Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2020 3:16:27 PM EDT
Ive been a little underwhelmed about the lower receivers since they are all very similar in features. I was thinking about what could be different at least somewhat from the rest. Has anyone tried making a lower with a bolt catch/release that is similar to the ACR catch/release. It would require quite a bit of redesign as it seems that the mag release would have to be moved to make room for it, but I would prefer that over the standard bold release/catch.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Fixing things that already work seems like a great deal of effort for not all that much reward.  Sure, the design could possibly be better, but is the imagined change going to be cost/time/benefit effective?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to have a web link to a company that made custom bolt catch that you milled a slot in the right top of the receiver and you could release the bolt catch with your right index finger. It was pretty operator level looking. But I cannot find any reference to the item now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to have a web link to a company that made custom bolt catch that you milled a slot in the right top of the receiver and you could release the bolt catch with your right index finger. It was pretty operator level looking. But I cannot find any reference to the item now.
View Quote
Teal Blue PDQ

I think something like the LMT MARS lower is the best implementation of a full ambi lower receiver.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]
To the OP: You should do it. I have seen where folks have built these things out of the aluminum from beer cans. I have seen where someone has built a lower out of the brass from empty casings. I have seen left side chargers and all manner of ambidextrous set-ups. If you believe the effort is worth it have at it. I am sure it will be followed with interest.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ive been a little underwhelmed about the lower receivers since they are all very similar in features. I was thinking about what could be different at least somewhat from the rest. Has anyone tried making a lower with a bolt catch/release that is similar to the ACR catch/release. It would require quite a bit of redesign as it seems that the mag release would have to be moved to make room for it, but I would prefer that over the standard bold release/catch.
View Quote
got a dremmel?

just cut the receiver all the way through at the bolt catch, weld a piece of 1/8" wire to the bottom of the bolt catch, bend it, cut to length.

I've done about 10 of these, would look prettier with a mill but it basically a free upgrade.

Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#9]
RRA had that feature on their .308. The Robinson XCR has the best version, fastest drills, and best ergos.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#10]
That is an interesting idea. I just don't think there is enough room in between the trigger and mag well on an AR15 for it to fit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fixing things that already work seems like a great deal of effort for not all that much reward.  Sure, the design could possibly be better, but is the imagined change going to be cost/time/benefit effective?
View Quote
This is exactly the reason why the Stoner design has been in service for so long and likely will be for some time. The multiple attempts to replace the M16/M4 have proven that any improvements possible with current technology are not significant enough to justify dumping the M16/M4 and adopt a new design service wide. Even "simple" upgrades like going with ambi lowers or going with mid length gas v.s. carbine length would be a huge undertaking and likely cost millions to implement.

As far as commercial products? Knock yourself out, your own time and money is the only thing you can lose if the design is not successful.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Wasn't there a whole lawsuit about patent infringement on this design?

Update: I didn't really follow this after the lawsuit, just remember it being pretty stupid.

Robinson Arms sues Rem/BM/RRA/Magpul
Robinson Arms Sues Remington, Bushmaster, RRA, and Magpul

Robinson Arms, manufacturers of the XCR have filed suit yesterday in US District Court for Utah against Remington, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, and Magpul Industries based on alleged infringement of their patent (Multi-caliber ambidextrously controllable firearm #7,596,900) issued 6 October, 2009 and initially filed in August of 2003.

Specifically, the weapons alleged to have violated Robinson’s patent are the Remington/Bushmaster ACR, Magpul Masada/Massoud, and the RRA LAR-8. All of these weapons feature a magazine release that is manipulated by the trigger finger from within reach of the trigger guard as well as a similar bolt hold open device. We have read the complaint and it is fairly ambiguous as the which patent claims they allege were violated.

Both Bushmaster and Remington are part of the Freedom group, owned by Cerberus Capital Management. So for taking on Freedom Group I give them an “E” for Effort. Of note is the timing of the suit, just days before SHOT Show as well as Robinson’s announcement on their website that they would be exhibiting after all in a booth (#20034) shared with Serbu.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#14]
My favorite AR lower right there. The only issue is they are out of stock most of the time. Their upper/handguard combos are equally impresive plus Radian makes the Talon safety and Raptor CH. All top notch stuff!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top