BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 84
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:52:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EARRNHARDT3] [#1]
Finally got my first Glock mag 9MM done.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 8:11:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drew_red] [#2]
derp
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got this assembled tonight.  Seems to load, dimple primers, and eject fine with the dummy rounds.  Now to get it out and do some shooting.  Winter sucks.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
@Mad-Machinist

Thank you, Sir!

Calling this one 50 shades of gray

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Macon Armory 8.5” Barrel and buffer
KAK brace, tube, magwell adapter and stubby flash can
PSA quad rail my buddy @C_Swimm had in his parts box
Aero Stripped upper with Cmmg gas deflector and port door
Kaw Valley bolt

Girlfriend bought me Larue fixed sights, and a Sig Romeo 5 red dot, which arrive this or next week. Just need a good hand stop and my larue UDE index clips and we will be good.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kagetora:
Just got this assembled tonight.  Seems to load, dimple primers, and eject fine with the dummy rounds.  Now to get it out and do some shooting.  Winter sucks.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/254435/IMG_20171212_184540-389364.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/254435/IMG_20171212_184722-389365.JPG
View Quote
Okay, this has my attention. Is there a build thread or parts list for it?
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:58:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kagetora] [#6]
Originally Posted By v137a:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By v137a:

There can be.

It's an 80% lower I finished, and a slick-side Aero upper.
I had a Strike Industries enhanced LPK, but for a couple reasons I only used a few parts from it.  The rest are CMMG.  Except for a Tom's Tactical trigger/hammer.
6" Angstadt barrel, with a 7" YHM MLOK handguard and a KAW Valley Linear Comp.  With Strike Industries MLOK covers.
Also KAW Valley bolt, buffer, spring, and pistol tube.
KAK Colt pattern mag adapter
Thorsden buffer tube cover+saddle.   IMI foregrip I modified to fit closer.  Turns out that was kind of a mistake (see below).
Vortex Venom in a Strike Industries exoskeleton, Magpul MBUS, and a Crimson Trace rail-mount green laser on an MLOK section.
And a FAB Defense Podium    Because it looks like that.

So, it has two problems so far.  The SI ambi safety selector is hard to make function.  It's function is fine, but it's sticky/stiff.  Not sure if it is the selector or the 80% lower.  Will hopefully loosen up over time.

Also, that IMI angled grip I modified.  Makes it impossible to get the pistol apart unless I loosen it and slide it forward.  Not a huge deal, just an extra step when cleaning.  Poorly thought out on my part.  Looks cool though.

The Podium...man.  It's possible I might have found the only legitimate use for one, with is on a super-short pistol like this.  It actually...works, at least in testing.  I don't think I would ever put on on a regular, full-size rifle though, for all of the reasons put forth in reviews.  Nothing else looks like it though, so it had to go on.

Those parts, and an obsessive amount of painter's tape, custom-made stencils, and Duracoat, and this is the result.  Pure fun!

ETA: this is the last Aero upper I am going to buy.  The takedown pin hole was literally oblong, and required serious file work to make fit.  Obviously I am not afraid of work, but, man.  I own a bunch of AR's and I've never seen anything like that before.  Maybe I got a fluke, but I'll stick with my regular brands and deal with the essentially useless (for me) forward assist.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#7]

So, it has two problems so far.  The SI ambi safety selector is hard to make function.  It's function is fine, but it's sticky/stiff.  Not sure if it is the selector or the 80% lower.  Will hopefully loosen up over time.
View Quote
Have you tried rounding off the pointy tip of the detent?  I've had to soften the tip of mine several times, as it required so much force to flip the safety, I seriously thought I would break the lever.  Worked fine for a while, then got sticky again...  The last time I removed it for additional work, it had gotten pitted from the groove between the selector's indents.  I'm guessing that pitting was catching on the edge of either the indent or groove and refusing to drop down and slide past.  If I have to mess with it a fourth time, I'm buying an aftermarket safety with one of those pre-rounded detents some of them come with...
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By blAck_Rice:

