Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2021 1:07:47 PM EDT
hello, I just received a 80% cardinal forge lower from a guy on gun broker, I was just going to put it away till later but decided to try to mount a grip on it and discovered it would not go on, the receiver is too wide to let the grip slide on. I am concerned that maybe some other part of the receiver was milled wrong also . should I return it?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you measure it to see if it was the grip and not the lower? There are some off spec A2 grips out there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a cerro forge receiver and the  grip goes onto it nice and snug like it should.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Some are tight, some are loose.  Some almost require forcing them on.  I've only seen a thousandth or 2 variance.  Typically and for obvious reasons, the issues are generally with the injection molded grips.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a cerro forge receiver and the  grip goes onto it nice and snug like it should.
View Quote

With a plus or minus .005" tolerance a grip that was snug on say one lower that was at minimum width might seem like it would not fit a lower that was .010" bigger made to the maximum width. That's why I would measure to see if it was in spec.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#6]
try another grip
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Some grips go on really dry, a little fitting with a fine tooth file inside the grip and a little oil and it will go on.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
... I am concerned that maybe some other part of the receiver was milled wrong also . should I return it?
View Quote

Have you tried any other parts on the lower to see how they fit?  You may be able to answer your own question.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
The 1st reply is the most logical. Measure it and be sure. No point in being overly skeptical about the rest of the machining if the FIRST fitment is in spec. If the first fitment IS in spec, then there's no reason to be skeptical about the other machining considering there's no reason to presume it is.

Assuming the grip portion IS within spec and IF you are still a bit skeptical, might as well get a lower parts kit, with or without the trigger group and install the parts. That's a very small investment in both money and time to satisfy your question.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I found another grip used a little muscle and it went on all the way.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have had several receivers I had to bevel the edge of the grip to install it.
View Quote
This.

Not uncommon at all
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I just put together a PSA lower with a MOE+ grip.  Had to force it on until I couldn't get it any further.  Let the screw pull it the last 1/8th inch.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#13]
PUT THE LOWE IN THE FREEZER over night b4 you install grip. it will shrink a couple thou.....use wd40 also
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Grips are cheap. Alter it and call it a day. That's how this hobby works.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure how hard you pushed, but I like them when they are tight enough that I have to tap them into place with a mallet to get them on.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Try to attach an upper. Does that fit ok?

Trick (quiet, don't tell this secret to nobody), 1 wrap with tinfoil and then place the grip in your oven at ~150-175 for approx 10-15min (after the damn preheat). Grip will now slip right on.

But lets ask another question. Does the same grip have an issue on any other lower you have?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not sure how hard you pushed, but I like them when they are tight enough that I have to tap them into place with a mallet to get them on.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#18]
yes the receiver does latch on to an upper, just muscle  no tools to get the grip to slide on. thanks for the input .
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a square shaft screwdriver that works perfectly for this. Slide it between the grip and lower, twist the screwdriver to spread the ears of the grip. Even the tightest ones slide right on.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top