Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2018 7:12:47 PM EDT
EDITED: RESOLVED. BIG thanks to Rudy at Macon Armory for all his help with this.  The chamber feed cuts, bolt mod, and one of their 7.5oz. deadblow-style adjustable weight buffers appears to have done the trick and gotten this setup working, even with the apparently questionable Winchester NATO ammo I purchased in bulk that has given me nothing but problems.

Second time to the range with this setup and having significant FTF jamming issues with my 9mm AR pistol. Here are the specs:

Upper:
Alpha Shooting Sports 9mm upper w/ nitrited CHF 4.5" barrel
Alpha Shooting Sports M-LOK 4" FDE handguard
Alpha Shooting Sports premium 9mm bcg

Lower:
Anderson AR lower
DPMS lower build kit
KAK Industry 9mm colt mag adapter
Law Tactical folding stock mechanism
Alpha Shooting Sports 5.6 oz. 3.5" 9mm buffer
Brownells carbine spring
Spacers in buffer tube for proper rearward bolt travel

Magazines:
Metalform 32 rd.

The rounds jam by ramming into the top inside of the chamber as the are being pushed forward, and the bolt just stops with only the cartridge brass visible at an angle between the chamber and the base of the bolt.  The bullet is in the chamber and bent sideways in the case (not pushed back into the case), and the top edge of the case has a crescent rub mark where it hits the top inside of the chamber.  This happens between 1 and 4 times per mag.

In a strange twist, when I carefully retract the bolt just far enough to nudge the cartridge into the chamber and pull the trigger, the hammer is almost always already forward, implying that it was never reset by the bolt (short stroking?).

I have put literally almost a thousand rounds through this setup and it keeps giving the same problem. I tried changing the buffer weight, I tried adding and removing bolt stop spacers, and I have tried changing the ammo.

The bolt/buffer/LAW folder extension total weight is 19.8oz.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Continued...

The only ammo that seems to work 100 percent is truncated cone 147 grain fmj.  Hotter124gr. NATO ammo exhibits the exact same problem, including hammer reset issues, as experienced with weaker 115gr Federal fmj. Dropping the total bolt/buffer weight to 19oz. has no positive effect, even with hot ammo. Jamming combined with hammer reset issue was still there.

The ejector rides very close to the bolt and rubs slightly at the top, so I polished the contact points and it does not seem to inhibit bolt movement. The feed ramp on the mag block cannot be adjusted.

My next troubleshooting move would be to put the upper, magblock, and buffer setup on to a different lower & trigger mechanism I have and see if I continue having the same problem. After that, I'm stuck on what to do.

I am approaching the limits of my troubleshooting skills.  Thoughts and suggestions from people who have had similar problems would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Had the same problem with an early manufacture BA barrel.  Rudy is your answer - it feeds anything now that he re-cut my feed cone.

Rudy, what is this bolt mod you speak of?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried several things trying to get one particular 9mm SBR to work, 2nd round would appear to go into battery but would never fire.
The trigger wouldn't reset, and the live round would need to be mortered.
If I put the same round back into the top of the mag - it'd load and fire, but the next one wouldn't.

Glock mags, ammo didn't matter.

Rudy's barrel with his magic chamber milling fixed it, now it works every time.

I have faith that Rudy knows how to fix stuff.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
@ MaconArmory Thank you, sir!  I sent you an email.  I appreciate any and all help I can get at this time.  I really want this setup to work.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with what everyone says here.  My AR9 had similar issues.  I got lucky in mine all I had to do was sand off the coating on the barrel extension face and inside the chamber then get the metal to a mirror polish.  Now it runs like a top.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quick update... well, not much of an update, but...

I received the modified barrel and bolt in good condition and re-installed/re-assembled the unit several weeks ago.  The work done by Macon looks very nice.

I still have not had a chance to get out to the range.  The weather and my schedule have not been cooperating.  Hand-cycling snap-caps has been perfect, where before they would frequently jam.

As soon as I can get to the range I'll post another update, but considering how well hand-cycling works, my spirits are definitely lifted.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn’t bother with a mod of my malfunctioning barrel; just bought a Macon barrel instead. My Spikes AR9 has been flawless since then. Promoted to HD gun.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Very happy I bought Macon Armory barrel for my 9mm pistol build,900 plus rounds through no issues
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I built two 9mm ars using Macon 5in barrels, bolts, buffers, psa lowers and nfa side charging uppers. They ran 100% first time out. Have not shot them anymore, because I am form oneing the lowers and building big ass form one reflex cans for them.

