Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2021 8:50:31 AM EDT
Finally finished my series of Russian military 9x39 with the early version of the SP6 "Tula", which is more pointier than the rest.  
The 9x39 are basically made by 2 companies, Klimovsk (2 cutaways on top) and Tsnhtockmash (3 cutaways on bottom)
Examples of case coatings also displayed

wolfganggross

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting rounds. I never thought about the bullet being that long. It’s a lot like a.300 BO in terms of size. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I would actually be very interested in how you make these cutaways. I have always wondered how it’s done.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
@wolfganggross

Did you add the blue stuff on the cutaway or is it in the bullets?

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@wolfganggross

View Quote

Think its just the color from the light or camera flash from the steel cord. Steel is more reflective than lead so you can see the clear difference between the steel and lead core sections. Or maybe he blues the steels in the cutaway cores to prevent corrosion
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would actually be very interested in how you make these cutaways. I have always wondered how it’s done.
View Quote

I believe they are ground rather than cut. But I suspect it's much more complicated, especially with tungsten and other exotics. Also some rounds that are designed to ignite or detonate in air are sectioned under water. That's just what I've gathered so far by reading his numerous and very interesting posts.

I've never heard the exact techniques discussed maybe to keep us from hurting ourselves.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was actively sectioning cartridges for my collection I essentially used a small hand saw and finished with sandpaper. I believe Kevin uses a technique that involves powered equipment but I won't speculate or elaborate beyond that.

Sharing of exact processes has been generally frowned upon in the cartridge collector community for liability reasons. A novice attempting to section a cartridge with a potentially very dangerous projectile (containing white phosphorous, PETN, other explosive elements , etc...) components can end badly. Knowing what you are working with and how to identify its construction is the first order of business before the physical work begins.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope to test these against armor someday.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@wolfganggross

View Quote

No blue dies or inks.  You are looking at a flattened polished smooth steel core that was photographed outside with blue skies.  
At the bottom of the PAB9 cutaway you can almost make out the reflection of my gutter on my house.

First know what you are cutting.  Tear down and de prime.  Sand in half with 10in disc sander. Glue back and reassemble.  Gorilla epoxy for bullet, Elmers school glue for powder.  hand sand flat until finished.   Its never that easy and almost every bullet has to be sectioned different.   Devildog is correct, most wont speak of the how.  Would rather see someone do it right, than to loose 3 fingers and an eye! (Just mentioned a friend from England)

Make sure to thank ARFCOM/ AR15.com for allowing me to post them here.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top