Have you tried rounding off the pointy tip of the detent?  I've had to soften the tip of mine several times, as it required so much force to flip the safety, I seriously thought I would break the lever.  Worked fine for a while, then got sticky again...  The last time I removed it for additional work, it had gotten pitted from the groove between the selector's indents.  I'm guessing that pitting was catching on the edge of either the indent or groove and refusing to drop down and slide past.  If I have to mess with it a fourth time, I'm buying an aftermarket safety with one of those pre-rounded detents some of them come with...
View Quote
I did not try that yet.  When I get home from work today, I will.  Thank for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#9]

I did not try that yet.  When I get home from work today, I will.  Thank for the suggestion!
View Quote
Yeah I'm thinking that will fix your issue.  I've had some very hard to move selectors before and its take a lot of sitting and flipping to round them down.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By edcurtis:

Yeah I'm thinking that will fix your issue.  I've had some very hard to move selectors before and its take a lot of sitting and flipping to round them down.
View Quote
It helped a bit.  It's operational with a little extra thumb force now...as opposed to practically needing thumbs on both sides.  LOL.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]

There can be.

I had a Strike Industries enhanced LPK, but for a couple reasons I only used a few parts from it.  The rest are CMMG.  Except for a Tom's Tactical trigger/hammer.
6" Angstadt barrel, with a 7" YHM MLOK handguard and a KAW Valley Linear Comp.  With Strike Industries MLOK covers.
Thorsden buffer tube cover+saddle.   IMI foregrip I modified to fit closer.  Turns out that was kind of a mistake (see below).
Vortex Venom in a Strike Industries exoskeleton, Magpul MBUS, and a Crimson Trace rail-mount green laser on an MLOK section.

Also, that IMI angled grip I modified.  Makes it impossible to get the pistol apart unless I loosen it and slide it forward.  Not a huge deal, just an extra step when cleaning.  Poorly thought out on my part.  Looks cool though.

The Podium...man.  It's possible I might have found the only legitimate use for one, with is on a super-short pistol like this.  It actually...works, at least in testing.  I don't think I would ever put on on a regular, full-size rifle though, for all of the reasons put forth in reviews.  Nothing else looks like it though, so it had to go on.

Those parts, and an obsessive amount of painter's tape, custom-made stencils, and Duracoat, and this is the result.  Pure fun!

ETA: this is the last Aero upper I am going to buy.  The takedown pin hole was literally oblong, and required serious file work to make fit.  Obviously I am not afraid of work, but, man.  I own a bunch of AR's and I've never seen anything like that before.  Maybe I got a fluke, but I'll stick with my regular brands and deal with the essentially useless (for me) forward assist.
View Quote
I would say the problem with you're AERO upper was definitely a fluke. They're actually one of the better manufacturers IMO. Did you buy the upper directly from AERO precision?
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice.  Specs on barrel?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Effenpig:

I would say the problem with you're AERO upper was definitely a fluke. They're actually one of the better manufacturers IMO. Did you buy the upper directly from AERO precision?
View Quote
No.  Trying to remember which retailer I got it from.  Typically I go through Primary Arms or JoeBob, but I think I found the upper on Tom's Tactical.  I also picked up the trigger and MBUS there.

The other 4 AR's I have are all Spike's uppers and lowers, and I never had any issues with them.   I also helped my friends put together a few of their first AR's, and, again, I recall they used Spikes.  So, admittedly, I don't have a lot of variety in choice of uppers and lowers.

Honestly, I may just be soured on the Aero name itself.  I own an Aero Survival Rifle in 10mm, and the thing is a freaking jam-o-matic, no matter what ammo I try to run through it.  I think it's made by TNW though, and I don't think they have anything to do with Aero Precision.  If they do, that would be two crappy products I got with the Aero name on it.  To be fair, I suppose, I probably don't have enough rounds through the ASR to have it "broken in."  Mostly because it's been a struggle getting rounds THROUGH it.  But it's probably just the name sticking in my head.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#14]

No.  Trying to remember which retailer I got it from.  Typically I go through Primary Arms or JoeBob, but I think I found the upper on Tom's Tactical.  I also picked up the trigger and MBUS there.