So, without going into what the bolt mod is, can you tell me if it would be something you could do to the 9mm bolts I already purchased and would it work well with a glock mag lower and suppressed?

Sorry for the hijack.

James
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Range Update (finally)  - good news and bad news

Ran the following:
5 metalform mags - 4x30rd, 1x10rd
2 promag mags - 2x25rd (heavily modified to work right - and they do!)

174 rounds of:
Federal 115gr round nose FMJ (relatively low velocity)
full box American Eagle 147gr truncated cone FMJ
full box Winchester 124gr NATO round nose FMJ
Remington 115gr JHP

Suppressor used for 1/2 of the 147's.

Everything fed perfectly, even suppressed!  Thanks Rudy!!!!

Now the bad news.  The 124 NATO rounds had 3 stovepipes during extraction/ejection and one really bad jam with the empty stuck inside the action above and to the left of a newly partially fed round.  Now that the Winchester NATO is on sale, I picked up a bunch and would like to get this setup to work with it.

All stovepipe jams were stereotypical - the rim of the case was trapped between the bolt and the front of the ejection port with another round behind it part-way in the chamber.

The ejector appears to be where it should be relative to the slot in the bolt and the face of the ejector is parallel to the bolt face.  All empities that ejected fine went about 5-15' at 3-4 o'clock

All of the empty cases have black 1/2 way down one side of the case which doesn't look unusual.  No bulging.

Since everything ejects fine except the NATO, I figure it's either the dimensions of the Winchester case rims interacting with the extractor, or the extra blowback pressure from the NATO rounds causing the extractor to pop off the case rim early (guessing here).

Or something else?

I can increase the bolt weight to slow it down a bit using the currently removed interal bolt weight (removed to fit the LAW folding plug).  It will just have to be trimmed to fit with the LAW adapter in place ($0 cost solution), or get a heavier buffer (>$0 cost solution).

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I did a little research after posting and I think we both came to the same conclusion - the ejector isn't hitting the back of the cartridge case correctly.  I looked at the ejector again and adjusted it so that it is touching the bolt on the side and top without restricting bolt movement, and re-faced the front with a file so that it is flush and parallel with the bolt face.  It needed a fair amount of cleaning up.  I also filed off the stamping burrs from the left, right, and top. I gave the top and face a gentle rub with 600 grit emery paper.

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Rudy, thanks for asking!  I live in the suburbs, the range is an hour and a half round trip, and work/family obligations have been keeping me from getting there.  I should be able to give it a thorough test in the next couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Made it out to the range this weekend and had the same exact issue. The 124 grain NATO rounds still won't eject properly.  In fact, the jams were worse, with the case mouths completely crushed. This is really annoying because I have so much of this ammo.

I saw in another thread that someone suggested tweaking the ejector downward a little. I'll bring some pliers with me next time and make a series of different adjustments to see if I can get it to work.  I may even make a trip to the nearby local indoor range despite their ridiculous hourly pricing just to save me the 1.5 hour trip.

If that doesn't work, I'm switching to an entirely new magwell adapter, for Glock mags this time, and will see if that will work with this barrel/bolt setup. If it does, I'll put the KAK adapter and Colt-style magazines up for sale as a package deal for someone else to mess with.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Hi Rudy, I'm willing to try if you are.  I'll send you an email.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Good news - the Macon Armory 7.5oz. buffer from appears to have done the trick.  Although some of the Winchester NATO empties would just barely trickle out of the ejection port, they did get out.  Slowing down the action with the heavier buffer appears to be giving the weak ejecting empties enough time to find their way out.  150 rounds of Win NATO, and no ejection failures.  Plus by spreading out the recoil impulse with the deadblow moving weight in the buffer, the whole system has significantly less felt recoil.  Very significantly.

I swapped the Colt adapter for the Stern Defense Glock mag adapter and had one stovepipe in four (17 rd.) mags, so not too bad, but it looks like the Colt mag setup is more reliable with this crappy Winchester NATO ammo, which I DO NOT RECOMMEND.  I'm very disappointed with this stuff.  I've never had much luck with Winchester and I'll be staying away from now on.

At least I can swap between a Colt mag and a Glock mag setup in about 30 seconds on the range with these 2 adapters.  Variety is the spice of life.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top