Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2018 12:18:46 AM EDT
So are ARMS mounts considered shit?

I have a M68 mount I am using on my Aimpoint M3 and its been great but I do not take the sight/mount off the rifle. Its been solid as a rock for thousands of rounds on my primary carbine.

I have heard stories of the levers breaking.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#1]
There are quite a few out there and quite a few stories of the ARMS levers breaking off. (Partially due to how fucking tight their tolerances are) you sometimes have to really torque them open/closed. I've seen this the most on the ARMS #17 mounts.

Anyways I've been using them for years and love them. Have never broken a single one and still use them to this day. I do think LaRue levers and mounts are less prone to breakage though
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#3]
For what it's worth, imho they are good mounts. Especially when they first came to market. I think design wise things have evolved somewhat since the 90's. This is not a nock as I still use and like them, but there certainly are quality alternatives out there ( like Larue and Geissle for example ). The latest design trends seem to be going the one piece bolt on type. To minimize zero shifts, at least for optics from what I've observed.

What do I know though, it's tough keeping up sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
All mine broke and Mark replaced them years ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Pat Roger's thru mine in his box and gave me a brand new LaRue.... I never looked back...
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All mine broke and Mark replaced them years ago.
View Quote
Same. The levers failed dang near spontaneously.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't believe the posts of so many people breaking their arms mount but when it finally happened to me with the only set of number 22 rings I became a big believer. When my emails went unanswered about how to send them in for replacement or repair I said the heck with arms and I have since moved on to LaRue and moved on from them to American defense solely.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
ive used arms mounts on rx30's only becaus there is no other option for certain reflex models. never broke one but i dont take them off/on much.

i sure wouldnt chose arms mounts over anything else given options.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]
My 553 decided to start shifting back and forth on the top rail with a bit of pressure applied... It has been taken on and off a bit admittedly, but Im not happy. I know everyone says the mkII levers don't work, but I got a pair and am going to try to install them anyways because its my only damn option.

Mark Larue, please do a round duex of the arms lever "stress test", I would love to phase out all my arms sh!t (I dont trust them as a company anymore, but Im forced to use their damn products due to fiscal reasons and proprietary parts)
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mark Larue, please do a round duex of the arms lever "stress test", I would love to phase out all my arms sh!t (I dont trust them as a company anymore, but Im forced to use their damn products due to fiscal reasons and proprietary parts)
View Quote
I don't understand the math here. I get sticking with what you have because you can't afford upgrades, but I don't understand how testing is going to convince you of something you already know.
You should ask Mark for another mount sale.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll take all the ARMS stuff no-one wants
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I had an arms mount once on my t1.
Big mistake.
Marrs some rails.
On others, it doesn't even fit.
Ive also had rails where the mount fits too loose.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I still have 40b sights-and a couple of mounts. They have always worked fine for me.
He may or may not make the best scope mount, but Mark Larue is a marketing genius. With getting people to destroy arms mounts that worked fine. Amazing, and a hat and bottle opener will do wonders.
Frigging amazing
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#15]
The mounts have work fine for the military for many years in the past. The biggest problem with Swan is that Dick Swan is...well, a dick!
Edited so Dick won't sue me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm forced to use one on my Elcan. Not a fan.

Out of the box, it fit fine on all of my BCM uppers, but slid freely back and forth on a Spikes upper. Bought the adjustable levers and it didn't do any good.

Now, a few years later, I noticed that the rear lever has loosened up and doesn't really grab anymore. The front lever is still tight on BCM uppers, but I'm concerned it will loosen up over time as well. That's one of the main reasons I've moved my Elcan off to my "spare" rifle and use a GDI mounted ACOG instead.

I've inquired a few times over the years to various companies on whether or not they plan to bring an alternate solution to market for Elcans, but nobody seems able/interested in doing it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I've used 7 or 8 Elcans over the years and switched them between several rifles. Never had a problem with them. They are certainly tight. Scary tight.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't understand the math here. I get sticking with what you have because you can't afford upgrades, but I don't understand how testing is going to convince you of something you already know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simple answer is Eotech 553... I dont have any other option, but I dont want to retire the sight just because a swan man made it...

I have and currently use ADM, Larue, Geissele, A.R.M.S. and MI/Elite defense for QD. I "like" my A.R.M.S. mounts the least, but most of them still work save my 553 mount.

And the stress test is in reference to a short period of time where an alarming amount of A.R.M.S. mounts failed at once, and were replaced with a superior mounting system from an santa-like tactical company.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep those were the days...proxy posters and some good poo flinging...
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Simple answer is,

Don't be a Dick
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top