The other 4 AR's I have are all Spike's uppers and lowers, and I never had any issues with them.   I also helped my friends put together a few of their first AR's, and, again, I recall they used Spikes.  So, admittedly, I don't have a lot of variety in choice of uppers and lowers.

Honestly, I may just be soured on the Aero name itself.  I own an Aero Survival Rifle in 10mm, and the thing is a freaking jam-o-matic, no matter what ammo I try to run through it.  I think it's made by TNW though, and I don't think they have anything to do with Aero Precision.  If they do, that would be two crappy products I got with the Aero name on it.  To be fair, I suppose, I probably don't have enough rounds through the ASR to have it "broken in."  Mostly because it's been a struggle getting rounds THROUGH it.  But it's probably just the name sticking in my head.
View Quote
I don't think the ASR has anything to do with Aero Precision other than the word "aero"

The reason I asked if you got the upper direct is that it may not actually be an Aero upper at all. I've even seen AO precision uppers sold as Aero Precision uppers
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#15]

I don't think the ASR has anything to do with Aero Precision other than the word "aero"

The reason I asked if you got the upper direct is that it may not actually be an Aero upper at all. I've even seen AO precision uppers sold as Aero Precision uppers
View Quote
Anything is possible. The rest of the upper seems as good as any other I have seen. The takedown pin hole was strange though. The shaft of a 1/4" drill bit fit perfectly through the lower pivot and takedown holes, but it was as if the hole in the upper had been "squashed." Wider than it was tall...oblong. Not sure where or how that would happen. Hopefully it was just an odd fluke, regardless of origin.

And, yeah, I am pretty sure the ASR has nothing to do with Aero Precision. But they ended up conflated in my thick skull.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 1:01:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drew_red] [#17]
Originally Posted By m6z:
Nice.  Specs on barrel?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m6z:
Nice.  Specs on barrel?
Orion 5" 9mm with a Griffin 3-Lug rocksetted on. Happy with it.

http://www.orionguns.com/AR-15-9mm-5-Barrel-Black-Nitride-ON-SALE-5-9mm-Bar.htm
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:
http://i65.tinypic.com/x5uopk.jpg
View Quote
@bending_rodriguez

Is that a Bowers can?
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#19]

@bending_rodriguez

Is that a Bowers can?
View Quote
Yep bowers Vers 9S
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Diamondback  AR9

I finally completed my pistol build and made a range trip.

I've added:

Shockwave Blade
Holosun RDS
BUISs
Streamlight TLR-3
Magpul clone AFG
Keymod picatinny rails

I pre-loaded the included clone 33 round magazine, two Glock OEM 33 round mags, one Glock OEM G19 mag and a clone G19 mag with a mixture of WWB 115 and Blazer Brass 124.  120 rounds total, no issues, the weapon ran flawlessly.  I'm no super marksman, but I was able to keep all shots in center mass at 25 yards and 15 yards.

It was a fun range trip and the weapon behaved well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I recently ordered and received a new 604 type upper from Fulton Armory and now it definitely looks more correct for a Colt SMG clone. I'm leaving it as a pistol until I can decide if I want to do the paperwork to make it a SBR

Link Posted: 12/28/2017 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#22]

There can be.

View Quote
Thanks for the breakdown. I hadn't seen the podium before. It's ridiculous, and now I want one.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 2:50:02 AM EDT
[#23]
My latest and favorite so far. Nothing fancy just simple
- FM 10.5" upper
- Stern mag block
-  Anderson "pistol" lower
- KAK buffer, tube, Blade Stabilizer
- Larue APEG grip
- PA micro red dot with UTG QD med riser
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#24]
A little retro inspired build for me

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:42:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mgenerallo] [#25]
Here is my humble, stock 6450 with a 10.5" barrel, suppressed and unsuppressed.

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#26]
The twins
Mostly New Frontier Armory parts. They look like twins, but one is .45acp.
9mm runs awesome. Have yet to shoot .45....fingers crossed!

