Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2018 12:51:54 PM EDT
Over here in the UK several people are trying to make 9mm single shot (or straightpull) carbines since we are not allowed semi auto.

Do any of you know who could supply /work on a 9mm carbine barrel with a 223 extension ?
Blow back bolts will not work & a standard BCG would be ideal as would lock for each shot.

We have a lot of 223 Ar's that work that way just fine on single shot - would be great to have the 9mm option as well.

Thanks for any advise !
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I spoke to Ron Williams about this. I wanted  a build a straight pull side charger so I could shoot 9mm suppressed real quiet. Kind of a substitute for a bolt action 9mm carbine.

Ron made some DI 9mm ARs but I believe you had to use reloads because commercial ammo was too dirty for it to run reliably for very long. That would not have mattered for a single shot.

I talked to Ron about building the upper with the DI bcg and barrel extension and just leaving out the gas system. He said it would work, and I want to say he said he had done a few like that, not 100% sure though.

Anyway I went on to other projects, but that is where I would start.

http://www.rmwxtreme.com/

James

PS Ron built my 8in 300blk upper a few years ago when there were not as many options. It has been 100% It would shoot subs, supers, suppressed, and unsupressed all with out changing anything. I run it suppressed 100% of the time now as it has its own can, mostly with subs, sometimes supers. I don't think it had ever malfunctioned, except when real dirty I think it failed to go all the way into battery on a fresh mag one time.

Ron is very easy to work with and his prices were reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d wait to see how the Lantac and Wayne’s worlds attempts fair...l

It has been tried before but it’s difficult with the shorter case and the standard ejector,

I believe it’s very hard on bolts too...
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d wait to see how the Lantac and Wayne’s worlds attempts fair...l

It has been tried before but it’s difficult with the shorter case and the standard ejector,

I believe it’s very hard on bolts too...
View Quote
As was mentioned Ron @ RMWXTREME.COM  has built several both DI and single shot all work fine. The DI runs better on reloads that are tailored to the gun with clean burning powders. I have 2 DI 9mm and have run factory ammo and it needs to be cleaned every couple of mags to keep running. I have also run some factory ammo thru FA which speeds up the need to clean but until it gets dirty it is a screamer.
I have several thousand rounds thru them and no issues with bolt or feeding/extraction.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure how your laws work... But I know there really isn’t much power on a blow back 9mm.

I think if you could have a charging handle made that was solid behind the key on a 9mm it would probably keep it shut. Then if needed you could always cut a thin channel on the side of the receiver and pin the handle so it could not be easily removed and replaced.

I don’t know, just thinking out loud. But again, I don’t know what your laws are or what requirements you have to meet.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top