Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2018 11:14:32 AM EDT
Greetings pistol pros.

I just purchased this Angstadt 9mm Glock mag-compatible Lower:

Attachment Attached File

My intent is to make a PDW-style 9mm AR pistol.

1) What are the best PDW-style pistol braces?  Maxim?

2) Do these braces require any special buffer/buffer tubes?

3) What are my best choices/sources for Glock mag-compatible uppers?

4) 9mm 4-8" Barrel choices/sources?

5) Side charging?

6) other thoughts?

Cheers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Best braces are upcoming sba3 and the new doublestar imo..

First supposedly works work standard Milspec tube, second a standard pistol tube but check diameter range..

Check out FM products.. honestly your brand lower only really matches well aestheticly with their upper. So maybe look at building based off their upper. FM barrel and bolt is a beauty.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 2:01:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Greetings pistol pros.

I just purchased this Angstadt 9mm Glock mag-compatible Lower:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/285/9mm-1-484269-496633.JPG

My intent is to make a PDW-style 9mm AR pistol.

1) What are the best PDW-style pistol braces?  Maxim?

2) Do these braces require any special buffer/buffer tubes?

3) What are my best choices/sources for Glock mag-compatible uppers?

4) 9mm 4-8" Barrel choices/sources?

5) Side charging?

6) other thoughts?

Cheers.
View Quote
Most...if not all these questions have been talked about in other build threads....or have their own threads.
Try looking at a few of them for the information you are wanting.
There is alot of good info just in the 1st two or 3 pages of this area of the forum.

_
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most...if not all these questions have been talked about in other build threads....or have their own threads.
Try looking at a few of them for the information you are wanting.
There is alot of good info just in the 1st two or 3 pages of this area of the forum.

_
View Quote
Having spent many hours now reading these threads, some questions remain.

Especially regarding the Angstadt lower...

From an aesthetic point of view, Does the design of the Angstadt lower really make getting an Angstadt upper a preferred course of action?

From a functional point of view, are there any downsides to getting a side charging upper?

Would any of the common side charging uppers match the Angstadt lower better than others?  Matrix, FM, NFA, etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Having spent many hours now reading these threads, some questions remain.

Especially regarding the Angstadt lower...

From an aesthetic point of view, Does the design of the Angstadt lower really make getting an Angstadt upper a preferred course of action?

From a functional point of view, are there any downsides to getting a side charging upper?

Would any of the common side charging uppers match the Angstadt lower better than others?  Matrix, FM, NFA, etc.
View Quote
I know this is a 9mm thread so bear with me....

I have an Angstadt Arms 1045 lower which is a .45 cal and I had the excact same question as you. In my opinion YES, get the Angstadt Upper too because the lines will line up. These aren’t great pictures but hopefully you can see the lines.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Now for the side charging question. I don’t like mine. I have a Quarter Circle 10 9mm Colt Lower and a Quarter Circle 10 Side Charging Upper. The Upper is made by Gibbz for QC 10 . In my opinion the finger latch to charge it is too small, and I have medium hands. Sometimes it doesn’t want to depress so I have to fiddle with it to make it depress. It is annoying as shit. That doesn’t mean all side chargers are like this though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!

One piece at a time...
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The SB PDW brace comes with its own proprietary buffer tube. I love mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Weight wise, the best option would be a  blade, tailhook, or doublestar brace. The pdw style look cool, but are expensive and heavy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#9]
5.25” SLR Handguard added to the project...

Attachment Attached File

Looking at a 5.5” Ballistic Advantage barrel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have 5 and 8.5 in stock.....let me look on my bench and make sure I don't still have a 5.5 .......if running a flash can, it won't matter....
View Quote
With the 5.25” Handguard, what is the shortest barrel I can use, and still use s flash hider?

5.5”?  5”?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

With the 5.25” Handguard, what is the shortest barrel I can use, and still use s flash hider?

5.5”?  5”?

Thanks!
View Quote
9mm barrels are measured by the OAL, as the chamber is located in the "barrel extension" portion.