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:34:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZacSquatch] [#27]
Attachment Attached File

Finally "finished"

Upper-
Aero upper
CMMG gas deflector
Strike industries extended charging handle
KAW bolt
Macon Armory 8" barrel
KAK stubby flash can
PSA midlength quadrail
Magpul handstop and AFG2
Larue fixed rear/PRI front sights
Sig Sauer Romeo4 red dot
Sig Foxtrot1 light

Lower-
Valley Armory #69
KAK magwell adapter
KAK tube and brace
Macon Armory extended recoil buffer
Strike industries flat wire spring
ACT trigger with red/yellow JP springs
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: arrowhead7] [#28]

JBO Spartan Upper and Lower Receivers
Faxon 8.5 barrel
BCM 8in KMR
KAK Micro Flash Can and buffer setup
Vortex Sparc AR

88EC5BF3-AA57-4572-BAC6-3FDF4023505C by Nefarious79, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:48:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shifty522] [#29]

View Quote
I've run into this issue as well, it was really bad, damm near took a hammer to operate.  I just ended up cutting a coil or so off the detent spring and she flips smooth even some thou rounds later....not too tight, not too loose.  I had to do the same with the pivot pin as well just to give her the right tension, seems the detent well was just not quite deep enuff. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By shifty522:
I've run into this issue as well, it was really bad, damm near took a hammer to operate.  I just ended up cutting a coil or so off the detent spring and she flips smooth even some thou rounds later....not too tight, not too loose.  I had to do the same with the pivot pin as well just to give her the right tension, seems the detent well was just not quite deep enuff. YMMV
View Quote
That's an easy fix I am going to try. Worst that happens is I have to grab a spring out of the spare parts and replace the one I try cutting. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 10:56:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RecoilSensitive] [#31]
Looks like I am starting a new build.  Picked up this upper complete for $200 (without the supressor obviously) ordered a KE Arms Lower today. Trying to pickup some of the other parts on EE. Going for sub $500 before Optic and light

Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#32]

I just updated my old RRA A4 9mm carbine with Magpul SL and SL-K buttstock summer last year.

This carbine I built myself way back in 2006 using a complete RRA upper half, stripped RRA lower receiver, RRA internal parts, Hahn Precision mag block, Bravo Company mil-spec size buffer tube, Daniel Defense EZ-CAR 7 drop-in rails (no longer being made), Magpul XTM rail panels, Viking Tactics light mount, Surfire M2 light, GG&G SFG-1 short vertical grip, Magpul original MBUS rear sight, Stag Arms ambi selector, Daniel Defense loop receiver end plate sling mount, Colt 32rd mag and Specter Gear MOUT 1 point sling (only adapter shown).

At first during 100 to 200 rounds fired there were some stoppages, but after that it had been very reliable, sometimes I use some older C Products stainless with black finish 32 rd mags and it works fine too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:39:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bergy24] [#33]
CMMG MK9 PDW
Vortex Sparc Ar
Blade brace and buffer tube
Streamlight rail mount 1
Modified Larue handstop
Hogue grip
Seekins ambi safety
Taylor Freelance +10 mag extensions on a metalform mag

Link Posted: 1/4/2018 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#34]
That's an easy fix I am going to try. Worst that happens is I have to grab a spring out of the spare parts and replace the one I try cutting. Thanks!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shifty522:
Well, that seemed to work.  I cut a couple coils off, now it's a bit stiff, but MUCH better.  I sort of feel like an idiot for not thinking of it myself, but I guess that's why I come here.  To avail myself of other people's expertise.    Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Well, that seemed to work.  I cut a couple coils off, now it's a bit stiff, but MUCH better.  I sort of feel like an idiot for not thinking of it myself, but I guess that's why I come here.  To avail myself of other people's expertise.    Thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 10:08:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 66ss] [#36]

my 9mm featureless

Matrix Arms 9mm lower
Matrix Arms side charge upper (b4 they stopped making it bc Gibbz sued them)
Matrix Arms 15" charlie hand guard
Faxon Firearms 16" barrel
Strike Industries Mega Fin FRS grip
KAW valley BCG
KAW valley 7.5 oz 9mm buffer
KAW valley extra power spring
MAGPUL fixed carbine stock
Vortex sparc AR
MILSPEC trigger for now but i have a LANTEC CMC single stage drop in i want to try

