Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2018 10:45:39 AM EDT
So a couple weeks ago I got on apex gun parts and ordered the following stock: linky

Instead of the crack on the buttplate (which I was hoping for), I instead had an outstanding looking buttplate, but a crack along the top of the stock.  I do appreciate a nice custom battleworn finish, but I'm curious if any of you had a method to repairing the crack before I try to tackle it with some JB Weld

This is going on an A4 clone-ish, but will eventually be replaced with an A2, then naturally it will breed and turn into some other variant where the stock would actually be correct.

Here's some obligatory pics of the crack
imgur album
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
There was this discussion a while back.  Want to get some to play dentist on a few broken teeth attached to a mottled set of handguards.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/A1_triangular_handguards/123-690413/
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#2]
You can repair it as new with Plastifix.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Plastifix, used carefully, can restore a black stock to almost new...but it's not exactly cheap.  Since this crack seems to be very narrow, and if you're not trying to achieve complete restoration, simple superglue may do what you want it to do.

I'd start by throwing it in a clamp and seeing if the crack tightens up a bit under moderate pressure.  If so, loosen the clamp, clean the crack with a little alcohol, then carefully apply a small amount of superglue along the length of the crack (letting it seep in). If you have a needle applicator, you can do this pretty neatly.  Tighten the clamp--but not overly tight--and when the excess glue seeps out, wipe it off quickly.

Caveat: when you clamp the stock, you'll be reducing its "bore" slightly, so a buffer tube may fit a bit tight.  If you've worked with many old stocks, you'll already know you might have to sand the inside bore a bit to get it to fit.

I don't think the superglue will do any damage (I've never had a problem, at least) and it should be tough enough to stop the crack from getting any worse.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#4]
use superglue then sand it flush and paint you willl never know it was there. or JB weld
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the suggestions! I’m heading out to my hardware store for some powder and to see what I can find!
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a small crack in the same spot, but only maybe an inch long, I mixed up some two part plastic epoxy with a drop of black paint so you wont see it. Spread the crack open as much as I dared too and pushed in the epoxy and wrapped the stock with a rubber band to set. Looks great now, cant even see where it was but I haven't shot it yet so I can't speak to the longevity.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top