On a standard rifle barrel, the chamber starts partway through the barrel extension, so the legal barrel length is shorter than the OAL.

If you ever plan to use a suppressor, you might consider installing a 3-lug adapter instead of a flash hider or flash can. It never hurts to plan ahead.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
you'd need about a 6.25 to 6.5 inch barrel....
View Quote
Are you counting the barrel extension?

Edit:  addressed above.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Best braces are upcoming sba3 and the new doublestar imo..

First supposedly works work standard Milspec tube, second a standard pistol tube but check diameter range..

Check out FM products.. honestly your brand lower only really matches well aestheticly with their upper. So maybe look at building based off their upper. FM barrel and bolt is a beauty.
View Quote
I have both..
Get the SB Tactical PDW.

Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I prefer the 8" to 8.5" barrel

Get a 1 in 16" twist barrel for best accuracy with all ammo, including sub-sonic 147gr. No 9mm barrel should ever have a 1 in 10" twist. Target shooters using 115gr target loads use 1 in 32" twist barrels.

I personally prefer the SBA3 brace.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:44:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I prefer the 8" to 8.5" barrel

Get a 1 in 16" twist barrel for best accuracy with all ammo, including sub-sonic 147gr. No 9mm barrel should ever have a 1 in 10" twist. Target shooters using 115gr target loads use 1 in 32" twist barrels.

I personally prefer the SBA3 brace.
View Quote
Quick, somebody better tell Glock, S&W, H&K, CMMG, Ruger, Macon Armory, and Kel-Tec that they're all doing it wrong...

9mm Twist Rates:

Glock (All 9mm): 9.84"
S&W M&P-9: 10"
H&K VP-9: 9.8"
H&K P30: 9.84"
H&K P2000: 9.84"
CMMG: 10"
Ruger PC-9: 10"
Macon Armory: 10"
Kel-Tec Sub-2000: 10"

I know there are some manufacturers that use a 1:16" twist (like KKM), but I'd much rather stick with what the majority of manufacturers are using, which is 1:10".
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#18]
question, how do I post just the image and not the link, have tried and this works on all other forums except here, why ?

Almost done, not sure I even need a flash sup/hider on a 9mm, thoughts?

This all breaks down and fits in my standard attaché.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Why not put a flash can on it?  That's a nice setup.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with an X Products side charging upper for my QC10 Glock lower build. I don’t care for the braces and SBR’d mine so I can’t help with that question. As for the details of my build, the parts list is below. I ran 300 rounds through it so far and it’s running flawlessly.

QC10 lower
QC10 BCG
QC10 7 1/2” barrel
Hydrolic buffer
Noveske NSR rail
Colt LPK
X Products side charging upper
Aimpoint PRO

I have an Aimpoint T2 and LaRue LT660 that’s taking the place of the PRO this week.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a matching Angstadt upper on the way...

Going with a BA 5.5” or a Macon Armory 5” barrel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#23]
@Mad-Machinist : I see the bolt.  You guys have Glock-compatible bolt carrier groups?

I bought the Angstadt upper...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, I'd personally shy away from the BA barrel. Lots of folks here have had issues with them feeding HPs and flat nose subsonic rounds. The answer is reprofiling the feed ramp. But why do that when you can just buy a barrel that you know will run all ammo from the start.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP, I'd personally shy away from the BA barrel. Lots of folks here have had issues with them feeding HPs and flat nose subsonic rounds. The answer is reprofiling the feed ramp. But why do that when you can just buy a barrel that you know will run all ammo from the start.
View Quote
I got a very good deal on a BA 5.5” barrel.  It’s a newer version with the improved feed ramp.

I’m bargain hunting, and using PayPal.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#27]
i really like those Angstadt lower and upper setups especially with a side charge. But its always been out of my price range. So i always went with the joe Bob/NFA lower and side charge upper. Pretty happy with them no issues. and love the price.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
i really like those Angstadt lower and upper setups especially with a side charge. But its always been out of my price range. So i always went with the joe Bob/NFA lower and side charge upper. Pretty happy with them no issues. and love the price.
View Quote
Angstadt doesn’t make a side charging upper.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The SB PDW brace comes with its own proprietary buffer tube. I love mine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/341181/IMG_3122-511220.JPG
View Quote
Yep. SB PDW is where it's at.