100 rounds through her last week.  Cycled and fed 100% with brass blazer 124gr
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#37]
i give up....pic shows up in preview but not once i submit it.....
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#38]
This forum requires a certain post count before your pictures are visible inline. Mine started to show up after I hit 80 posts or so.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 66ss:
View Quote
You need to have 50 post to do that, if you use imgur you can send me the link and i'll upload them for you
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By BigMan74:

You need to have 50 post to do that, if you use imgur you can send me the link and i'll upload them for you
View Quote
ahhhh  gotcha.....ill send you the link....thank you
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigMan74:

appears to be up now, just need a few more members to approve the image and you should be good to go
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I'f you have less than 50 posts then your picture will only show up for Paid Members, until 3 separate members approve the picture.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:33:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shifty522] [#43]
View Quote
Here ya go buddy
** 66ss featureless build **
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#44]
thank you sir!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Got it finished for now. Will test tomorrow.

Plan on adding a red dot (RMR or similar) and a surefire after tax time.

Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:03:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cochraneap] [#46]

View All Quotes

Props on creativity.  I don't want one for myself, but if you were at my local range, I would definitely stare at you awkwardly and then give you a thumbs up when you looked over.  Nice to see something that's truly unique and not just another "custom" PSA upper and lower slapped together.

Looks like you should be able to pop out the takedown and pivot pins and lift the upper straight off?  If it still gets caught up on the hammer, try it with the hammer back.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#47]
thank you sir!!!
View Quote
Anytime buddy!!  
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By cochraneap:
Props on creativity.  I don't want one for myself, but if you were at my local range, I would definitely stare at you awkwardly and then give you a thumbs up when you looked over.  Nice to see something that's truly unique and not just another "custom" PSA upper and lower slapped together.

Looks like you should be able to pop out the takedown and pivot pins and lift the upper straight off?  If it still gets caught up on the hammer, try it with the hammer back.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cochraneap:

Yeah, I'm "that guy" at the range.  Everything turns into a custom ("geek") project.  I have (or had, before the boating accident) two Spikes zombie head lower 300 blackout pistols with all of the duracoat camo done in overlapping, different size biohazard symbols; a Cthulhu rifle in 5.56 covered completely in Lovecraft quotes, literally dyed into the polymer with RIT; an grey-alien themed rifle with camo done in sci-fi theme, other weird stuff too.  Basically, I am preparing for any EOTW scenario...aliens, rise of the Old Ones, zombiepocalypse, etc.  I will probably do up my RFB in a Rise of the Machines theme.

As far as getting it apart, it's super close, but just won't quite pop apart, even with the hammer back.  Oh well, lesson learned.  If I ever SBR it, I would probably swap that out with a Hera CQB Front Grip anyway.  More sci-fi looking, even if it's kind of a piece of crap.  I own a couple (bought them to try them out), but they made the polymer way too thin.  When you tighten it down on the rail, parts of it actually flare out.  Would be fine on this range toy though.

Here's the archived thread for the Cthulhu gun.  It's got a different optic on it now (Vortex Strike Eagle).  Hated that Burris one, and sold it.

Cthulhu Rifle
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:34:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Changed out the upper to one with a port door for the .22lr deflector.  Put a TLR-1s on there as well.

Link Posted: 1/22/2018 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Pretty basic compared to most of the other images folks have posted, but dang... I love look'n at it.

PSA complete 8 inch Mlok upper w/Hybrid BCG/CH
PSA complete Glock lower.
Sightmark Ultra Shot Plus Reflex Sight
Cheap Amazon flip-ups
ETS mag(s)
Shockwave blade brace (added after I got the lower).
Bravo company picatinny Mlok section for bipod (for sighting in, will likely move it and mount a light/laser one day)

Lots to workout on this thing, but there it is.
Page / 84
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top