way to me. So needless to say I just shipped them back to Brownells for a refund and that's why I'm giving the A2 handguards from LMT a chance.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just hope they are not the fat aftermarket ones you see for sale like the PSA ones and such... Already have a set of those,LOL...Thanks
View Quote
I have a set of those fat bitches in my junk bin.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Well I just received my LMT A2 handguards a couple of days ago, and guess what? They're exactly the same handguards that Colt and Windham Weaponry use, except LMT's packaging is a lot better than Brownells, to ya know, prevent damage and bad stuff from happening during shipping.

The LMT A2 handguards are actually older stock from a couple of years ago because they were literally an exact match to the set of Colt A2/A4 handguards that I got a couple of years ago through Brownells, (I don't think LMT moves them nearly as quickly as Windham Weaponry or Colt).

The 3 sets of Colt handguards that I just received through Brownells and had to send back had some slight differences just because they were newer production, but they were still obviously the same handguards from the same manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for sharing this info guys. I like reading threads like this...there interesting and knowledgeable!
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well I just received my LMT A2 handguards a couple of days ago, and guess what? They're exactly the same handguards that Colt and Windham Weaponry use, except LMT's packaging is a lot better than Brownells, to ya know, prevent damage and bad stuff from happening during shipping.

The LMT A2 handguards are actually older stock from a couple of years ago because they were literally an exact match to the set of Colt A2/A4 handguards that I got a couple of years ago through Brownells, (I don't think LMT moves them nearly as quickly as Windham Weaponry or Colt).

The 3 sets of Colt handguards that I just received through Brownells and had to send back had some slight differences just because they were newer production, but they were still obviously the same handguards from the same manufacturer.
View Quote

Disappointing update on the status of LMT's A2 handguards...

Well, after my good experience with what I received when I ordered the first set of A2 handguards through LMT I went and ordered three more and I just received them this morning.

The handguards I received this go around were not what I expected at all, as all three sets were used surplus with some degree of damage on each set. Even the heat shields showed signs that they had been removed and bent out of shape at some point during their existence. These were nothing like the first set of handguards which I received from LMT about two weeks before I received these 3 sets. The first set was brand new, never used and in perfect condition with no damage. And actually, these 3 surplus sets look more like the FN and other surplus sets being shown off in this thread. They don't resemble Colt's and Windham's A2 hanguards at all... So odd that the first set that I got from LMT was brand new and exactly the same as what Colt and Windham are selling.

There was no mention on the website that these handguards were used surplus and I would have never bought them if I had known that they were in this condition... Especially for new Colt A2/A4 handguard prices.

So, I'm sending these 3 sets back to LMT for a refund... And all my future A2 handguard purchases will be through Windham Weaponry if they ever come back in stock.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well, after my good experience with what I received when I ordered the first set of A2 handguards through LMT I went and ordered three more and I just received them this morning.

The handguards I received this go around were not what I expected at all, as all three sets were used surplus with some degree of damage on each set. Even the heat shields showed signs that they had been removed and bent out of shape at some point during their existence. These were nothing like the first set of handguards which I received from LMT about two weeks before I received these 3 sets. The first set was brand new, never used and in perfect condition with no damage. And actually, these 3 surplus sets look more like the FN and other surplus sets being shown off in this thread. They don't resemble Colt's and Windham's A2 hanguards at all... So odd that the first set that I got from LMT was brand new and exactly the same as what Colt and Windham are selling.

There was no mention on the website that these handguards were used surplus and I would have never bought them if I had known that they were in this condition... Especially for new Colt A2/A4 handguard prices.

So, I'm sending these 3 sets back to LMT for a refund... And all my future A2 handguard purchases will be through Windham Weaponry if they ever come back in stock.
View Quote

Surplus are the good kind. Even more so, if they happen to be semi-shiny and don't have the DNR stamp.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Surplus are the good kind. Even more so, if they happen to be semi-shiny and don't have the DNR stamp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They would have been decent if they weren't all beat up and gouged with bent up heat shields that loosely rattled around (one of the three sets was actually bowed out in the middle leaving a gap). The heat shields had the deep stamped "Do Not Remove" and the plastic was more flat and dull in appearance.

The current Colt/Windham A2 handguards are a definite step above in quality... It was as obvious as comparing the quality of a brand new in the package Okay Industries mag to that of a old "USA" brand junk bin mag that's been clanking around at the gun show for the last 20 years. I just can't believe LMT was passing them off as new by not indicating that they were used surplus and charging full price. I'm suspecting that LMT just has a big bin of used surplus A2 handguards that range in condition, quality and manufacturer and I just got really lucky on the set of handguards that I received on my first order... I guess it's possible that they may have been used too, but if they were they must have been so slightly used that I can't really tell.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yah those oval "round" handguards got me PO'd too.

FWIW I have a set of teh Bushmasters that CDNN has/had for cheap, they have the DNR marking BUT instead of having the silver finish they are blackened.  Edges of the metal are still silver, so not sure what is going on.

The oval PSAs I have the liner is silver/shiny is not marked/stamped and has a much wider channel - the bushmasters seem to mimic an AR barrel profile starting narrow near the delta ring and get slightly wider where the vent holes start and then has a shallow taper to the end.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top