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#30]
It's out of gaol?  
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Question:  Iron sight preferences or limitations associated with so short a platform?
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Question:  Iron sight preferences or limitations associated with so short a platform?
View Quote
I didn't go with back up sights on my AR9. I have an 8" barrel and SB PDW brace. It's a range toy only so I went with a Bushnell TRS25
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I didn't go with back up sights on my AR9. I have an 8" barrel and SB PDW brace. It's a range toy only so I went with a Bushnell TRS25
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like irons.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Got a 5.5” BA in the mail.  1/2x28 threads...

Attachment Attached File

Nice ramp...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I like irons.  
View Quote
If it works for ya then good on ya. For me though, I'm shooting 147g subs and out to about 75yds is all I shoot with the AR9. So to me it makes more sense to use a red dot for faster target acquisition at those distances instead of trying to align 2 points of reference on the same plane. Like I said, that's me
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I’ve got ACOGs, T1s, and variables.

And irons.  

Renaissance Man.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Added Tacfire 9mm bolt and Strike charging handle...

Attachment Attached File

Next up, muzzle device...
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Added Tacfire 9mm bolt and Strike charging handle...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/285/4DFF4364-E714-4983-9EB1-E2191CB3E6FA-546135.JPG

Next up, muzzle device...
View Quote
In Lead We Trust 3-Lug Adapter

Link Posted: 5/19/2018 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
im not sure why i said they didnt. i think i was just thinking of my sidecharge setup when posting that. I guess i meant to say i just love the Angstadt setup in general
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
im not sure why i said they didnt. i think i was just thinking of my sidecharge setup when posting that. I guess i meant to say i just love the Angstadt setup in general
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Side charging uppers are pretty cool.  But I couldn’t find one that would marry well with the distinctive Angstadt lower.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Side charging uppers are pretty cool.  But I couldn’t find one that would marry well with the distinctive Angstadt lower.
View Quote
I think when I was researching building my ar9 I’m pretty sure this was one of the other reasons I didn’t go with Angstadt. I was really wanting side charge. But I think I was almost going with the slick side setup they have but it was just too much. Cheaper to get the side charge at the time and it was a blem too with like a dot nick. I love buying blem. It’s always some minor crap and my gear isn’t safe queen shit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Added a Kaw Valley Linear Comp...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn.  Okay!
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 12:38:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Looks really nice.  I'm waiting for Optics Planet to ship my Pro-Mag adapter, then I'll have to look for a bolt.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 7:02:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Looks really nice.  I'm waiting for Optics Planet to ship my Pro-Mag adapter, then I'll have to look for a bolt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
For the bolt, look at Deltateamtactical.com

They were quick with great prices.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 4:36:22 AM EDT
[#48]
That’s coming along nicely.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a Maxim CQB PDW Brace one the way.  I’ve been pondering buffers/springs.

Communicating with the good folks at Maxim, they said this:

”If your BCG has a removable weight plug may either purchase one of our braces that has our proprietary CQB Pistol Buffer & Spring or our proprietary JP SCS (Silent Capture Spring) 9mm buffer system. With the weight plug removed this allows the rod on the JP SCS to pass through each time the bolt reciprocates. If you choose to run your BCG with the weight plug our CQB Pistol Caliber Buffer & Spring would be your choice. While utilizing a weight plug with a conventional buffer & spring this puts a little more weight at the rear of the BCG to help with bolt bounce (if any is present).

“If you plan on running your BCG without the weight plug I would suggest our JP SCS 9mm (as long as you are not planning on running a binary trigger). If you are running a select fire weapon system or a binary trigger the spring on the JP SCS can bind up by round three on a select fire burst.”

I’m not going to be select fire/binary.

I do have removable weights in my BCG.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Only thing left (for now) is to decide on a buffer/spring...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top