Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2020 3:34:42 PM EDT
I’m just now making the plunge into the AR9 world.   I have a dedicated colt pattern reduced mag well lower coming. This will be built as a pistol and possibly eventually an SBR.

Because I’ve never personally dealt with blowback 9mm AR’s I obviously have some questions.

What barrels are known to be good? What barrels are known to be bad?

I was looking at a 5.5” Ballistic Advantage barrel and found some negative remarks about feed cones.  What’s that about and is this still an issue?

I want a plug and play setup as much as possible but I understand AR9’s can be finicky.  I don’t want to waste $$$ if I don’t have to.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like the joe bob / faxon light weight profiles.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Macon Armory.  Rudy will set you up.

I had a ton of problems with feeding issues in my first build. Upper was a pre-assembled purchase from another dealer. Took it apart and sent the barrel to Rudy, and he re-profiled the feed cone with his "guaranteed to feed" treatment.  Now it feeds everything.  I just ran another 400 through it a couple weeks ago and did not have a single stoppage. Colt magazine adapter in the lower.

I was so impressed I bought my second build's barrel (5.5") from him and it has never had a feeding issue. Glock mag lower.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used New Frontier armory and have had no problems...…..also have a Gorilla Machining that works...…….have a Faxon that sucked until Rudy at Macon got it to work...……...I would give him a shout and see what kind of barrels he has...……..After the bad luck with that faxon……….I would just give him a call...……...
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt, Ballistic Advantage, Faxon, Foxtrot Mike, KaK, CMMG, and many others.

If this is your first, I'd recommend a CMMG Guard RDB parts for the upper, but I believe it can be tricky to get to work with Colt mags.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll second that for Rudy's barrels, and he's always on this forum so you can ask him the questions.  MaconArmory.com
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m just now making the plunge into the AR9 world.   I have a dedicated colt pattern reduced mag well lower coming. This will be built as a pistol and possibly eventually an SBR.

Because I’ve never personally dealt with blowback 9mm AR’s I obviously have some questions.

What barrels are known to be good? What barrels are known to be bad?

I was looking at a 5.5” Ballistic Advantage barrel and found some negative remarks about feed cones.  What’s that about and is this still an issue?

I want a plug and play setup as much as possible but I understand AR9’s can be finicky.  I don’t want to waste $$$ if I don’t have to.

Thanks!
View Quote
Feed cone issues are usually concerning Glock mag rigs.  I have a BA 8.3" 9mm barrel and it has been flawless with Endomags and quite acurate as well.  I am also using the Fox Mike 6.5 ounce buffer and Faxon bolt, standard carbine spring with SBA3 brace.  Runs like a Swiss watch and recoil is minimal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:09:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Feel free to give me a call at the shop if you have any questions, I usually start answering the phone after 9:30AM so I get some uninterrupted time in the mornings in the shop...
I still have a steady stream of barrels coming into the shop almost daily for rework.....
View Quote
I went ahead and ordered a bbl, buffer, and bolt through the website!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:50:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top